Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,186 of 1,431
I wouldn't be surprised if your problem is an earcanal/fit issue more than phone imbalance. My left is much more narrow than the right. Using different sized tips sometimes helps. Phones like a turbine or ie7/8 get pushed out, perhaps your issue is similar ? Surprised you're having problems with the foams though. You could try the "yellows" used by Shure and Westone. Since the nozzle is the same size. Perhaps part of the problem is a taper pushing it out or the foam obscuring the opening as it expands. I'm probably reaching, but the yellows would give the flexibility of the foam fit while not having a taper. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,188 of 1,431
The sound fading a bit after you push them deep really sounds like a seal issue, as you build up pressure when you push and then it naturally releases it. If you've tried with good tips as you said both silicone and foam, I'm not sure what to recommend, although it shouldn't happen with foamies since they don't need to push out to release pressure.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #1,189 of 1,431
Quote:
The sound fading a bit after you push them deep really sounds like a seal issue, as you build up pressure when you push and then it naturally releases it. If you've tried with good tips as you said both silicone and foam, I'm not sure what to recommend, although it shouldn't happen with foamies since they don't need to push out to release pressure.

Even if it were a fit issue regarding the pressure, I still don't understand why only happens with one of the buds, no matter what tips or ear I am using it.

But thanks for your support and advice, I just open a ticket on mp4 nation and see where this goes.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #1,190 of 1,431
If you got a bad seal on a channel and when you switched sides the problem switched too, then it would be a channel issue, an imbalance. Since the problem sticks with one side, and considering you don't have hearing loss on one ear, then it's likely a seal problem. It's common to have different shaped ears, I get a good seal with the stock B2 tips on my left and a average on my right, with other tips it's the opposite, this happens because different kinds of tips work best with different shapes of ears. Unless it's Hybrids, which are just awesome on both ears.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #1,191 of 1,431
Quote:
If you got a bad seal on a channel and when you switched sides the problem switched too, then it would be a channel issue, an imbalance. Since the problem sticks with one side, and considering you don't have hearing loss on one ear, then it's likely a seal problem. It's common to have different shaped ears, I get a good seal with the stock B2 tips on my left and a average on my right, with other tips it's the opposite, this happens because different kinds of tips work best with different shapes of ears. Unless it's Hybrids, which are just awesome on both ears.

Hybrids are a little bit lose on the nozzle, and the nozzle is kinda long so its stands up a bit after the hybrid tip, I didn't like them at all. The supertips are also a bit lose but they are longer so the nozzle doesnt sticks out.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,192 of 1,431
Quote:

Actually, If you really want to get into it, you can get some tweezers and wiggle the driver out. The surrounding is silicon and it isn't glued to the drive. BY NO MEAN USE THE WIRE TO PULL THE DRIVER OUT! You risk taking off the pads of the driver, which is not repairable. New drivers cost $50 each.

Here's proof you can pull out the driver.

Thanks a ton. This just saved me when I tried to swap to the new earpods cable. And, although my tweezers were too small to get in there, I was able to lightly tug the two cables until it came out. Be advised, however, that there is a coat of light adhesive securing the TWFK to the casing.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #1,193 of 1,431
I really want to like these B2 IEMs, but I'm finding that they have a harshness to them that I would imagine is what people now call sibilance. I am finding it on the B2, but, surprisingly, not on the Etymotic HF5 that I have also started listening to over the last week. 

Specific examples include:
Male vocals in Peter Gabriel, So; Don't Give Up and Mercy Street
Piano in The Monty Alexander Trio, Live At The Montreaux Festival 

I listened to both of these CDs through Wilson Watt Puppies years ago and I'm pretty sure that I would have remembered if there was this kind of harshness in the recording. While the HF5 are definitely revealing of the high-frequency content, they don't have the harshness I'm hearing in with the B2 using the same source chain.

Source is Apple Lossless through Samsung Galaxy S 4G (Wolfson WM8994, DAC direct, 128x O/S, audio gain only) as well as Sabre DAC into  NAD 310. 

