Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 1, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #391 of 1,431

Quote:

I just got the B2s from amazon today. The box was a little bit squished from the way amazon packaged them but everything inside seemed to be ok. I haven't listened to them that much but so far they seem great. 

However, I got a straight plug. I thought these were coming with a 90 degree plug. The straight plug on my UE Super.fi 5 used to break within 3 months and I ended up going through 4 or 5 copies. Is there any indication about the durability of this plug and cables from the DBA02?

My DBA-02 straight plug held up very well until I screwed up and put a huge sideways yank on it (after about 8 months of very heavy use). It was pretty easy to solder a Neutrik plug on the original cables. PS. The DBA's in my avatar are the set that were recabled with a MEElec mic/remote cable.

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #392 of 1,431
Thanks shane55 and dfrost. That is good to hear. In the end, I had to solder a neutrik plug on my super.fi 5 so I guess if it comes to it, I can always do the same with the B2.  

Quote:
The DBA's in my avatar are the set that were recabled with a MEElec mic/remote cable.

dfrost, did you recable the DBA with the MEElec cable yourself or did you send it off for someone else to do? Also, I don't now if you happen to have an android phone but does the remote allow you to pause the music without having to access your phone each time?

Thanks for your help!

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #393 of 1,431
Sorry, should have searched the DBA-02 review thread before I asked the recabling question. I saw that Ethan ended up performing the recabling. It would be awesome if Brainwavz could offer the option to get the B2 with inline mic and remote. I would definitely go for that when my ipod breaks and I need to switch to using my Droid for music. I have the 5.5G ipod and it is nice being able to pause the music when someone is talking to me in lab.

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #394 of 1,431
Apparently I need to stop just buying stuff on a whim. I'm definitely not happy with these headphones. I really should have just read the reviews on the DBs, but I didn't. I love all of the lower end Brainwavz models (especially the M3) so I had some high hopes that maybe, just maybe, I'd like a BA based IEM. Guess I was wrong. These things just are not made for hip hop no matter what...the bass...distorts at moderately high volume, even with the EQ flat on my J3. I can crank the hell out of the player with bbe enhancements on my J3 with the GR07s and they don't blink an eye. Perfectly clear and textured bass.

Obviously this isn't really a knock on the B2s because I don't think they are designed for it. For rock and some vocal genres, these things are extremely clear and accurate...I just don't listen to that type of music all that often. This is more of a warning to those potential buyers that sometimes like to crank the bass up a little bit. The GR07s just seem to be more versatile. They can be nice and balanced and neutral if need be, and you can turn them into a V or U shaped IEM via EQ if you so desire.

I love the look, design and cable of the B2...that's definitely a plus...just can't listen to them. :) Maybe the M4 will be awesome (if one every comes out). I guess I just have to stick with dynamics. Lesson learned.

Jul 2, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #395 of 1,431

Quote:
Not sure why the B2s would not be something for hip-hop or other bass-featured genres. When I stick in the B2s (I found Ety tri-flanges a perfect tip for best bass) and turn on The Roots, no bass distortion, just great sound. No, they are not bass-heavy IEMs. But they reflect the bass on those Roots tracks pretty well (I don't have much other hip-hop music). If you bought from Amazon, you have 30 days to return them.

Oh I know about the return policy.  Gonna use it tomorrow.  Maybe I just listen to my music too loud...it's a possibility for sure.  I just know that the GR07 is deeper and more well rounded at the levels I listen to without any distortion at all.  Maybe I got a bunk pair, but I doubt it.  They sound great for rock or some vocal stuff, but they just cant hang with the GR07s when it comes to hip hop.  At least with my current setup of the J3...or my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Fiio e5 headphone amp.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #396 of 1,431
Got mine and like them but I really prefer my Grados which already have a detailed sig. Understandable at 3 times the price so if somebody wants a deal, check the sig. I probably didn't give them a fair chance by not breaking them in as I believe it can affect some BAs but I thought I'd keep them fresh. I wanted to hear what the fuss was about. I get it
bigsmile_face.gif
but don't really need them. I found them a bit lean and detailed without being too etched. Bass was easy to follow. Lots better than Q-Jays for me. Found the fit and construction fine. Tried different foam and silicone tips from Shure flanges and foam to hybrids to comply for a minute or so each to get a quick take and they didn't sound funky with any of them. What's not to like if this sig is your freind. I'd take my Grados or a pr of JH5s over them but those are lots more expensive.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #397 of 1,431

