Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 3, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #61 of 1,431

Quote:
Rawster thanks for the feedback, the reason you may find the B2 slightly brighter than other twfk based earphones is due to the OFC silver cabling which is known to help make higher frequencies stand out better than normal cabling  can. I have to admit that even for me it took a bit getting used to, but after regular use i couldn't really notice it much. Feedback like yours is appreciated as the loaner program is not just to push our product but as a means to get feedback on a model that will soon go to mass production and as it is not in mass production we do have the chance to play around with the sound to see what we can do better tune it. A property of twfk drivers is that they are quite bright and this can be noted on almost all twfk based earphones, but i myself have been doing more work on audio filters and how they can aid in reducing or enhancing certain frequency ranges and seeing how this can help to better tune the B2, so far the results are mixed and there maybe nothing changed on the final B2 model, but should i come across a good combination i will let you and the others here know.

I have also got quite a few message on when the B2 will be available and pricing, we can go into mass production anytime, but the total production time would be about 2 months, so at the very earliest we are see the B2 in stock by end of April. The final pricing is not confirmed but i am trying hard to contain the end retail price to a max of USD$170, there are still things we need to work out so a lot of the material costs have not been finalized.

Good idea - audio filters can definitely make a difference. 

I found the AT CK10 too bright for me, and if the B2 is even brighter you may want to tweak that for sure.

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #63 of 1,431

Quote:
Good idea - audio filters can definitely make a difference. 

I found the AT CK10 too bright for me, and if the B2 is even brighter you may want to tweak that for sure.

I think this may be a good idea. I know filters make a pretty big difference so adding something in that could help with the brightness would definitely be a big  plus. I do like the CK10 and it can be considered bright for many so the B2 crosses that line in my experience. Of course some other reviewer didn't have the same issue so YMMV.

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #64 of 1,431

Quote:
I'm on the review list. If somebody is about to ship these to me, don't. I've had an unrelated issue with mp4 that I won't get into and have therefore decided to not participate. Sorry Razzer. Take me off the list and good luck with the voicing.

Sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to seeing what you (and everyone else on Razzer's list) had to think of these.

But at the same time, it does get me one number closer...
wink_face.gif

Mar 3, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #65 of 1,431
I'm sure it would have been hard for me not to fiddle with them and a short visit. I'm finding that I'm a bit sensitive to sibilance. My issue with mp4 is probably just a misunderstanding over a new cheap defective item that's not worth the effort of chasing over or jumping through hoops any longer. Somebody there can enjoy a latte with the credit they offered.
biggrin.gif
 Stuff happens and we move on.

Anybody want to hear my tune of a twfk ADDIEM as a lark. May cost me more than that latte to ship but hey, no charge. LOL Sacrificed a bit of top and got the bass up to bring the mids more in line by warming them very slightly. ADDIEMs use the twfk with the port plug removed but there's too large of a case vent to reinforce so the bass is just vague as stock. Typical lean mid and treble but detailed enough. It comes with a subtle nozzle filter so it's more lean than bright but I toned it down more. Maybe to a fault but I prefer it and now good enough to keep as a backup. Probably no longer hot enough for many here but when the mids are too far off, the rest becomes unimportant to me. This voicing stuff is tricky with how one range affects another and I can see why companies that specialize still have difficulty. It won't take much to significantly change the voicing of the B2 if MP4 decides to do so, though I it could never be middy or a bass monster . pm if you want to have a giggle with the ADDIEMs sans dissection.

No more of this here. Back to the B2.

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #66 of 1,431
I'll be sending the B2 off to the next user tomorrow as well as some other items so an efficient trip to the post office. I'll post my final thoughts soon..just haven't had time to put it all together

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #67 of 1,431

Quote:

I think this may be a good idea. I know filters make a pretty big difference so adding something in that could help with the brightness would definitely be a big  plus. I do like the CK10 and it can be considered bright for many so the B2 crosses that line in my experience. Of course some other reviewer didn't have the same issue so YMMV.

Its certainly interesting how certain materials affect sound, i feel like i am back in high school science classes learning all over again the property of materials. However in the case of the B2 it may just be that we opt to not go with a silver cabling but stick with the standard cable or make a copper ofc cable in the same form as we current make the Brainwavz cabling.