As much as I enjoy the easier-to-insert nature of the B2 over the HF5 and the somewhat enhanced bass, as I listen to a lot of Jazz and Fusion, this kind of sonic fault is very frustrating. I didn't see anything specific on resolution in the thread, though I might have missed something in my read of the last 70 pages :wink:

Any suggestions before I give up on them?

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #1,194 of 1,431
Quote:
I really want to like these B2 IEMs, but I'm finding that they have a harshness to them that I would imagine is what people now call sibilance. I am finding it on the B2, but, surprisingly, not on the Etymotic HF5 that I have also started listening to over the last week. 

I listened to both of these CDs through Wilson Watt Puppies years ago and I'm pretty sure that I would have remembered if there was this kind of harshness in the recording. While the HF5 are definitely revealing of the high-frequency content, they don't have the harshness I'm hearing in with the B2 using the same source chain.

Source is Apple Lossless through Samsung Galaxy S 4G (Wolfson WM8994, DAC direct, 128x O/S, audio gain only) as well as Sabre DAC into  NAD 310. 

As much as I enjoy the easier-to-insert nature of the B2 over the HF5 and the somewhat enhanced bass, as I listen to a lot of Jazz and Fusion, this kind of sonic fault is very frustrating. I didn't see anything specific on resolution in the thread, though I might have missed something in my read of the last 70 pages :wink:

Sibilance is the ch and sh sounds that are over exaggerated in the highs and/or vocals.  Best suggestion is to use foam tips (Comply or Shure). Also do try using the Sensaphonics Seal test.  It seems to have fixed a few problems.  A seal by feel just isn't good enough with the B2.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,195 of 1,431
Quote:
It's kinda funny because at first listen I don't remember having the imbalance issue, but if you have have it you will hear it for sure.

Ok, after some tries I've found the problem, the tips.

This is the first in-ear, or headphone for that matter, that I had not fir properly on the first try. The HF5 was dificult to find a comfortable fit, but, hey, I never had problems with fit by itself.

After some work, I've managed to properly seal them and the image moved from the right side (it was tilted by 15o - 20o I think) back to where it should be, and I had to use the red complys that came with it.

I wished to stay away from the comply's (basicaly due to the price of mantaining it), I'll probably try shure's or something, but do you have any other sugestion of good tips for the B2?

Besided that, I'm realy happy with it, I belive it's was what I was looking for to complement the W4

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #1,196 of 1,431
Quote:

Ok, after some tries I've found the problem, the tips.

This is the first in-ear, or headphone for that matter, that I had not fir properly on the first try. The HF5 was dificult to find a comfortable fit, but, hey, I never had problems with fit by itself.

After some work, I've managed to properly seal them and the image moved from the right side (it was tilted by 15o - 20o I think) back to where it should be, and I had to use the red complys that came with it.

I wished to stay away from the comply's (basicaly due to the price of mantaining it), I'll probably try shure's or something, but do you have any other sugestion of good tips for the B2?

Besided that, I'm realy happy with it, I belive it's was what I was looking for to complement the W4

The shure olives (foams) are almost as soft as the comply, they will last longer and looks more discrete. They are also cheaper.

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,197 of 1,431
Quote:

The sibilance is source dependant, so for example, with my zune HD they sound sibilant but not with my SGS2 or my pc (integrated card) you could eq'd too. These are great for the money.

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #1,198 of 1,431
Quote:

Your impressions mirror mine, I found the B2 way too harsh and bright on my Galaxy S no matter how deep I inserted them. And exactly as you say, HF5 were less or no fatiguing.

The thing is that the Galaxy S is not exactly a bright sounding device, my uDAC-2 is more bright.

BTW, I ended up buying a pair of GR01 on ebay and I can recommend those over both HF5 and B2, they sound great on the Galaxy S. They are as clear and transparent as B2 but less bright. A tad more smooth, perhaps. And more clear than the HF5. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back