Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Mar 10, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,081 of 1,463
Not sure if the two are the same, however @three0s issue is somewhat a general issue people find with MMCX connectors, due to tolerance levels you can find some cables are looser, but even with another piece of the same model cable you could get a tight fit. I would recommend try the different cables provide and even swapping left and right to see if there are differences, usually over time MMCX connectors wear in and these issues sort themselves out.
I think it's combination of the cable(frosty silver cable) and the connector.
Swapping left/right channel - the right side is still wonky, right connector is definitely a bit loose
Switching to the stock cable - the issue is gone
I guess for now I have to abandon the frosty silver cable:slight_frown:

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #1,082 of 1,463
My frosty cable is also loose enough on the right side to make the sound cut out. Both the stock cable are nice a secure though.
The issue I have is that the stock pre shaped ear hooks just don't fit my ears well.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,083 of 1,463
My Candy Cane balanced cable was also loose enough for the sound to cut out with movement, and likewise, the stock cable didn't have that issue. I'm in the process of getting mine replaced.

Mar 11, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,085 of 1,463
So are these cable issues all due to the cable themselves or are some related to the ear pieces?

If they're the cable, I'll just use my other mmcx cables and avoid getting the upgraded cables with this....

Mar 11, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #1,086 of 1,463
So are these cable issues all due to the cable themselves or are some related to the ear pieces?

If they're the cable, I'll just use my other mmcx cables and avoid getting the upgraded cables with this....
I believe the issue is with the upgrade cable itself. Each case I've read about has said it was the Brainwavz upgrade cable. I have several different upgrade cables that I tried and now use, all without issue. None of my upgrade cables are the Brainwavz ones.

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #1,087 of 1,463
If you are in the US and want a quality balanced cable, go with this one. http://a.co/98WLTnF

Only downside is that its so secure I can't seem to remove it from the B400 haha

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #1,089 of 1,463
Alright, these randomly came into stock on Amazon so I have them coming in two days. What is the thought on burn in with these? Given that they're fully ba, a couple of hours should do it, or do some of you not believe in that for BA drivers and think they still require 100+ hours?

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #1,090 of 1,463
Recently, I started to listen to some pop singing. B400 is very enjoyable. However, for orchestral classical, it's almost unlistenable, not enjoyable at all.
Interesting. I rather like how they sound with classical music. Wonder if we listen to rather different styles, ie chamber music vs symphony orchestra vs operatic to have as much difference in experiences. Of course every ear is different too. I personally don't do vocal often and don't think I've listened to anything with the B400. But big, bombastic to rather small original instrument type recordings, a number of each.

Just saw this
Alright, these randomly came into stock on Amazon so I have them coming in two days. What is the thought on burn in with these? Given that they're fully ba, a couple of hours should do it, or do some of you not believe in that for BA drivers and think they still require 100+ hours?

I think if you look through the thread you'll find a comment from Brainwavz that they play them for 24 hours. As a way to make sure there aren't assembly issues and the like for quality control. So they already have a days worth of time in before you get them. I seem to remember in that same post something along the lines of shouldn't be needed but 10-20 hours but my recollection of that part is worse and can easily be about another IEM. I do remember reading the post after I'd already started listening to my pair so really didn't pay much attention to it.

I personally stuck them on a cheap Benjie $25 player repeating a pink noise wave for a day then a day on shuffle using whatever music I had on the player at the time, nothing special or specifically for burn-in. Figure it'd only be 2 days and couldn't hurt. And I always wear the IEM and select what I'd describe as a loud but not very loud listening level.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #1,091 of 1,463
Recently, I started to listen to some pop singing. B400 is very enjoyable. However, for orchestral classical, it's almost unlistenable, not enjoyable at all.

I really like them with virtually any music - including symphonic. Unlistenable?

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #1,092 of 1,463
I really like them with virtually any music - including symphonic. Unlistenable?

Maybe I have accustomed of dynamic sound. I cannot appreciate its sound for large work classical: unnatural, stiff, occasionally sounds wired. I think there are good reasons that Sennheiser, Hifiman never make BAs products.

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #1,093 of 1,463
Interesting. I rather like how they sound with classical music. Wonder if we listen to rather different styles, ie chamber music vs symphony orchestra vs operatic to have as much difference in experiences. Of course every ear is different too. I personally don't do vocal often and don't think I've listened to anything with the B400. But big, bombastic to rather small original instrument type recordings, a number of each.

Just saw this

I think if you look through the thread you'll find a comment from Brainwavz that they play them for 24 hours. As a way to make sure there aren't assembly issues and the like for quality control. So they already have a days worth of time in before you get them. I seem to remember in that same post something along the lines of shouldn't be needed but 10-20 hours but my recollection of that part is worse and can easily be about another IEM. I do remember reading the post after I'd already started listening to my pair so really didn't pay much attention to it.

I personally stuck them on a cheap Benjie $25 player repeating a pink noise wave for a day then a day on shuffle using whatever music I had on the player at the time, nothing special or specifically for burn-in. Figure it'd only be 2 days and couldn't hurt. And I always wear the IEM and select what I'd describe as a loud but not very loud listening level.

I never burn phones, just listen. I listen to large work orchestra/symphony. Small work is fine. Excellent for pop singing.

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,094 of 1,463
My last new pairs have all been DD or hybrid, so I definitely believe in burn in for dynamic, I guess I'll just play around with these and form my own impressions, first straight ba in a long time.

But based on how BAs work, my guess is that any burn in is all mental. In reality they should be ok after a very short time like brainwavz tests for. Which is good, because I'll be burning in my tfz tequila at the end of this week too. I really have to start limiting myself....

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #1,095 of 1,463
Maybe I have accustomed of dynamic sound. I cannot appreciate its sound for large work classical: unnatural, stiff, occasionally sounds wired. I think there are good reasons that Sennheiser, Hifiman never make BAs products.
My current points of reference include the HD800S, and for multi BA, the 64Audio U10 and LZ Big Dipper.

IMHO BA only can definitely deliver orchestral and symphonic well. I thinks it’s just your preference (as it is mine). But saying these are no good for orchestral pieces is not accurate, unless you add the words “for my personal preference”

How many really good BA based IEMs have you heard to base your opinions on regarding BAs vs hybrid or DD? Even the single driver BA Campfire Orion is remarkably good (IMHO of course) with Classical music.

The B400 is not expansive - few IEMs are. And that includes DD. If you prefer a touch of brightness, these probably won’t suit you. For those who like a mellower sound and enjoy Classical music though - nice combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back