Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
May 13, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #1,246 of 1,463
Hey, people, I'm currently eyeing this babies to be my first quality IEMs, so I have a couple of questions.
feeling like that these days :wink:
725b17b926ebb142bf3ce46292ae2987.gif
Does anybody have in-the-wild photos of cosmic black painted version (google won't show!), without staged light and all? Really like it, but unsure if it actually looks good. Is the lacquer durable?
Should I even buy them now? I heard some talks about another brainwavs iem coming soon (b2 was it?), which will be even more audiophile.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #1,248 of 1,463
May 16, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #1,249 of 1,463
hey HFers

new to the forum here and could use a bit of help. looking to replace my Westone UM Pro 30 earphones and am liking everything i've read so far about the B400. sound signature looks very much like what i'm looking for!

two questions i have though: i'm new to the Brainwavz brand and wanted to ask about quality and durability from those of you who are seasoned users of their products - are their IEMs durable and lasting? i ask because both my Westones (and GR07 before) both had one side driver die within 1.5-2 years with infrequent/moderate use. in particular, Westone responded, when i contacted them, by saying their product lifespan is ~2 years and they can't repair it. for such an expensive pair of IEMs, i was pretty disappointed and am looking to avoid a similar situation. not looking to drop a couple hundred $ every couple of years to get new IEMs. what is after-sales service like too?

also, anyone with experience using clear/frosted IEMs, do these yellow out over time after repeated use? I imagine there is some risk of this happening, but wanted to ask if anyone has experience with this!

thanks in advance!

May 17, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #1,250 of 1,463
It's kind of strange, some people think these are pretty delicate, but I think the 3d printing makes them very solid and unlikely to break or fail. Somebody in the kz thread mentioned that the zs10 was a lot more solid than the b400 and it boggled my mind. These seem like a very solid pair and I don't mind treating them much more roughly than most of my other pairs. I can't think of a pair I'm more confident in the build quality...

As for yellowing, I've only had mine a few months but haven't noticed any changes at all.

As for backing their products, they seem to take it pretty seriously and respond in this thread.... I can't imagine them giving you the type of response westone did... That's very disappointing.

May 17, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #1,251 of 1,463
hey HFers

new to the forum here and could use a bit of help. looking to replace my Westone UM Pro 30 earphones and am liking everything i've read so far about the B400. sound signature looks very much like what i'm looking for!

two questions i have though: i'm new to the Brainwavz brand and wanted to ask about quality and durability from those of you who are seasoned users of their products - are their IEMs durable and lasting? i ask because both my Westones (and GR07 before) both had one side driver die within 1.5-2 years with infrequent/moderate use. in particular, Westone responded, when i contacted them, by saying their product lifespan is ~2 years and they can't repair it. for such an expensive pair of IEMs, i was pretty disappointed and am looking to avoid a similar situation. not looking to drop a couple hundred $ every couple of years to get new IEMs. what is after-sales service like too?

also, anyone with experience using clear/frosted IEMs, do these yellow out over time after repeated use? I imagine there is some risk of this happening, but wanted to ask if anyone has experience with this!

thanks in advance!
Not a single frosty shell turned yellow till today and about the aftersale you got a guarantee of 24months

May 17, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #1,252 of 1,463
It's kind of strange, some people think these are pretty delicate, but I think the 3d printing makes them very solid and unlikely to break or fail. Somebody in the kz thread mentioned that the zs10 was a lot more solid than the b400 and it boggled my mind. These seem like a very solid pair and I don't mind treating them much more roughly than most of my other pairs. I can't think of a pair I'm more confident in the build quality...

As for yellowing, I've only had mine a few months but haven't noticed any changes at all.

