Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #646 of 1,431
Just got my pair today... gotta admit the highs seem a bit piercing outta the box but its been like 6 hours of burn-in and they *appear* to have tamed. The clarity and speed on these things are nothing short of amazing. I tried a/b'ing them with my Atrios which I've been using but they're really two very different earphones :/

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #647 of 1,431

Quote:

Thanks, appreciate it :)

As always, take the review with a grain of salt (like all reviews).  Especially considering this is not written for 100% audiophiles.

Audiophile or not, I don't understand how you can give the bass 5 stars when you also say it lacks the quantity of the bass light ADDIEMs or the texture of ue500s. It may be great but if you're going to do a critical review grade appropriately. You may prefer the overall bass character of the B2 over those others but your own review points to it as being less than 5 star perfect. Other than that, I like the writing style and format. Thanks.

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #648 of 1,431

Quote:
Just got my pair today... gotta admit the highs seem a bit piercing outta the box but its been like 6 hours of burn-in and they *appear* to have tamed. The clarity and speed on these things are nothing short of amazing. I tried a/b'ing them with my Atrios which I've been using but they're really two very different earphones :/

FWIW, I think the deeper you shove them in your ear the less bright they become :)

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #649 of 1,431
Shoved them in pretty damn deep. Think i'm still getting used to the IEM's fit though... Also you gotta understand I'm coming from a Dynamic Driver with some serious bass behind it :wink:

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #650 of 1,431

Quote:
Audiophile or not, I don't understand how you can give the bass 5 stars when you also say it lacks the quantity of the bass light ADDIEMs or the texture of ue500s. It may be great but if you're going to do a critical review grade appropriately. You may prefer the overall bass character of the B2 over those others but your own review points to it as being less than 5 star perfect. Other than that, I like the writing style and format. Thanks.

I have to disagree with that.  It has more quantity than the ADDIEMs (I've ABed them), but doesn't have the texture of the 500s.  The texture is still good nonetheless.  I honestly have to say that it is one of the best bass I've heard (in quality), it digs deep, has good punch, good texture and doesn't intrude. 

For some odd reason, the thing that really stuck out to me the most was the bass on these, I don't know why.  Even after ABing them, going back and forth with several IEMs (from extremely bass heavy to bass light), these seemed to be the perfect quantity along with really good quality. 

Also an FYI, 5 stars doesn't always equal perfect just like a 36 on the ACT may not be a perfect test (you can get up to two questiosn wrong) or an A+ doesn't mean perfect either (97% is still an A+).  It just means they got so close to the mark that got them a perfect score. 

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #651 of 1,431
I have to disagree with that.  It has more quantity than the ADDIEMs (I've ABed them), but doesn't have the texture of the 500s.  The texture is still good nonetheless.  I honestly have to say that it is one of the best bass I've heard (in quality), it digs deep, has good punch, good texture and doesn't intrude. 

For some odd reason, the thing that really stuck out to me the most was the bass on these, I don't know why.  Even after ABing them, going back and forth with several IEMs (from extremely bass heavy to bass light), these seemed to be the perfect quantity along with really good quality. 

Also an FYI, 5 stars doesn't always equal perfect just like a 36 on the ACT may not be a perfect test (you can get up to two questiosn wrong) or an A+ doesn't mean perfect either (97% is still an A+).  It just means they got so close to the mark that got them a perfect score. 

Heh, I would agree with you if we are dealing strictly with BA based iem's, but I still find the B2's lacking in the bass department...Maybe i'm just still getting used to it.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #652 of 1,431
I own both the Hippo VB and FA Eterna which are considered as bass heavy IEMs and comparing them to the Brainwavz B2, the B2 is definitely not lacking in bass, both in quantity and quality. I would surmise that if you neutralize the upper frequencies (treble), they would probably sound as bass heavy as the Hippo VB and Eterna. They sound really solid especially in the sub-bass department. With that said, I give credit to Fischer Audio for designing the original product - FA DBA-02. No offense to Brainwavz but I think the B2 are just clones of the DBA-02.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #653 of 1,431

Quote:
Heh, I would agree with you if we are dealing strictly with BA based iem's, but I still find the B2's lacking in the bass department...Maybe i'm just still getting used to it.

They definitely aren't lacking in bass quality, they do sound like they lack quantity because the headphones are brighter, but the quantity is still actually quite high and more than enough for many genres.  No, they may not be enough for rap and dub step, but they are sufficient for many other genres.  Like stated above, if you do a treble reduction EQ (I'm using the one on my iPod), you will hear what I'm talking about.  The bass took about a week and a half to really grow on my.

This comparison was done this time with:
  1. B2s + treble reduction EQ on iPod (this EQ doesn't touch bass, there was no volume adjustments)
  2. XE200s (unless they have randomly turned into BAs)
Granted, you are right, XE200s have much more quantity (at least 3-5 dB more), but the quality is about equal and more than sufficient. 

