Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 18, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #16 of 1,431
How are these compared to, say, an ER4? They seem to have a similar sound signature.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #17 of 1,431

Quote:
How are these compared to, say, an ER4? They seem to have a similar sound signature.

Can't speak to the B2 but if they are like the DBA I would say similar but different.  They both have similar strengths but go about it in different ways.  To me the ER4 takes the form of an audio tool used to analyze recordings.  The DBA takes the form of more natural musical engagement in how it implements its technical abilities.    

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #18 of 1,431

Quote:
Actually you included some with filters and some without. What will the final production version come with?

Most likely ones without the filter, not all Comply models are available for OEM. I will try to get them in red as they would match the final color scheme and would work well with how in the presentation of the final packaging.

Quote:
Hey, razzer? Didn't you say you would tell us an expected price when the first impressions started coming out? Or is my mind making up memories due to my obsession with trying to find a good value dual armature?

And joker, thanks for the review!

We have a pricing in mind, but i won't announce just yet, but like all our Brainwavz products i know buyers will be left with a feeling that they have a product that is worth much more than they actually paid :)

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #19 of 1,431

I remember someone stating that the W2 uses the Knowles used in the ER4 but adds another BA for it's lower regions. 
Quote:
Thanks for the impressions Joker, they sound pretty good. Does anyone know, with all this talk of drivers, do the w2 use that popular arrangement?

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #20 of 1,431

Quote:
Most likely ones without the filter, not all Comply models are available for OEM. I will try to get them in red as they would match the final color scheme and would work well with how in the presentation of the final packaging.

We have a pricing in mind, but i won't announce just yet, but like all our Brainwavz products i know buyers will be left with a feeling that they have a product that is worth much more than they actually paid :)

I had a feeling they would be red 
rolleyes.gif

Unless they aren't. In which case, I'll still be looking forward to the pricing.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #21 of 1,431

Quote:
Nice.  If I had my DBA's I would have sent them on over to ya.  Your comments on bass sound right inline w/ the DBA's how I hear them.  Definitely some similarities in the mid forwardness and some aggression to the overall signature.  Which did you find to be more sibilant and harsher in the treble for you, B2 or CK10?  

The CK10 is quite flat to my ears until above 8k which is out of the conventional 'sibilance' range for the most part. Therefore I've never had a sibilance problem with them whereas the B2 can be mildly sibilant when a track hits one of the treble peaks just right.

Quote:
Can't speak to the B2 but if they are like the DBA I would say similar but different.  They both have similar strengths but go about it in different ways.  To me the ER4 takes the form of an audio tool used to analyze recordings.  The DBA takes the form of more natural musical engagement in how it implements its technical abilities.    

Yes, I think this is true of the B2 as well - it can make a monitoring tool but it doesn't necessarily strive to be one.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #23 of 1,431
Raz, are these finished or is possible that they may get a tweak before production based on comments. Sounds like they're plenty good but even things like a different wax screen or cable can be influencial on something this informative. I wonder if the silver plated cable that you use will get smoother sounding over time.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #24 of 1,431
I'm a bit curious but are you planning on using this thread as an impressions thread for this earphone when other reviewers get the chance to hear this earphone from the loaner program? The treble peak of the B2 does worry me based on what you said about them compared to the CK10 however.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #25 of 1,431

Quote:
Hey Joker - are you going to score these and add them to your list of iem ratings?  Even though you don't have the DBA's with you - you did score them a 9.75 in sound quality.

I scored them a 9.5 but I will be  moving to a decimal rating system pretty soon which will give me a little more freedom.

Quote:
I'm a bit curious but are you planning on using this thread as an impressions thread for this earphone when other reviewers get the chance to hear this earphone from the loaner program? The treble peak of the B2 does worry me based on what you said about them compared to the CK10 however.

Yes, I will change the thread title to something a bit more suitable and keep track of the impressions in the OP.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #27 of 1,431
super excited for these... hopefully similar to dba-02.  would be great if they came in red also

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #28 of 1,431
Thanks for the impressions ljokerl, much appreciated. Looking forward to testing these myself.

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #29 of 1,431

Quote:

I'm listening to the Brainwavz B2 now as part of the MP4nation loaner program - they came in yesterday.  The funny thing is that I just thought that these most sound like the ER4P's I briefly owned - with no filters.  Without filters, those ER4P's had a habit of getting harsh in the higher frequencies.  Similarly, when these hit the region of the treble spike - it can be disarming at best.  The extension is good - not as extended as the ER4's though.  Besides that - these have more bass quantity and feel more balanced/well rounded.

I've been playing with accessories to see how they'd sound best.  Controversial as it might be with multiple armatures, it seems to me that I get the best sound using a 75ohm impedance adapter and sony hybrid tips.  It seems like the harshness is reduced at the top - or else my ears have just gotten used to it.  Before I finish auditioning these, I'm going to do some back to back comparisons with and without the impedance adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back