As for backing their products, they seem to take it pretty seriously and respond in this thread.... I can't imagine them giving you the type of response westone did... That's very disappointing.

i see. great to hear that the build quality feels solid and durable. i tend to be extra careful with my IEMs anyway, but having solid construction is definitely a plus. both my previous IEMs had no physical damage at all. i'm more concerned with the drivers dying than the product falling apart, to be honest. seems like i got really unlucky with both my GR07s and the Westones; both had one side go soft around or shortly after the warranty expired, so i'm really hoping to avoid this again. a 24-month guarantee is definitely great, but given my bad luck with my previous two pairs, i'm hoping my new pair lasts longer than that. i'm sure monitors dying aren't exactly cheap to repair or replace after the warranty is up too. how do Brainwavz older products measure up in this regard?

as for yellowing, i was thinking more about in a couple of years time. i get that this is a fairly new product, and meant that question with IEMs in general (though maybe not entirely fair, given that it could vary by manufacturer)

to be fair to Westone, they said they couldn't repair it and offered me a discount on a new pair, but finding out the lifespan of a product is ~2 years is pretty disappointing if i'm going to spend that kind of money. suffice to say, i don't feel particularly inclined to drop another $3-400 there!

May 30, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #1,255 of 1,463
Finally settled my own internal debate the only tips that really work for my ears to get a fit that seals and feels right are the comply foams. I’ve tried tried about 15 different tips from triple flange through to rha tips but have now given up and gone back to comply for these, the triples felt like they were trying to crawl into my head!

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #1,257 of 1,463
I tried the B400 at The Headphone Bar in Vancouver recently and came away quite impressed outside of the just barely too-little-for-me bass.. but it was my first time with real IEMs (outside of the Comets which I found to be uncomfortable) so I'm not sure if that comes with the territory when it comes to IEMs VS Over/On ear Headphones.

Is the B400 the best IEM option for my needs under $359 USD, or is there something better? (I'm looking at the Oriveti New Primacy right now but I could be missing some other options.)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #1,258 of 1,463
I tried the B400 at The Headphone Bar in Vancouver recently and came away quite impressed outside of the just barely too-little-for-me bass.. but it was my first time with real IEMs (outside of the Comets which I found to be uncomfortable) so I'm not sure if that comes with the territory when it comes to IEMs VS Over/On ear Headphones.

Is the B400 the best IEM option for my needs under $359 USD, or is there something better? (I'm looking at the Oriveti New Primacy right now but I could be missing some other options.)

The B400 is not the best iem under 359 usd, but it should also be about half the price. I have both the new Primacy and the B400 and 100 % prefer the New Primacy, but it's also a bit more expensive.

The B400 is smooth, very coherent with mids and details that are at least accurate for the price, but as you write it is a bit bass shy. The Primacy is more lively with much more low end and generally more energy. Both are very good for what they do and to use a cliche :), they both bounce way above their price point.

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #1,259 of 1,463
No, these are bass shy for sure due to the all BA setup . If anything I find some of my IEMs have the most powerful bass of any of my headphones (tfz in general come to mind).

Other good options in your range would be the ibasso it03, the flc8__ series, and the lz a5. If you really want around this price, the tfz king pro is a good alternative with more bass prowess but for $350 you can do better than this $200 pair. For 50-100 more you start getting into hybrids that have Dynamic Drivers to add better bass extension yet have the benefits of the BA drivers.

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #1,260 of 1,463
No, these are bass shy for sure due to the all BA setup . If anything I find some of my IEMs have the most powerful bass of any of my headphones (tfz in general come to mind).

Other good options in your range would be the ibasso it03, the flc8__ series, and the lz a5. If you really want around this price, the tfz king pro is a good alternative with more bass prowess but for $350 you can do better than this $200 pair. For 50-100 more you start getting into hybrids that have Dynamic Drivers to add better bass extension yet have the benefits of the BA drivers.

I wouldn't say that they're bass shy due to the all BA setup but rather because of the way they're tuned.

I've got all BA IEM's with significantly more (sub)bass presence than the B400.

If one don't mind the roll off in both ends the B400 is a really great option at its price point. Depending on one's preferences there's definitely other great alternatives at the same price point as well in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back