Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 10, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #242 of 1,431
Thanks for the impressions, shane55.. assuming the production cable (OFC) gets the treble issues taken care of, how do you see these next to the DBA? Are they too similar to both own or are they in any way complementary?

May 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #243 of 1,431
@FlySweep
Um, actually the whole point of this exercise, for me, is to find an IEM that is as close to the DBA-02 as possible. Other than the blistering highs, these are nearly identical. If the production model tames these highs, they will be twins to the DBA-02. To me that is a very good thing indeed as I wear the DBA's daily for hours, and I'm a bit rough with them. I can see them leaving this earth in the not too distant future for one reason or another... Basically I'm looking for a spare DBA.

These will work perfectly.... or so it would seem.

EDIT: Clarification.

May 10, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #244 of 1,431

Quote:
@FlySweep
Um, actually the whole point of this exercise, for me, is to find an IEM that is as close to the DBA-02 as possible. Other than the blistering highs, these are nearly identical. If the production model tames these highs, they will be twins to the DBA-02. To me that is a very good thing indeed as I wear the DBA's daily for hours, and I'm a bit rough with them. I can see them leaving this earth in the not too distant future for one reason or another... Basically I'm looking for a spare DBA.

These will work perfectly.... or so it would seem.

EDIT: Clarification.

I've posted before that the DBA-02 are very similar to the Westone 2, although I felt the W2 had a little better warmth, body and presence, plus a little larger soundstage.

May 11, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #246 of 1,431

Quote:
Part II

[size=10pt]@ kanuka. The female voice is clear and forward and true. Ella, Diana, Nora, Melody, Ana Caram, Bonnie Raitt all sounded wonderful. You can hear their breath and their lips. Detail is incredible, but there is also a natural fullness and richness to them.[/size]
[size=10pt]These have great mids... well actually pretty great across the spectrum.[/size]

[size=10pt]But here is tonights revelation: There is a big difference between the tips I used this evening and the tips I used earlier today.[/size]
[size=10pt]My normal tips with the DBA-02 are the Comply P-Series... well; those didn't work so well this evening. The T-100's I used this afternoon (and now, as I type this), are the only things I can use. These are untrimmed, and dial back the highs slightly.[/size]
[size=10pt]Dialing back the highs slightly is what is needed with these. I'm hoping this is the result of the silver cables they used. Much of what I read before discusses the brightness (stridence) of these and attributes it to the silver. Well, I'll put my stamp of "youbetcha" on that analysis.[/size]
[size=medium]These are strident and they are overly bright.[/size]
[size=medium]They are fatiguing… but this can be moderated somewhat by the tips (and maybe a bit of the dreaded EQ).. The DBA’s are perfect with the Comply P-Series, this review pair of B2’s cannot handle that ‘open, honesty’. The Comply’s need to be un-trimmed… and they’re still too hot.[/size]

[size=medium]And so, my hope is that the copper cables on the production B2’s will work just as they do on the DBA-02.[/size]
[size=medium]As these review units stand, they are too bright even for my tastes, but other than that, they are wonderful, with a great sense of playfulness and speed. They are amazingly transparent and neutral. Every instrument I’ve heard tonight sounds pretty much right on the money. Stringed instruments sound very present and ‘plucked’ or ‘bowed’ in real space. This makes sense, of course due to the overpowering highs. The entire upper register is skewed to the bright, but the rest is near perfect.[/size]

[size=medium]I give a big thumbs up to the B2, more for what I hope they become than what these are.[/size]

[size=medium]Cheers.[/size]

Thanks Shane55 for your feedback on our B2, i can also assure you that the highs on the final production run are tamer than the ones you have, peoples ears will be quite satisfied with the sounding.

I just want to add that some other things that people have been asking about:
  1. Cable will have a 90degree plug, we can't get the 45degree plug for this production run without adding additional delay, which i don't want to do. I will be getting a 45degree plug used on the next production run as we will have time between production runs to get the reliability testing and RoHS test done again for the B2.
  2. There will be a 6.3" adapter and airplane adapter included.

I will be heading off to the factory tomorrow to inspect production and get a few production samples for reviewers :)

May 11, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #247 of 1,431

Quote:
Thanks Shane55 for your feedback on our B2, i can also assure you that the highs on the final production run are tamer than the ones you have, peoples ears will be quite satisfied with the sounding.

1. Cable will have a 90degree plug, we can't get the 45degree plug for this production run without adding additional delay, which i don't want to do. I will be getting a 45degree plug used on the next production run as we will have time between production runs to get the reliability testing and RoHS test done again for the B2.

I will be heading off to the factory tomorrow to inspect production and get a few production samples for reviewers :)

1) that cable seems to be better for me as i use a clip+, as far as it doesnt affect the SQ
though i personally prefer the straight plug...

2) about the adapters , people who already preodered will also get them later?

May 11, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #248 of 1,431

Quote:

That was interesting... my post just disappeared. So I'll try this again.

Thanks Razz.

I'm glad to hear your assurances about the decreased highs in the production model. It will be appreciated.

The 90 degree plug is on the DBA-02 and I find it just fine for my purposes.

And... if you're needing an extra set of ears for your production reviews... feel free to add my name (even though I already pre-ordered).
wink_face.gif

cheers

May 11, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #249 of 1,431

Quote:
1) that cable seems to be better for me as i use a clip+, as far as it doesnt affect the SQ
though i personally prefer the straight plug...

2) about the adapters , people who already preodered will also get them later?

I think Razz meant that they will all come that way.

May 12, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #250 of 1,431
Ok, today I had a slight scare.
When going over what I wrote last night I realized that I may have been a bit strong in my wording about the B2. 
redface.gif
  I don't want anyone to get the impression that the production units would need their highs to be dialed back to the point of... oh I don't know, let's say the SM3.
Even as bright as they are, they are far superior in detail, clarity, brilliance, etc. than much else I've heard.

The over exuberance of the highs are just a bit much, even for a treblehead like me... but please don't kill them in the production models. If they can be mostly corrected by untrimmed Comply's, the imbalance is really fairly small.

That's all... just clarifying.

EDIT: I am going to need some more time with these. I'm hearing them a bit differently this evening than last. So, maybe it's allergies (pollen, what pollen?), barometric pressure... who knows. Fit is the same (if there is one thing I know, it's how these fit...), so it's got to be something else. Listening to them this afternoon they sounded as they did yesterday, but not now. More to come.

May 12, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #251 of 1,431

Quote:
Ok, today I had a slight scare.
When going over what I wrote last night I realized that I may have been a bit strong in my wording about the B2. 
redface.gif
  I don't want anyone to get the impression that the production units would need their highs to be dialed back to the point of... oh I don't know, let's say the SM3.
Even as bright as they are, they are far superior in detail, clarity, brilliance, etc. than much else I've heard.

The over exuberance of the highs are just a bit much, even for a treblehead like me... but please don't kill them in the production models. If they can be mostly corrected by untrimmed Comply's, the imbalance is really fairly small.

That's all... just clarifying.

EDIT: I am going to need some more time with these. I'm hearing them a bit differently this evening than last. So, maybe it's allergies (pollen, what pollen?), barometric pressure... who knows. Fit is the same (if there is one thing I know, it's how these fit...), so it's got to be something else. Listening to them this afternoon they sounded as they did yesterday, but not now. More to come.

I've had that happen to me before, changes in sound for a variety of physiological and atmospheric reasons, and more time usually helps straighten out impressions.

May 19, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #255 of 1,431

Quote:
Just follow this thread:
http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21723

Pretty much don't expect any further delays :)

Thanks Raz.  Am sure these will have been worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back