Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Oct 11, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #256 of 1,463
Does anyone know how does the B400 stack up to Audio Technica’s IM02? I quite like the sound signature of the IM02 and am in the market for a new pair of headphones now..

With the B400 at a comparable price, it seems like a good replacement.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #257 of 1,463
@razzer001 How is the driver built-up on the B400?
2 low, 1 mid and 1 high?

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #258 of 1,463
Oct 12, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #260 of 1,463
Quick question to the wonderfully responsive brainwavz team:
Any plans for a 3.5 mm mmcx cable with inline mic / controls?
If not, any recommendations on that end? E.g., would the Shure cbl-m+-k or more recent rmce cables that have the Shure SE mmcx connectors work?

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #263 of 1,463
He's feeling a bit ill and swamped. I'll also do a review after some weeks.
Reviewers are not allowed to be ill i thought? Joking of course. Hope you feel better soon @Brooko!

Yea your thoughts would be most welcome... pretty sure ill get these but Cardas A8 was another option or LZ A4, UPQ QE80, 1more quad or Dunu 2002.. there was about 15 on my shortlist but lost the flippin notebook.
Cheers

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #264 of 1,463
If not, any recommendations on that end? E.g., would the Shure cbl-m+-k or more recent rmce cables that have the Shure SE mmcx connectors work?

The Shure microphone + remote cable would fit but is unfortunately not of the highest quality (the remote unit is unnecessarily large, the cable below the y-splitter does not appear as sturdy as with the regular cable, the straight 3.5 mm plug appears like a weak spot with minimal Apple-like strain relief).
I don't know if it's still available somewhere, but the Logitech Ultimate Ears UE900/UE900S microphone cable would be a great choice for a cable that isn't only high quality but also inexpensive ($20-ish).

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #265 of 1,463

Yes we do, the in-line remote cable maybe ready around the start of November, they will look like our other standard MMCX cables with some changes to the design of the plug and splitter. The remote & mic will be compatible with iOS and most android phones.

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #266 of 1,463
razzer001: Excellent, that's good to hear :)

As per HiFiChris' comment (thanks!), I've had to replace the Shure CBL-M-K cables three times within a 2y period, and original UE900 cables are currently nigh impossible to find in EU, so that would only leave us hoping the new RMCE Shure cable has improved :)

In any case, looking forward to the "official" mic cable option, looks like this is making my Xmas self-gift list, hope the HEAD-FI discount lasts till then :D

The Shure microphone + remote cable would fit but is unfortunately not of the highest quality (the remote unit is unnecessarily large, the cable below the y-splitter does not appear as sturdy as with the regular cable, the straight 3.5 mm plug appears like a weak spot with minimal Apple-like strain relief).
I don't know if it's still available somewhere, but the Logitech Ultimate Ears UE900/UE900S microphone cable would be a great choice for a cable that isn't only high quality but also inexpensive ($20-ish).

Yes we do, the in-line remote cable maybe ready around the start of November, they will look like our other standard MMCX cables with some changes to the design of the plug and splitter. The remote & mic will be compatible with iOS and most android phones.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #267 of 1,463
i almost pulled the trigger on 1more quad before i saw massdrop plus IEM and now this B400. has anyone tried some of them and give me some impression?

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #268 of 1,463
@Fatdoi here was a recent review from this thread. More coming
Review is fixed and here-> https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/br...armature-earphones.22688/reviews#review-19275
Some info, some pics, and tried to give an idea of how they sound. I did mention the graph from @Brooko but other than that leave all the measuring to him :) Feel free to ask any questions.

I sold my CKR90 on already so I didn't include any comparisons. No real point. B200 is pretty comfortable in it's own right but other than that it isn't on the same plane. CH9T is pretty, has a sweet signature and also comfy but needs some cable magic at least to run with the B400. Going from Hi-Res to lower res kind of thing so at best the Pioneer may match the bass reach and also have a good size stage but that's about it.

If I grab a walnut V3 then I'll have a 2.5 balanced again and will add about the performance using the Candy Cane balanced cable.

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #269 of 1,463
razzer001: Excellent, that's good to hear :)

As per HiFiChris' comment (thanks!), I've had to replace the Shure CBL-M-K cables three times within a 2y period, and original UE900 cables are currently nigh impossible to find in EU, so that would only leave us hoping the new RMCE Shure cable has improved :)

In any case, looking forward to the "official" mic cable option, looks like this is making my Xmas self-gift list, hope the HEAD-FI discount lasts till then :D

To be fair, cables with inline remotes have a higher risk of failure than a cable without inline mic. The actual remote/mic take quite a beating usually from normal usage and they can easily come into contact with sweat which will, if the sweat gets in to the mic/remote housing, corrode the wire connections. Usually cold solder joints caused by corrosion are the main reason a inline remote will stop working, there are ways to stop this, i.e. incase the board in silicone except for the mic, but usually not always effective and come with a string of draw backs.

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #270 of 1,463
I've always avoided IEM/headphones cables with a mic for the assumption that the extra component (may) reduce fidelity / purety of sound. Not sure how true that is, but in many cases those cables are also made of a lower grade conductor than aftermarket cables... though again that could be different in this case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back