Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 24, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #977 of 1,431
Quote:
I compared the B2 against the JVC HA-40; the 40's were always detailed with a nice bottom end for it's low cost. B2's made the JVC's sound somewhat distant and slightly thinner. In a way, the B2 were more fun than the JVC's; more upfront and engaging.

Wait. It has more bass than the FX40?

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #979 of 1,431
Quote:
Wait. It has more bass than the FX40?

I think he said the B2's were more fun, but the FX40 had more low end. I have them both and there's no doubt that the FX40 has more bass, but the B2 sounds much clearer, has a better soundstage (I'm not very good at visualizing it, so I might be wrong) and has better speed/faster decay. But I still need to spend some real time with both.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #980 of 1,431
Woo hoo, they sent me my replacements today. Very happy with the way this was resolved (ya know .. providing when my package gets here tomorrow, they're actually there. If it happens twice somethin's wrong!)

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #981 of 1,431
Quote:

I think he said the B2's were more fun, but the FX40 had more low end. I have them both and there's no doubt that the FX40 has more bass, but the B2 sounds much clearer, has a better soundstage (I'm not very good at visualizing it, so I might be wrong) and has better speed/faster decay. But I still need to spend some real time with both.

Oh ok. So do you like them without any reservation?

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #982 of 1,431
Quote:
Oh ok. So do you like them without any reservation?

Yes, I haven't found any "but"s with the B2. I think I can safely say they have the best sound of any IEM I have heard so far 
redface.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #984 of 1,431
Quote:

Ok. I ask because I'm considering getting it along with the RE272.

I did the EXACT same thing. RE-272 is on the way, following the recently received B2's. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #987 of 1,431
By the way, the B2's had Shure olives on them. I think the bass pounded out of them very well. I am going to re-check the competition by putting similar on the 40's. Music was some Afro-centric drums and guitars with excellent production values - deep drums and bass punched down deeply and separated. I have been into this kind of stuff lately. Last check I noticed the difference in maracas. B2 pitched them almost too high and almost not realistic, (or the way I would like them to sound.) Contrasted with JVC HA-FXD80, a third competitor, the maracas were warmer, or properly receded and not being too out there in contrast with the music is it supposed to be supporting.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #988 of 1,431
You may want to try tips like Klipsch ovals, Etymotic triflanges or trimmed Complys, the treble needs some attenuation to reach a sweetspot.  Olives don't really tame sensible regions as much. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #989 of 1,431
Quote:
You may want to try tips like Klipsch ovals, Etymotic triflanges or trimmed Complys, the treble needs some attenuation to reach a sweetspot.  Olives don't really tame sensible regions as much. 

Thanks for the tips, Inks. Trimmed complys were on my hit list. The Olives were sitting unused in the package and I just had to crack 'em open. 
wink.gif
 Besides, it was Shane who uses them on his version of B2, so I figured with me being the newb, why not? 
smile.gif

Edited to add: Just searched and I have Klipsch oval on hand from my long unused S4i's. I think the S4i's weren't ever that good, but the tips are popular it seems.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #990 of 1,431
Use the biflange Klipsch ovals, unfortunately the S4is only come with the small biflanges, so it may be too small to create a seal. If you can manage a seal though (I test seals with low frequency tones), it should be great. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back