Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 7, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #1,306 of 1,431
  I got Brainwavz B2 today, but immediately I notice very aggressive treble, causing tiredness to my ears. I really feel the trebles peaked in some manner, don't know if my unit is defective or not, but I cannot handle such treble. I have also Hifiman RE-0 and I am very satisfied with them, so dont get me wrong I like detailed and extended trebles, but B2 is too harsh. Does it get better after burn-in or should I return them?

It does get better after burn-in. Also, if you are wearing them over the ear, as many do - don't.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #1,308 of 1,431
Return them if they are not your thing. No amount of "burn in" will change the sound that much.

I have B2, and they aren't sibilant at all when I'm wearing them with the cable down.
They do have a very analytical sound, but the treble has calmed down after burn-in.

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #1,312 of 1,431
Not sure if I am getting deaf, but seems like B2 does really benefit from burn-in. The harsh sibilance and treble is there but not overwhelming like out of the box. It could really be that I am getting deaf to those high frequencies as I "am getting used to them".
Anyways bass are better than expected and amount of detail is big.

BenF: why you do not recommend wearing them over-the-ear?

s0lar: what exactly do you prefer on R50 over B2?

I am deciding whether to keep them or look for another IEMs with different sound signature like:

MOE SS01, RHA MA750, EPH-100
 or more expensive DN-1000.

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #1,314 of 1,431
^That must be doing something with the fit right?
Comply T medium gives good fit and isolation and significantly removes sibilance. Also, I absolutely do not feel the B2 are lacking Bass. I get the amount I need and precision and speed is flawless. This was my biggest concern.
Looks like I am starting to love my B2 :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #1,315 of 1,431
  ^That must be doing something with the fit right?
Comply T medium gives good fit and isolation and significantly removes sibilance. Also, I absolutely do not feel the B2 are lacking Bass. I get the amount I need and precision and speed is flawless. This was my biggest concern.
Looks like I am starting to love my B2 :)

Absolutely. They are designed to be cable down, but for some reason many people are wearing them over ear.
This breaks the seal needed for good bass.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #1,316 of 1,431

Absolutely. They are designed to be cable down, but for some reason many people are wearing them over ear.
This breaks the seal needed for good bass.

That's the first time I see someone actually mentioning he prefers wearing the B2 cable down. The B2 sounds at its best with deep insertion, which attenuates the highs and keeps the sibilance at check while the cable down style doesn't allow it because of the length and angle of the nozzle. You can't break the seal and lose the bass as you get a lot better and deeper seal this way than when wearing it cable down.
When inserted properly it doesn't really look like this 

But rather like this

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #1,317 of 1,431
^Jeez now that's deep. I am not able to get that deep with the Comply.

I am loving my B2, and for £59 B2 is absolute bargain. I used that special Christmas offer from Amazon.co.uk

Now I just wonder how the DN-1000 would sound. B2 would really improve with better impact on bass and bigger soundstage. - but it would cost at least 2 times the cost I payed for B2.

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #1,318 of 1,431
  ^Jeez now that's deep. I am not able to get that deep with the Comply.

I am loving my B2, and for £59 B2 is absolute bargain. I used that special Christmas offer from Amazon.co.uk

Now I just wonder how the DN-1000 would sound. B2 would really improve with better impact on bass and bigger soundstage. - but it would cost at least 2 times the cost I payed for B2.

Yeah, you can't get this deep insertion with any of the supplied tips, especially the comply ones unless you buy small t-100 or better yet comply p. I use the small westone star tips

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #1,319 of 1,431
  Yeah, you can't get this deep insertion with any of the supplied tips, especially the comply ones unless you buy small t-100 or better yet comply p. I use the small westone star tips

This should tip (no pun intended) you that it wasn't the intended use for B2.
When Brainwavz were tuning the B2, they used the tips that ended up included in the package.

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #1,320 of 1,431

This should tip (no pun intended) you that it wasn't the intended use for B2.
When Brainwavz were tuning the B2, they used the tips that ended up included in the package.

Nah, the extreme outward curving angle of the nozzle is something that will work for a cable down fir with probably less than 10% of the people who own a b2, which means for a cable down use a lot of people will have to go with a very shallow insertion and it's pretty much like using a shallow insertion with an ety iem - it's not at its best sound at all. At any rate, the angle is too steep for such a long nozzle and that's why the dba02 mk2 is a lot better in this regard. ANd brainwavz didn't really tune the B2 - it's an OEM design - not their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back