Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Jun 7, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #1,261 of 1,463
Yeah, there are certainly BA sets with deeper bass (which generally tend to be about double this price). Like you said, these clearly weren't tuned towards being bass cannons.

It was just my lazy way of explaining it. If you want deep bass at this price most likely you're looking at a hybrid with a DD for the bass.

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #1,262 of 1,463
It's kind of strange, some people think these are pretty delicate, but I think the 3d printing makes them very solid and unlikely to break or fail. Somebody in the kz thread mentioned that the zs10 was a lot more solid than the b400 and it boggled my mind. These seem like a very solid pair and I don't mind treating them much more roughly than most of my other pairs. I can't think of a pair I'm more confident in the build quality...

QUOTE]

I have an early pair I bought last year, one of which had what I thought was a scratch on the inside. No sound anomalies, all was good. I usually bring 2 pairs of universals with me on the road and decided to bring the b400's this trip. Opened the case and it looks like the scratch was actually a crack, and it grew. Its weird cause the crack is from the inside out, the outside is still smooth. A friend of mine has a newer pair which after examination has better finish than mine, so I'm wondering about whether the earlier ones may be a little more fragile. The other side looks fine. I just contacted customer support earlier today so lets see how that goes. This weekend it looks like its W40's subbing in.
b400-right.jpg

Jun 10, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,263 of 1,463
I love my B400s, but I'm looking for something with a roughly similar sound signature, but more resolution and clarity. The Campfire Audio Andromedas are exactly the sound I'm looking for, but I was hoping for something less expensive.

Any recommendations?

Jun 11, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #1,264 of 1,463
Earsonics ES3 (triple BA)

Not exactly same sound sig - but still sounds phenomenal. Enough sub-bass warmth to stop them being to cold and lean, and some definite detail without going overboard. ES3 just misses some of the lower mid range and mid-bass body, and doesn't have the bottom end thump (BA vs DD) of the Andro.

andro vs es3.png

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #1,266 of 1,463
Thanks, Brooko! I will look into them. At $600, they will be competing, at least wallet-wise, with some headphones I want to buy.

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #1,268 of 1,463
Thanks Chris - don’t know why I help getting that wrong. I think it’s the 5 drivers (I always seem to mix up the 2H,1M, 2L with a 2x2 + 1 hybrid). Getting confused with the likes of the Sirius (among others).

Been in this game too long

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #1,270 of 1,463
I had opportunities to listen to se846 and w80. Now I really how good B400 is. Or in another words, how bad those so called high end items are!!!
I really cannot imagine how can someone spend around a thousand bucks on such mediocre stupid multidrivers products!!!

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,272 of 1,463
I had opportunities to listen to se846 and w80. Now I really how good B400 is. Or in another words, how bad those so called high end items are!!!
I really cannot imagine how can someone spend around a thousand bucks on such mediocre stupid multidrivers products!!!

Guess my mileage varies, so to speak, because I think the 846 stomps the B400. Still love them both, but let's keep the hype realistic.

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #1,274 of 1,463
It's sound signature might be your taste. Technically I don't think its superior. If it is, only very marginal.

Strangely, it's not. I am gravitating towards a brighter sig these days and find the DK-3001's tuning much more to my taste. The technical prowess is mostly why I still listen to the 846. Not trying to derail the convo here, just wanted to chime in as someone who uses both frequently. The B400s are awesome and an esay choice at two hundred bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back