Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #1,126 of 1,431
Quote:
Hmm.  I think I just shot myself in the foot.  I listened to the HE-6 & HD800 through out the long weekend & then I put the B2s on this morning during my commute.  

Face = 
confused_face.gif

Same tracks I was listening to this weekend except with noticeable sub-bass roll-off.  So I figured, okay, forget Modest Mouse & AC/DC - I'm going with Yo-Yo Ma Solos.  The cello should sound okay here.  Well it turns out the cello goes pretty low too, and timbre was all off.  

I smell a fit issue... 

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #1,127 of 1,431
Could just be my ears, but I would have medical issues if they were any deeper.  Personally, I smell contrast.  It's just that the transition from the HD800 to B2, and HE-6 to B2 was jolting.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,128 of 1,431
Quote:
Could just be my ears, but I would have medical issues if they were any deeper.  Personally, I smell contrast.  It's just that the transition from the HD800 to B2, and HE-6 to B2 was jolting.

Try a different tip.  Your tip might be too small to create any seal then... 

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #1,129 of 1,431
Quote:
Personally, I smell contrast.  It's just that the transition from the HD800 to B2, and HE-6 to B2 was jolting.

Totally agree. The B2's were just too difficult for me to like when switching back-forth.
Once I got a sense of the imaging, fullness and speed of a masterpiece 1k headphone, it was impossible to adjust to the B2's "anemic" replication. Strangely enough, I got more enjoyment out of Ety's HF5's than the B2's. It's analytical enough to tear down bad music, but just a bit warmer, so it isnt boring(tomy ears).

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #1,130 of 1,431
Is that what they refer to as an apples to apples comparison? 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #1,132 of 1,431

Is that what they refer to as an apples to apples comparison? 
rolleyes.gif

No, but does that make it any less relevant?  Both are still extracting information from a $10 CD.  

I was just agreeing on how difficult it was to step down from something so glorious, where another member suggested it was fit related.

Exactly.  As for the fit thing, that's just inexperience.  

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #1,133 of 1,431
Quote:
Totally agree. The B2's were just too difficult for me to like when switching back-forth.
Once I got a sense of the imaging, fullness and speed of a masterpiece 1k headphone, it was impossible to adjust to the B2's "anemic" replication. Strangely enough, I got more enjoyment out of Ety's HF5's than the B2's. It's analytical enough to tear down bad music, but just a bit warmer, so it isnt boring(tomy ears).

Aleki, just curious, what HP are you referring to? 

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,134 of 1,431
Quote:

No, but does that make it any less relevant?  Both are still extracting information from a $10 CD.  

That's a product of the ridiculous relativism that is all the rage in today's middle schools.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #1,135 of 1,431
Quote:

That's a product of the ridiculous relativism that is all the rage in today's middle schools.

Both are held against the same standard.  If you think I haven't tried the B2 off my reference system and observed the same result, you're fooling yourself.  On the other hand, if you have a problem with me comparing HPs with such a large price gap, well...I didn't mean to bunch your panties up.  

You can unravel them now, hopefully without involving me further.

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,136 of 1,431
Quote:

Both are held against the same standard.  If you think I haven't tried the B2 off my reference system and observed the same result, you're fooling yourself.  On the other hand, if you have a problem with me comparing HPs with such a large price gap, well...I didn't mean to bunch your panties up.  

Yeah, right. Because the two headphones play from the same source, it's valid to compare thousand dollar-plus cans to mid range IEMs and draw a conclusion that the IEM sucks. Brilliant. Losers author a hit and run like your bunched panty comment.

Sep 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,137 of 1,431
Quote:

Let's start comparing the headphones that I used on an airplane while on vacation to my B2, I mean its the same right? 

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #1,138 of 1,431

I had the same experience when a/b'ing the DBA-02 against the LCD3. The way full size cans present sound is just a lot different than iems. I think an iem with the sound signature of the LCD3 would sound bloated because of the way the smaller sound stage affects frequency response. It's complicated but I think the comparison is a difficult one that should be left to more knowledgeable folk to explain in depth.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #1,139 of 1,431
Quote:
Yeah, right. Because the two headphones play from the same source, it's valid to compare thousand dollar-plus cans to mid range IEMs and draw a conclusion that the IEM sucks. Brilliant. Losers author a hit and run like your bunched panty comment.

I never said the B2 sucks.  I said the sub-bass roll off was more noticeable than usual after a weekend of listening to my other cans.  Crucify me.  Or worse, make me surgically unbunch your panties.  Look back in this thread, and you'll see me say multiple times that there isn't a better deal at a $100.  But none of that changes the fact that I noticed the roll off hardcore this morning.  

If that was obvious to you because "thousand dollar-plus cans" are categorically better than "mid range IEMs" then you should probably have dismissed it.  

I'm sorry to be the one to school you...but being a "thousand dollar-plus can" means nothing.  Conveniently, we have the Edition 10 around to prove that point.

Likewise, a "mid range IEM" means nothing.  There are over achievers out there just like the B2 to prove that point.

If I plug the B2 into my Zodiac, same difference.

Quote:
Let's start comparing the headphones that I used on an airplane while on vacation to my B2, I mean its the same right? 

Do you normally carry an airplane around to plug your B2s into?  

Then no, not the same.  But if you use your airplane headphone and plug it into your DAP, or DAC/amp, or laptop, or whatever the heck you use, then sure, you can make a comparison w/ how it renders the same source material.

--

I can't understand why this seems to have offended a few of you.  I mean it, I meant no harm.  What is the point of a comparison, if it's not compared to reference quality gear?  FieldingMellish, I'm starting to wonder if you even know what relativism means?  

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #1,140 of 1,431
Quote:
I had the same experience when a/b'ing the DBA-02 against the LCD3. The way full size cans present sound is just a lot different than iems. I think an iem with the sound signature of the LCD3 would sound bloated because of the way the smaller sound stage affects frequency response. It's complicated but I think the comparison is a difficult one that should be left to more knowledgeable folk to explain in depth.

Yup.  

IME, a lot of it has to do with driver speed.  Fast drivers can compensate for a smaller soundstage and warmth nicely, like the SR-001/3. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back