Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Feb 13, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #976 of 1,463
ZbvI1ot

ZbvI1ot

I just purchased mine from amazon with 60 usd refund from my previous sony to fiio wire purchase. Initially plan to use the refund for dekoni earpads for my m50x, but the 60 usd is not much different from buying fiio f9 or f9 pro (knowles hybrid). Ended up buying B400 because I always wanted a quad BAs to accompany my sony xba h3 hybrid.

ZbvI1ot

http://imgur.com/ZbvI1ot

Ok, got mine yesterday. Changed eartips to my remaining spinfit. Cable to fiio mmcx b 6N OCC Silver plated cable. Sound excellent.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #977 of 1,463
Feb 16, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #978 of 1,463
Coupla things I'm curious about, though:
Why would these BAs need shell porting, BAs can be sealed, right?
Oh and...whatever happened to B300?

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #979 of 1,463
Coupla things I'm curious about, though:
Why would these BAs need shell porting, BAs can be sealed, right?
Oh and...whatever happened to B300?

That should only be on the colored models. If I recall correctly from earlier in the thread, it was apparently necessary as part of the painting process. Compared to the unpainted model, I found it doesn't really affect isolation and prevents pressure buildup.

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #980 of 1,463
That should only be on the colored models. If I recall correctly from earlier in the thread, it was apparently necessary as part of the painting process. Compared to the unpainted model, I found it doesn't really affect isolation and prevents pressure buildup.
I see. Kinda weird that my frosties have vents too.

Oh and IIRC, on other forums I read that some...young at hearts... apply paint on the inside of their RC car bodykits. Perhaps Brainwavz have considered this approach as well, I reckon. If not, maybe they could paint these in a similar way.

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #981 of 1,463
I see. Kinda weird that my frosties have vents too.

Oh and IIRC, on other forums I read that some...young at hearts... apply paint on the inside of their RC car bodykits. Perhaps Brainwavz have considered this approach as well, I reckon. If not, maybe they could paint these in a similar way.

Oh? I wonder if they changed them up again? Imo a plus if they did.

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #982 of 1,463
Oh? I wonder if they changed them up again? Imo a plus if they did.
Yeah, it could be a 'workaround' worth considering, before the driver assembly. :thumbsup: Wouldn't hurt to try.

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #983 of 1,463
Hello,
I have followed the thread for some time. What I have not read yet is whether b400s work with classical music (orchestra) too. Anybody able to comment on Instrument separation and treble performance for that genre? Soundstage not that 3d-like, correct?

Cheers

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #985 of 1,463
Hello,
I have followed the thread for some time. What I have not read yet is whether b400s work with classical music (orchestra) too. Anybody able to comment on Instrument separation and treble performance for that genre? Soundstage not that 3d-like, correct?

Cheers

Read a selection of reviews - and go with someone you trust. For the price, while the sound stage is not overly expansive (and lets remember its a BA based IEM), it is very nicely presented. I consider it a very good all-rounder.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/br...armature-earphones.22688/reviews#review-19335

Treble extension is actually pretty good - its just not spot-lit. So it depends on your preference. There is nothing wrong with the B400's technical ability.

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #986 of 1,463
Porting is needed to relieve pressure build up inside ear canal. Try taping it and insert to see how painful it can be for your ear drums. Also venting increases bass output.

Not generally required for an all BA IEM though - porting usually only found in DD or hybrid set-ups.

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #987 of 1,463
Hello,

Cheers

Separation is very good. soundstage is not that wide, but shape is great - I mean with proportional three directions. So 3D effect is pretty good. Overall, for BA drivers, you cannot get the powerful and exciting sound of like IE80/800. It's better for small work classical than large work symphony/orchestra. On the other hand, it's much much better than B100 for large work classical music.

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #989 of 1,463
Not generally required for an all BA IEM though - porting usually only found in DD or hybrid set-ups.

Brooko, is it possible for you to tape the vent and re-measure the B400? Subjectively I find it sounds better with vent taped up. I feel it tames the midbass hump to bring out more lower mids detail.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #990 of 1,463
Brooko, is it possible for you to tape the vent and re-measure the B400? Subjectively I find it sounds better with vent taped up. I feel it tames the midbass hump to bring out more lower mids detail.

Unfortunately no. If you check my review out, you'll see that mine was one of the earliest versions. It doesn't have a port. So you could assume my current graph is for the non-ported version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back