Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 19, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #121 of 1,431
Gotta say those look great. Would be really cool if the twisted cable they're going to use would be black and red instead of black and white to match.

Am I missing something here? They have a black plastic body with a read stripe around them. Not exactly revolutionary in appearance.

I'm a little surprised that as a clone of the Fischer Audio DBA-02 their MSRP is $10 higher.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #124 of 1,431

Packaging: same packaging as the lower tier brainwavz phones, black box with one or two foam inserts to protect the phones.simple and sweet

Accessories: ear gliders are included, three sizes of tips (compatible with the shure se535 and westone eartips)along with three more pairs of comply eartips with was guards. Along with a hard fabric case.
Build quality:no complaints here, fit and finish is very nice with cabling borrowed from the lower tier phones once again.

Microphonics: the current review sample does not contain a chin slider but the final version will feature one. One of my main complaints with the past phones. Conveniently, if the left and right earpieces are flipped, the phones can be worn in the over ear position. Cable has slight memory making it difficult to wear over the ears without the slider (will be rectified)

Bass: typical of balanced armature phones, audible, very quick and transparent.  Not overbearing though it will almost be too light in bass for users who are used to dynamic phones.

Mids: not overly forward or recessed, balanced in relation to the bass and treble

Treble: has a sparkle, nothing like the TF10’s though (which bordered on annoying) interesting update, with the stock single flange eartips, the phones have a tendency to be sibilant though it isn't noticeable for most songs, don't have any other tips at the moment that will fit the nozzle so i can't comment much more on that. although insertion depth doesn't seem to change the issue much.
Soundstage:very good instrument  separation and soundstage. Left to right is wider than forward and backward. Soundstage makes everything seem very balanced and clean due to the seperation of the instruments and the detail.

Overall sound sig: slight emphasis on treble, other than that, the sound is very balanced and clean as a typical BA phone should sound like. For the preorder price of $120, I recommend purchasing these over the TF10’s which has a recessed mid and a overly sparkly treble. not to mention fit issues for many assuming you can live with the sibilance at times.

Mar 20, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #127 of 1,431

Quote:
just wondering if it will be hard to drive? im currently using ipod touch 2g here, which i heard isnt too good at driving certain iems. will the sq be badly affected?

it's very easily driven in my book, I'll report on comparisons later

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #129 of 1,431
Yeah... I ordered them too.
I have a feeling this thread will get very busy come April. 
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #130 of 1,431

Quote:
Quote:
Gotta say those look great. Would be really cool if the twisted cable they're going to use would be black and red instead of black and white to match.

Am I missing something here? They have a black plastic body with a read stripe around them. Not exactly revolutionary in appearance.

I'm a little surprised that as a clone of the Fischer Audio DBA-02 their MSRP is $10 higher.

DBA2 are S$250 in Singapore about US$200. I am waiting to see what the sing dealer for Brainwavz will sell the b2 for.

Raz: Will the B2 be available locally in Singapore?

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #131 of 1,431

Quote:
Quote:

This sin't a Fischer clone as much as oem product being marketed by 2 companies. Fischer just got there first.

The DBAs go up $10 when actually in stock and don't come with a hardcase or complies. Same retail but less goodies for the Fischers and they were never sold as cheaply as the B2 is right now. MP4 often has deals so I suspect that those willing to wait will be able to match or better the DBA price. I also expect these to sound the same. The filter is the same, the case is the same, I would wager that the x-over is the stock cap that comes on the twfk for both and now the cable will also match. In fact they're probably just different runs in the same facility. I would liked to have seen a subtle filter in them to slightly defferentiate it from the DBA and the extensive tip debate but for this deal, what's not to like? I also suspect that MP4 initially used their cable to diffferentiate it more but the cable took the sig in the wrong direction. It will be better and likely a hair cheaper to make as they will produce them. Really, what's not to like at this intro price?

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #133 of 1,431

Quote:

DBA2 are S$250 in Singapore about US$200. I am waiting to see what the sing dealer for Brainwavz will sell the b2 for.

Raz: Will the B2 be available locally in Singapore?

Yes you should be able to get the B2 locally in Singapore, but i can't tell you how much the local price will be or if it will differ in pricing from MP4 Nation at this time.

Quote:
it's very easily driven in my book, I'll report on comparisons later

Looking forward to reading your comparison.

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #135 of 1,431

Quote:
Yeah I went ahead and pre-ordered these for absolutely no reason lol. Im pretty content with my e-q5 and plan on buying the re272 when its released. Wallet continues to hurt.

I'm so eager for the 272 release my wallet is complaining more then my GF 
tongue.gif
.  I would love to hear a direct comparison between the B2 and DBA-02 when you receive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back