Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #542 of 1,431
Those red tips look really nice...
just sayin'
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #544 of 1,431
I have small ears and i find it difficult to find a good fit with the B2. i've already read brainwavz's guide to fitting the B2 but sadly it didnt work out for me. What should i do? I've tried all tips already.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #545 of 1,431
Quote:
How did the B2 sound with the Hifiman?

They scaled up nicely, tonal balance was neutral, everything was rendered accurately with good separation, and the main difference from my iPod Classic: soundstage became more expansive.

On a side note, I also listened to the Algorythm Solo with a bundled ALO amplifier and I'll say this after listening to both: diminishing returns are far more significant in portable sound than they are in desktop sound or speakers.

For the newbies out there who don't have a lot of money to burn and are running after absolute sound, you're barking up the wrong tree if you're trying to find it with portable amplifiers or souped up DAPs (or Algorythm Solos).

You can go very far with an ipod/sansa clip+ and efficient but excellent, cheaper-than-they-should-be, IEMs like B2s.

Quote:
I have small ears and i find it difficult to find a good fit with the B2. i've already read brainwavz's guide to fitting the B2 but sadly it didnt work out for me. What should i do? I've tried all tips already.

Have you tried squeezed down comply or the small comply?  Small comply don't come bundled with the B2 (I think medium does).

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #546 of 1,431
Argh!! Instead of refunding my money GD-Audiobase sent me a replacement brand new pair of DBA-02's without any channel imbalance. I am still trying to get my money back through my creditcard company, but now I have these DBA-02's which I don't need (just purchased the B2's). Is anyone interested in a fresh, brand new, unopened/unused pair of DBA-02's without channel imbalance? I'm from the Netherlands.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #548 of 1,431
He psychokinetically listened to the headphones.  It's all good, he can confirm that they are balanced :p  LMAO, in all seriousness, I am interested in know how he figured out they don't have channel imbalance :p

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #550 of 1,431
Hi. 

I just got my Brainwavz B2. 

First impression: Oh my God they're bright! And that's coming from a RE0 user! 

I've been reading a lot about the DBA-02 and B2. The are described as neutral, but I find my B2 to be incredibly bright, to the point voices sound shrill. It is REALLY treble emphasized. I've read that these have more bass than a RE0. I don't find that to be the case. And also, the mids are less than impressive, and it is quite laid back. 

I've read that early B2s are really bright, and the production models are tamed. Is it possible I got a pre production model?

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #551 of 1,431

Quote:

I've read that early B2s are really bright, and the production models are tamed. Is it possible I got a pre production model?

I think it's more likely your fit sucks.  No bass, shrill highs.  Yup.  And uh, yeah...not laid back.  B2/DBA is on the aggressive side.  RE0 is yaaawnnn by comparison.  

Assuming we aren't hearing 5 different versions of the RE0 that Fang says don't exist.  No idea.

What's your source?  Wondering about how you are driving the RE0.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #552 of 1,431
Yep, I'll agree with Anaxilus here.
Fit. Try the Comply foam tips that came with them.
1) It will allow you to insert it deeply... roll them tight and quickly insert... deep, before they expand.
2) They will attenuate the highs slightly, which could help if you are very sensisive.

But definitely make sure it is deep, tight and secure.

Good luck.

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #553 of 1,431
I have the v3 RE0. My source is a Archos 5 or computer sound card, sometimes amped with a Fiio E11 if I'm at home. 

With the comply tips, the highs reduce noticeably, I would say it makes the B2 slightly less trebly than RE0. I get more bass, but not much more than the RE0. The isolation is noticeably improved, but I was already getting better isolation than my RE0 with the stock tips on my B2.

I don't think it is my fit, because I found the B2 with silicone tips to be more isolating than my RE0 with Shure tips. Also, the treble is not tinny like when you're not getting a good fit. It is incredibly detailed, noticeably more than the RE0, but I think a part of that is due to the more emphasized treble.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #554 of 1,431
It's really not just a matter of checking seal.  Insertion depth is big too.  Simply put, deeper fit will shift the FR from high to low and you will get better body and bass presence and smooth treble w/o peaks and won't need foam attenuation.  Even Comply users usually trim the foam at the tips as to not attenuate the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back