Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 6, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #422 of 1,431
[size=10pt]@ deadsea.[/size]

[size=10pt]Yeah, I've actually noticed the slight unraveling as well. This did not happen to my DBA's, nor do I remember anyone ever writing about it. Odd... That said, everything else about this cable is exactly identical to the DBA's, which have held up very well.[/size]

[size=10pt]@ tinyman392 & aleki[/size]

[size=10pt]Your questions (concerns?) have been addressed before.[/size]

[size=10pt]The only way to A/B anything is to remove as many variables as possible.[/size]

[size=10pt]The comparisons I've made ('tween the DBA and B2) have been with the exact same ear tips: The trimmed Comply's (which do NOT diminish the highs... at all.)[/size]
[size=10pt]The extension on the low end is an insertion depth and seal factor more than a tip (Comply or otherwise) factor. As was discussed ad nauseum on the DBA-02 forum, deep insertion is key to great bass and punch.[/size]
[size=10pt]You are correct in your statement that seal is a huge factor in the sound of these. It is critical.[/size]

[size=10pt]With all variables being virtually removed but the IEM's themselves, the conclusion I've made is that MY pair of B2's has a slight roll-off in the upper-reaches of the highs... when compared to the DBA's, Otherwise the sound is identical. Speed is identical, tonality and instrument separation is identical. They are virtually the same IEM. The difference I experience may actually be one in manufacture, not design. So another pair may sound different, the same as the DBA in every way, or even brighter. I'm not sure of the tolerances in manufacture, so I can't speak to that... my only point is that the difference between the two is so incredibly slight and subtle that it may not be anything more than variations from one set to another.[/size]

[size=10pt]All that said, there is one further caveat. The observations made have been with brand new, fresh out of the box B2's. With time they may change. If the DBA's did, it was too gradual and subtle for me to notice... but this may actually be the difference. Either way, the B2's would be too new to make that judgment, and only time will tell.[/size]

[size=10pt]Cheers.[/size]

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #424 of 1,431

Quote:
anyone who got the straight  plug can post a picture?

If no one else does by tomorrow... I'll try. My B2's are out in the car.

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #426 of 1,431

Here you go. You can see the slight unraveling of the cable too. Just remembered that I'm all out of sleeving and heat shrink. :rolleyes:

Wonder if glue of some kind would be a good idea, just a tiny drop near the strain relief.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #428 of 1,431

Quote:
[size=10pt]@ deadsea.[/size]

[size=10pt]Yeah, I've actually noticed the slight unraveling as well. This did not happen to my DBA's, nor do I remember anyone ever writing about it. Odd... That said, everything else about this cable is exactly identical to the DBA's, which have held up very well.[/size]

[size=10pt]@ tinyman392 & aleki[/size]

[size=10pt]Your questions (concerns?) have been addressed before.[/size]

[size=10pt]The only way to A/B anything is to remove as many variables as possible.[/size]

[size=10pt]The comparisons I've made ('tween the DBA and B2) have been with the exact same ear tips: The trimmed Comply's (which do NOT diminish the highs... at all.)[/size]
[size=10pt]The extension on the low end is an insertion depth and seal factor more than a tip (Comply or otherwise) factor. As was discussed ad nauseum on the DBA-02 forum, deep insertion is key to great bass and punch.[/size]
[size=10pt]You are correct in your statement that seal is a huge factor in the sound of these. It is critical.[/size]

[size=10pt]With all variables being virtually removed but the IEM's themselves, the conclusion I've made is that MY pair of B2's has a slight roll-off in the upper-reaches of the highs... when compared to the DBA's, Otherwise the sound is identical. Speed is identical, tonality and instrument separation is identical. They are virtually the same IEM. The difference I experience may actually be one in manufacture, not design. So another pair may sound different, the same as the DBA in every way, or even brighter. I'm not sure of the tolerances in manufacture, so I can't speak to that... my only point is that the difference between the two is so incredibly slight and subtle that it may not be anything more than variations from one set to another.[/size]

[size=10pt]All that said, there is one further caveat. The observations made have been with brand new, fresh out of the box B2's. With time they may change. If the DBA's did, it was too gradual and subtle for me to notice... but this may actually be the difference. Either way, the B2's would be too new to make that judgment, and only time will tell.[/size]

[size=10pt]Cheers.[/size]

That would make perfect sense. Breakin, though very subtle on some things, generally removes brightness and helps extension. I bet they're identical or even closer to it with time.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #431 of 1,431

Quote:

Here you go. You can see the slight unraveling of the cable too. Just remembered that I'm all out of sleeving and heat shrink.
rolleyes.gif

Wonder if glue of some kind would be a good idea, just a tiny drop near the strain relief.

I wouldn't recommend doing anything as the cable has quite a bit of memory, it takes a lot of effort to unravel, even forcefully trying you will find the cable wanting to twist back. My only suggestions would be to give the cable a quick light twist with your fingers, you may also want to see if how you are storing them is causing any issue. Longevity-wise, generally, the cable should not give issues, but i would not use glue or shrink wrap as goodvibes pointed out, you don't want it stiff or brittle as this could cause cable fray, which will be far more damaging to your cables.

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #432 of 1,431

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend doing anything as the cable has quite a bit of memory, it takes a lot of effort to unravel, even forcefully trying you will find the cable wanting to twist back. My only suggestions would be to give the cable a quick light twist with your fingers, you may also want to see if how you are storing them is causing any issue. Longevity-wise, generally, the cable should not give issues, but i would not use glue or shrink wrap as goodvibes pointed out, you don't want it stiff or brittle as this could cause cable fray, which will be far more damaging to your cables.

I'd doubt it's to do with the way I'm storing it. The typical coiled in the carrying case. And it was untwisting while in use. Maybe I just happened to bend in a strange way. But it stops untwisting at pretty much that point shown in the photo.

The good news is that twisting it back seems to work so far. Using some stuff to hold it in that way for a few days since i can't use them at the moment. Might as well use the time to help jog the cable's memory. Not really too serious an issue though.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #434 of 1,431

Quote:
You can twist it on wind. Try winding in the other direction or same direction starting from the other end and see if it corrects itself. I always hang with a little shake before using my IEMs. Not saying it's your fault but this may correct things for you if you find it an issue.

That's a possibility. I'll give it a spin once I get around to be able to be using the B2s again. Thanks! Hope they last good and long since I do like they way they sound.
etysmile.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #435 of 1,431

Quote:

Doesn't need it but the right type of soft rubber shrink should hurt anything either. I personally wouldn't want to bulk up either end of the cable. Like them flexable and not too thick with no memory wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back