Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #991 of 1,463
Oh? I wonder if they changed them up again? Imo a plus if they did.
I can't speak about the first or second batch, but my third batch frosties have the vents as well. I feel it helps in keeping pressure build up to a minimum. It's the best all BA set that I own for that at least.

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #993 of 1,463
Hello,
I have followed the thread for some time. What I have not read yet is whether b400s work with classical music (orchestra) too. Anybody able to comment on Instrument separation and treble performance for that genre? Soundstage not that 3d-like, correct?

Cheers

Well, I'm listening now on my B400 feeded by the Fiio X5 II to Monteverdi's Vespro Della Beata Vergine by Gardiner (1989 live in the Basilica of San Marco in Venice), a torture test for clarity, dynamics and soundstage. This recording shows the B400 limits, specially the lack of treble energy. The sound is veiled, the soundstage is small and the overall result is a bit lifeless. If big orchestral and chorus music is your mileage, I would look for IEMs more treble oriented

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #994 of 1,463
Well, I'm listening now on my B400 feeded by the Fiio X5 II to Monteverdi's Vespro Della Beata Vergine by Gardiner (1989 live in the Basilica of San Marco in Venice), a torture test for clarity, dynamics and soundstage. This recording shows the B400 limits, specially the lack of treble energy. The sound is veiled, the soundstage is small and the overall result is a bit lifeless. If big orchestral and chorus music is your mileage, I would look for IEMs more treble oriented

For a multi BAs I don't think B400 is weak. I don't think a multi BA iem can be better than B400 at its price range. Even B100 can give more treble than B400. I dont think anyone would say B100 is better than B400. More treble is not equal to more clarity.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #995 of 1,463
For a multi BAs I don't think B400 is weak. I don't think a multi BA iem can be better than B400 at its price range. Even B100 can give more treble than B400. I dont think anyone would say B100 is better than B400. More treble is not equal to more clarity.

Whatever the reason, I find something missing in the treble region when listening to classical music involving big ensembles. Lack of air, space and a bit somber, veiled sound is what I hear. I don’t say these are bad IEMs, not at all, simply that they are better tuned for other types of music.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #996 of 1,463
Whatever the reason, I find something missing in the treble region when listening to classical music involving big ensembles. Lack of air, space and a bit somber, veiled sound is what I hear. I don’t say these are bad IEMs, not at all, simply that they are better tuned for other types of music.

Yeah, I agree it's not good for large work classical. I really wonder which pure BAs IEM is excellent for large work classical under $200, or even under $500. I really wonder which IEMs is better than IE80/800 for large work orchestra/symphony.
BTW, at least B400 has a very good soundstage shape.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #997 of 1,463
Anyone encountered a slight sibilance on these yet?
While they're not loud or painful, it definitely detracts from the whole experience, a minor annoyance.
Instead of sudden, awesome surprise cymbal hits catching my attention (B3P1), now its very noticeable 's' pronunciations that do it.

Time to RMA?

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #998 of 1,463
Porting is needed to relieve pressure build up inside ear canal. Try taping it and insert to see how painful it can be for your ear drums. Also venting increases bass output.
I dunno, man. I had hogged a pair of SE846 in a store for hours before, no pain.
Didn't want to remove them and leave, even. Kinda wondering how that was achieved.

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #999 of 1,463
Anyone encountered a slight sibilance on these yet?
While they're not loud or painful, it definitely detracts from the whole experience, a minor annoyance.
Instead of sudden, awesome surprise cymbal hits catching my attention (B3P1), now its very noticeable 's' pronunciations that do it.

Time to RMA?

Yes, indeed this is also a problem with my pair. I listen mostly to a lot of orchestral classical music. When flutes and piccolos in particular play high pitched notes they hurt my ears. It seems as if there's no control on this frequency range (somewhere from 2k to 4k Hz) and this results in a very annoying "ringing" sound. It's a real pity because I like the rest of the frequency range.

