Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Mar 2, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,051 of 1,463
Spotify is so (/too) convenient. On the other hand I have been testing Qobuz and Tidal several times and I must admit I can't hear a difference. Regarding BA-drivers, I'm thinking like you and I won't be buying any new one soon. To my ears there's always something off (Noble X, Primo 8, Rose Mini 2). I prefer iems with dynamic drivers. Maybe if you start spending 1000$ the situation changes but that's an amount I'm not willing to spend (yet).

Exactly. BAs are not an effective design. More drivers used, more narrow frequency region to be used for one driver. Too uneconomical!

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #1,052 of 1,463
It can be said the other way around: BAs are so tiny that several can be put inside an IEM, overcoming the one driver freq. limitation of any driver, including DDs. Anyway B400 is a wonderful IEM and a pleasure to lisen to, with a very competitive price.

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #1,053 of 1,463
Exactly. BAs are not an effective design. More drivers used, more narrow frequency region to be used for one driver. Too uneconomical!

Afraid I can't agree with this. The best IEMs I've heard have been BA based, or hybrids with BAs' for the mid-range / lower treble.

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #1,054 of 1,463
I didn't listen to Spotify. I have several hundreds G lossless files. based on my experience, I think the record quality might be the most relevant. For what I listen to - lossless files from Xduoo X3, some sound excellent and some do have certain unnatural sounding. I think the most direct reason is the quality of music files and second is the weakness of BA type drivers. I'll never buy BA type IEMs again. I cannot see its advantage over dynamic drivers.

Its all a matter of perspective and preference. If so, i'd say recoup your losses and sell the B400 if you dislike it that much. Or you could choose to hold onto it and give it time, learn to appreciate it over time. Not everyone will like wine, i certainly don't, and not everyone will like whisky, i love whisky. But thats not to say i can't appreciate wine for what it is, maybe a few decades down the road i might.

Also, most ToTL iems are hybrids more often than not lol. If so i guess you are limiting yourself a lot.

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #1,055 of 1,463
Its all a matter of perspective and preference. If so, i'd say recoup your losses and sell the B400 if you dislike it that much. Or you could choose to hold onto it and give it time, learn to appreciate it over time. Not everyone will like wine, i certainly don't, and not everyone will like whisky, i love whisky. But thats not to say i can't appreciate wine for what it is, maybe a few decades down the road i might.

Also, most ToTL iems are hybrids more often than not lol. If so i guess you are limiting yourself a lot.

I know. The reason I bought the B400 is to try multi BA IEMs. I also tried several chi-fi hybrid, like LZ A2, Uiisii and 4in1, they are worse than pure BAs to my taste. I'll keep B400, but I'll never buy BAs or hybrids any more. :)

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #1,057 of 1,463
It can be said the other way around: BAs are so tiny that several can be put inside an IEM, overcoming the one driver freq. limitation of any driver, including DDs. Anyway B400 is a wonderful IEM and a pleasure to lisen to, with a very competitive price.

I agree. I never regret buying B400. I'll not invest more BAs. But I'm happy to have a multi BA IEM which is B400.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #1,058 of 1,463
@yangian

There are also some multi-BA in-ears with a big, bold bass as well as rather dynamic-driver-like, soft and more textured character. But then again there are also some, although rather few, people who just don't get along with the BA bass at all - this was already the case before the hybrid IEM boom started around 2011/12-ish, and still is the case today. But the difference is that today's market offers way more models, for better or worse, and there are plenty of great hybrid and single dynamic driver in-ears. It's just that some people prefer the dynamic driver bass, and that some prefer BA woofers (sure, there are of course different IEMs, some with DDs that have a more BA-like character, and some with BAs that appear more DD-like, but as a rule of thumb the subjective perception of these two types of drivers usually differs). There's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #1,059 of 1,463
I have read in the past about how some type of harmonic distortion is endemic to typical BA driver design, but not sure how audible it is- at least for me 90% of the time any issues I have with an IEM are tuning or fit related. (and it's not as though other driver tech is perfected).

I think the truism that BA are only good for midrange or require many drivers to overcome a very narrow response range must be rather out of date at this point? Some of my favorite IEMs have been only dual-BA... not to mention single BA Etymotic ER4 which has been around for ages & has both well extended bass & treble.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,060 of 1,463
I have read in the past about how some type of harmonic distortion is endemic to typical BA driver design, but not sure how audible it is- at least for me 90% of the time any issues I have with an IEM are tuning or fit related. (and it's not as though other driver tech is perfected).

I think the truism that BA are only good for midrange or require many drivers to overcome a very narrow response range must be rather out of date at this point? Some of my favorite IEMs have been only dual-BA... not to mention single BA Etymotic ER4 which has been around for ages & has both well extended bass & treble.

ER4 might be special. But some people love it so much and also some hate it. Never hear it. At least, it has no bass quantity.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #1,061 of 1,463
@yangian

There are also some multi-BA in-ears with a big, bold bass as well as rather dynamic-driver-like, soft and more textured character. But then again there are also some, although rather few, people who just don't get along with the BA bass at all - this was already the case before the hybrid IEM boom started around 2011/12-ish, and still is the case today. But the difference is that today's market offers way more models, for better or worse, and there are plenty of great hybrid and single dynamic driver in-ears. It's just that some people prefer the dynamic driver bass, and that some prefer BA woofers (sure, there are of course different IEMs, some with DDs that have a more BA-like character, and some with BAs that appear more DD-like, but as a rule of thumb the subjective perception of these two types of drivers usually differs). There's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

Yes, I have little experience of BAs. Anyway, it's not an economical design of multi BAs. No any cost-effectiveness.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #1,062 of 1,463
The best bass i have ever heard in a iem is from the Rhapsodio Solar, a 10 BA iem. It's not cheap though, but not that expensive for todays standards!! The bass is pure quality and even with not bass heavy tracks the Solar will deliver both bass quality and quantity. I often regret selling that iem. I just wished the Beyer Xelento had the same quality/quantity....and the Solar had the shell size and ergonomic of the Xelento :)

The B400 is a completely different iem. It's more neutral, more balanced with excellent detail. And a very good deal for the price paid. The B400 doesn't excel in bass. I wouldn't call it bass light, more bass neutral.

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #1,063 of 1,463
Anyone able to compare the sound of B400 and Oriveti New Primacy? I'm looking for a set similar to the B400 but perhaps with a little more sparkle and extension up top? Reading some reviews of the ONP they do sound quite similar in description to the B400.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #1,064 of 1,463
Anyone able to compare the sound of B400 and Oriveti New Primacy? I'm looking for a set similar to the B400 but perhaps with a little more sparkle and extension up top? Reading some reviews of the ONP they do sound quite similar in description to the B400.

The NP will give you a more pronounced sub-bass while the lower mids and fundamental range are a bit less warm/full compared to the B400. The NP's treble however definitely looks like what you're looking for.

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #1,065 of 1,463
Phonak pfe single BA driver is still one of my favorite iems. They disappear in my ears better than anything else I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back