Both headphones are running at 5 notches (5/16 or 31.25% of the total volume on my iPod)

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #654 of 1,431
Quote:
I own both the Hippo VB and FA Eterna which are considered as bass heavy IEMs and comparing them to the Brainwavz B2, the B2 is definitely not lacking in bass, both in quantity and quality. I would surmise that if you neutralize the upper frequencies (treble), they would probably sound as bass heavy as the Hippo VB and Eterna. They sound really solid especially in the sub-bass department. With that said, I give credit to Fischer Audio for designing the original product - FA DBA-02. No offense to Brainwavz but I think the B2 are just clones of the DBA-02.

Both are just rebranded.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #655 of 1,431
I think my new B2s are broken :-/  I've had them for about a month and they've been fantastic.  I've used them on my phone and it's been great for the most part, but sometimes I get this underwater effect so I fiddle with the plug and it goes back to normal.  I didn't think much of it since it's a somewhat old phone and a similar thing happens with all headphones, so I assumed it was the old port being screwy and when I'd plug them into my computer, they'd work fine.  Now, the underwater effect seems to be permanent, including on my computer where there's never been an issue.  It does go back to normal if I push the end in a certain direction, but I can't get it to stay.  What should I do?  Any advice?  I take pretty good care of them; I don't yank them around and I try to fold them up neatly, so I'm not sure what could've happened.  I'm sure I've screwed up somewhere, but is it covered by the warranty?  If so, how can I get a replacement?  Any advice would be great, thanks.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #658 of 1,431
They definitely aren't lacking in bass quality, they do sound like they lack quantity because the headphones are brighter, but the quantity is still actually quite high and more than enough for many genres.  No, they may not be enough for rap and dub step, but they are sufficient for many other genres.  Like stated above, if you do a treble reduction EQ (I'm using the one on my iPod), you will hear what I'm talking about.  The bass took about a week and a half to really grow on my.

This comparison was done this time with:
  1. B2s + treble reduction EQ on iPod (this EQ doesn't touch bass, there was no volume adjustments)
  2. XE200s (unless they have randomly turned into BAs)
Granted, you are right, XE200s have much more quantity (at least 3-5 dB more), but the quality is about equal and more than sufficient. 

Both headphones are running at 5 notches (5/16 or 31.25% of the total volume on my iPod)

Perhaps you're right, but I don't like turning the treble down as I find it starting to sound a bit hollow. Also you hit the nail - They are not sufficient for genres like trance and dubstep, and some genres of rock - at least that's how I feel. But yes, I do find the bass quantity sufficient on all other genres. I have an E7 on the way, so i'm hoping it will help with the bass boost.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #659 of 1,431

Quote:
I think my new B2s are broken :-/  I've had them for about a month and they've been fantastic.  I've used them on my phone and it's been great for the most part, but sometimes I get this underwater effect so I fiddle with the plug and it goes back to normal.  I didn't think much of it since it's a somewhat old phone and a similar thing happens with all headphones, so I assumed it was the old port being screwy and when I'd plug them into my computer, they'd work fine.  Now, the underwater effect seems to be permanent, including on my computer where there's never been an issue.  It does go back to normal if I push the end in a certain direction, but I can't get it to stay.  What should I do?  Any advice?  I take pretty good care of them; I don't yank them around and I try to fold them up neatly, so I'm not sure what could've happened.  I'm sure I've screwed up somewhere, but is it covered by the warranty?  If so, how can I get a replacement?  Any advice would be great, thanks.

Check the 3.5 plug on the B2 to see if there is any cable fraying, it is the mostly likely cause of the problem also double check there is no gunk on the actual connector. If the problem persist then open a support ticket for a rma replacement at http://www.mp4nation.net/support the support team will sort you out.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #660 of 1,431
Thanks for the response Raz, the 3.5mm plug is perfectly clean as is the port and I'm not sure what you mean by cable fraying so I took a few pics of the B2s.  I took two of the end, since it seems the problem might be coming from there because if I fiddle around with the end, the full sound will come in and out, but i can't get it to stay, and one of the entire headset and wire to see if there might be any issues there that I can't see.  Oh, and I ordered them from Amazon, can I still get support from MP4Nation?  Thanks.

Pics:

http://i53.tinypic.com/35lzrpx.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ylp5w4.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/28am0jq.jpg

And please pardon the poor picture quality, I used my phone which is the only camera I have O.o

Quote:
Check the 3.5 plug on the B2 to see if there is any cable fraying, it is the mostly likely cause of the problem also double check there is no gunk on the actual connector. If the problem persist then open a support ticket for a rma replacement at http://www.mp4nation.net/support the support team will sort you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back