I fear this is a problem inherent to balanced armatures, at least to the iems I have/had in possession (to name just a few Rose Mini2, Noble X, ...). Dynamic speakers in general do not have this problem. Balanced armature can dazzle with technicalities but a dynamic driver remains, while less spectacular, more liquid and natural to my ears.

I'm also considering returning these unfortunately....

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,000 of 1,463
Yes, indeed this is also a problem with my pair. I listen mostly to a lot of orchestral classical music. When flutes and piccolos in particular play high pitched notes they hurt my ears. It seems as if there's no control on this frequency range (somewhere from 2k to 4k Hz) and this results in a very annoying "ringing" sound. It's a real pity because I like the rest of the frequency range.

I fear this is a problem inherent to balanced armatures, at least to the iems I have/had in possession (to name just a few Rose Mini2, Noble X, ...). Dynamic speakers in general do not have this problem. Balanced armature can dazzle with technicalities but a dynamic driver remains, while less spectacular, more liquid and natural to my ears.

I'm also considering returning these unfortunately....

I believe you are right. BAs driver has different sound signature with dynamic. It cause much more distortion than dynamic due to its very narrow frequency response. BA type are good for vocal, which is the genre most people listen to. For classical/orchestra, dynamic (planar?) will be the first choice.

Feb 19, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,001 of 1,463
Yeah, I agree it's not good for large work classical. I really wonder which pure BAs IEM is excellent for large work classical under $200, or even under $500. I really wonder which IEMs is better than IE80/800 for large work orchestra/symphony.
BTW, at least B400 has a very good soundstage shape.

Compared to Mee Audio's P1 on the same record I mentioned before, B400 show better soundstage depth and a flatter, more natural bass and vocal rendition. The only thing missing is more lively treble, where P1 wins. Both IEMs give a so-so performance but as I said before, this recording is very tough to reproduce.

Feb 19, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #1,002 of 1,463
Compared to Mee Audio's P1 on the same record I mentioned before, B400 show better soundstage depth and a flatter, more natural bass and vocal rendition. The only thing missing is more lively treble, where P1 wins. Both IEMs give a so-so performance but as I said before, this recording is very tough to reproduce.

Ok. As I expected. I agree B400's treble is too polite. Well, nothing is perfect. Anyway, it's a cost-effective multi-BAs earphone.

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #1,003 of 1,463
Ok. As I expected. I agree B400's treble is too polite. Well, nothing is perfect. Anyway, it's a cost-effective multi-BAs earphone.

Due to my poor english, I'm afraid that I could be misulderstood. I'm not saying that B400 are bad IEMs; in fact I find them a very good IEM, the best I've ever had, and better to my taste than P1. But nothing is perfect and letting others know what we think about them, positive and negative, could be helpful for prospective owners.

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,004 of 1,463
If you are a believer in cables then grab an aftermarket cable. I use a $30 one on these and love it. I used the stock balanced BW cable on my Lyra II for a week while my Triton8 was getting repaired. While using the BW cable I noticed a bit of sibilance on S's. Upon getting my Triton8 back, I found the S's were smoothed back to normal and the Sound stage was wider and had more depth.

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,005 of 1,463
thanks to the both of you for the discussion on the performance with classical music. i happen to own the HD800 (spoiled) and am looking for an in ear solution for on-the-go. as mentioned, my musical preference is classical music in many facets (but no opera), sometimes jazz and blues. The only noteworthy inear i had (before it broke) was the Brainwavz M3 which i kind of enjoyed. so i was hoping to find a home with the b400, though the warm sound signature and missing dynamic that is frequently mentioned are a bit of a turn off for me. I was also looking to the UE900s - can anybody give me an indication as to whether it is the possible better solution for my musical tastes? or does, Yangian, the IE 800 do the potential trick for me (although i am unsure whether with my equipment treatment this is at the right price point).

thanks very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back