Quote:
Oh I know about the return policy.  Gonna use it tomorrow.  Maybe I just listen to my music too loud...it's a possibility for sure.  I just know that the GR07 is deeper and more well rounded at the levels I listen to without any distortion at all.  Maybe I got a bunk pair, but I doubt it.  They sound great for rock or some vocal stuff, but they just cant hang with the GR07s when it comes to hip hop.  At least with my current setup of the J3...or my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Fiio e5 headphone amp.

There was a member on our forums, who tried a q-Jays with his iPhone on max volume, because "60% is for quiet listening" according to him. Of course it distorted like hell, and he was really pissed, that an expensive earphone like that "has crappy bass." I guess the B2 can't take that much power either.

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #398 of 1,431
How do you crank up volume on the E5 and not distort bass?  I hope you aren't using bass boost on the E5, it unlistenable to my ears like most bass boost out there.  Is the output impedance of the E5 even <1 ohm?  Though I've never noticed running into problems w/ the DBA on anything.

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #399 of 1,431

Quote:
How do you crank up volume on the E5 and not distort bass?  I hope you aren't using bass boost on the E5, it unlistenable to my ears like most bass boost out there.  Is the output impedance of the E5 even <1 ohm?  Though I've never noticed running into problems w/ the DBA on anything.

I assume you're talking to me because I mentioned the e5...and to answer your question no, I was not using the e5 to test out the B2s.  I was coming straight out of my J3.  Songs that were nice and full of bass (How Low can You Go by Ludacris) distort on the B2 and they are clear and full on the GR07s.  So unless I find a way to lessen the bass output on the B2s, they just don't sound as good for hip hop and rap as the GR07s.

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #400 of 1,431

Quote:
I assume you're talking to me because I mentioned the e5...and to answer your question no, I was not using the e5 to test out the B2s.  I was coming straight out of my J3.  Songs that were nice and full of bass (How Low can You Go by Ludacris) distort on the B2 and they are clear and full on the GR07s.  So unless I find a way to lessen the bass output on the B2s, they just don't sound as good for hip hop and rap as the GR07s.

Fair enough.  Let me pop in the B2's and have a go w/ my stuff.  I've never noticed bass distortion on them or the DBA-02.  Brb.

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #401 of 1,431
Confirmed!  Using max bass boost at about 85dB on the Arrow 2G, 4G and ZO distorts the bass driver.  Definitely operating out of spec.  Listening at normal flat though is fine through both Arrows, Pico Slim, ZO is fine though.  If you use Eq or effects to enhance low end bass in search of rumble the driver will not comply.

FYI the UERM handles all the bass boost you want, no distortion.

50 Cent 'In Da Club' used.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #404 of 1,431

Quote:
What's are differences compared to Fischer audio DBA02? 

A couple pages before this, someone said something about it not being as harsh (treble/high wise) compared tot he DBAs.  Everything else was identical.  Again, this wasn't said by me since I have yet to hear either headphone.

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #405 of 1,431

Quote:
A couple pages before this, someone said something about it not being as harsh (treble/high wise) compared tot he DBAs.  Everything else was identical.  Again, this wasn't said by me since I have yet to hear either headphone.

Well... something like that. DBA-02 is not harsh. My pair of B2 is less harsh than the B2 review prototypes, and slightly (very slightly) less bright than the DBA-02. And yes, otherwise identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back