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #68 of 1,431
A Copper OFC cable sounds a lot more interesting than a standard cable, it will spice things up and be more unique. 

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #69 of 1,431
So this prototype has absolutely no filter in it at all?  Not even like the newer DBA where the filter is placed lower in the housing even thought not readily visible?  I don't think I know of any production IEM that ships filterless.  Would the plan be to change cable materials rather than add a filter?

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #71 of 1,431

Here are my final impressions of the B2 before I send them off to the next person. I would like to thank Raz for starting this review loaner program and giving me the opportunity to try out gear that I normally would not be able to unless I purchase it myself.

Build Quality

The B2 is a well built earphone. The housing and strain relief by the housing is identical to that found on the Fischer Audio DBA-02. The cable however is different and uses the same type of cable and plug as the ones used in the other Brainwavz earphones such as the M2 I own. There are some downsides to the cable and that is the memory effect of the cable. The cable tends to retain memory of how it is stored so it may be annoying for those who store earphones days or weeks at a time.

I do wish there was a chin slider as that would make over the ear fit much easier. There are ear guides but I do not like them and prefer a chin slider. It would help with microphonics as well since there is some due to the cable.

Isolation

Isolation of the B2 is very good and should be fine for most situations where isolation is needed such as my commute. From memory it is a tiny bit behind an Etymotic but should be on par with Shure.

Sound Signature

The bass is similar to what I expected out of the B2. It has more quantity than the CK10 but retains similar characteristics. It is fairly fast, tight, detailed and has good clarity. Extension while good is a bit less than the CK10. Decay is pretty fast here and that should come as no surprise considering the driver. Bass notes do not last very long so those used to dynamics may have an adjustment period to go through. I don't consider the B2 bass light and I also don't consider them bass heavy either. It is pretty close to neutral and just about right for my tastes.

The midrange is a bit forward here although it is not overly forward where the attention shifts to the midrange and nothing else. Clarity once again is very good here as is detail and speed. The B2 should be able to keep up with just about everything you throw in its way. The midrange is a bit aggressive so depending on how you like your music that may be a bad or good thing.

The upper midrange and treble has a bit of sibilance to it. Normally with these type of earphones triple flange tips do the job and keep it under control but the B2 is not an earphone meant to be tamed. The treble is definitely hot and sibilance can be painful depending on the amount of sibilance. While resolution is good the sibilance steals the show and puts the focus on that instead of what the B2 has to offer in this area. Typically I can handle my upper regions but I find the B2 has a bit much to it.

Sound stage is a bit above average with good depth and height. Instrument separation is pretty on key and you have a pretty good idea of where things are.

So basically overall tone of the B2 is that it tries to be balanced but it does have what I would like to call a hot treble. It is also a fairly aggressive sounding earphone. It does try to be balanced but a bit of attention is shifted towards the upper midrange and treble.

Conclusion

Depending on price and how you handle your upper regions it may be a good deal. I believe Raz is hoping the final price will be under $200 and if it is that price I would say it is a good deal if you like this kind of sound signature. It has a lot of aspects to keep up with the CK10 which I consider top tier but just a different type of good than the CK10.

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #72 of 1,431
Mar 4, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #73 of 1,431
Thanks for the review rawrster, much appreciated. I guess my ears just aren't as sensitive to sibilance issues. While I do find them bright, I don't find them sibilant. I did notice a bit of sibilance, but this was with lower bitrate files.

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #74 of 1,431
Rawrster thanks for your feedback and review on the loaner unit, I am still debating on which final cabling to go for, going with the standard cable (non OFC) would make those bright highs a little less bright, but at the same time the overall quality of the silver cabling does standout and certainly are more durable. The loaner unit is on its way to the next person and we should get more impressions soon :) Again if you are interested in testing out the B2's then express your interest here.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #75 of 1,431
I think I'll be against pairing up the B2 with OFC cable. If done so, B2 would be even more like the DBA 02. Though DBA 02 have issues in availability, I don't think it is necessary for Brainwavz to create a product that similar.

DBA 02 do hold it's own in the Head-fi community and has a rather favorable reputation, but considering that majority of the people that are already interested in them already own a pair or have at least try them enough to know them well enough. If the reviews of the final product concludes that the difference in DBA 02 and B2 are too subtle, I don't really see the target market picking them up for the sake of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back