BQEYZ in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #706 of 1,701
How does it compare to the BLON BL-03 in terms of tonality and timbre?

Tonality and timbre on Spring 1 is as natural as Blon BL-03, they sounded just like a single DD with that air moving from big 13mm DD. The mids supposedly taken care by BA doesnt sound like a BA at all. Its definitely on top list of good timbre along with BL-03.

But on technicalities side, for sure they trumps off the BLON. 1 of below $200 king candidate.

For me Spring 1 > BL03 > TFZ no 3 / Kanas Pro / Ikko OH1 / etc

The keywords are : Smooth, Airy, wide, details, mids

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #707 of 1,701
Tonality and timbre on Spring 1 is as natural as Blon BL-03, they sounded just like a single DD with that air moving from big 13mm DD. The mids supposedly taken care by BA doesnt sound like a BA at all. Its definitely on top list of good timbre along with BL-03.

But on technicalities side, for sure they trumps off the BLON. 1 of below $200 king candidate.

For me Spring 1 > BL03 > TFZ no 3 / Kanas Pro / Ikko OH1 / etc

Thanks, if Spring 1 is sufficiently discounted on 11/11, it will be my number one priority to purchase.
Though I read a lot of equivocal things about the Spring 1's bass. I know you are very particular about bass, what do u think of it?

Oct 14, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #708 of 1,701
Bass is very good quality, not quite the quantity I was expecting from a 13mm DD. Attack and decay doesn't sound like a 13mm DD so the magnet must be very strong.
How does it compare to the BLON BL-03 in terms of tonality and timbre?
Similar, but smoother. It's a level up with caveats (power and volume)...

I'm still trying to find an analogy that works. It's like in astronomy when you put a filter on your telescope to study the sun or moon. They're dampening the BA and piezo so that you can really put power into them and hear them without any shrillness and without torching your eardrums. But to do so well, you need a lot of power and signal strength.... The detail can be incredible at high volume but a bit lacking at low volume as the warmth drowns it out.

You need to have power and listen at high volume to use these to their potential. If not, at lower volume and/or power, the bl-03 is going to sound as good or better.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #709 of 1,701
Thanks, if Spring 1 is sufficiently discounted on 11/11, it will be my number one priority to purchase.
Though I read a lot of equivocal things about the Spring 1's bass. I know you are very particular about bass, what do u think of it?

to be honest, the bass was a mess OOTB, they need to be tighten up with burn in, at least 100 hours (i cant tell exactly how many hours to make a differences, but i guess 100 hours is enough). Then because the bass part are quite big, you need to get correct tips (get the wide bore one with short nozzle so they only overlap a bit with IEM nozzle end so the eartips dont make resonance chamber. Stock reference tips is good if you can get decent seal, but unfortunately for my big canals, they were too small, I had to search and opened boxes of eartips. I found 1 that I can get decent seal.
From this point, the bass will be at their best scene (burn in + correct eartips) :
-With decent seal you get the subdue subbass, they are more heard, and quite big rumble, not as much as Kanas Pro but decent enough (not for bassheads)
-articulation and texture is very good, not great, but very good, better than Kanas Pro, similar to BLON
-Decay for a big 13mm drivers are on fast side although not as fast as BLON, but definitely faster than Kanas Pro, similar to No 3 in terms of decay
-mid bass bleed still there by little bit, can be bloated on some tracks with big mid bass mixing, particularly on 80-125khz, roughly there (if you use small bore eartips and long nozzle eartips that make resonance, that frequency will be bloated and caused a mess)
-Quantity wise, subbass below BL-03 level, the mid bass around the same, so basically their mid bass is a little bit bigger than sub bass aka sub bass rolled off from 30hz below.
-To be frank Bass is an area where Spring 1 dont excel with, but dont get wrong, they are not that bad, previous BQEYZ have sub bass roll off, and bigger mid bass, and in Spring 1 they already improved. They are above average, just not that great and can be bloomy on some tracks. Edit : perhaps I need to say, they are above budget class quality, to avoid confusing.

Bass is very good quality, not quite the quantity I was expecting from a 13mm DD. Attack and decay doesn't sound like a 13mm DD so the magnet must be very strong.

Similar, but smoother. It's a level up with caveats (power and volume)...

I'm still trying to find an analogy that works. It's like in astronomy when you put a filter on your telescope to study the sun or moon. They're dampening the BA and piezo so that you can really put power into them and hear them without any shrillness and without torching your eardrums. But to do so well, you need a lot of power and signal strength.... The detail can be incredible at high volume but a bit lacking at low volume as the warmth drowns it out.

You need to have power and listen at high volume to use these to their potential. If not, at lower volume and/or power, the bl-03 is going to sound as good or better.

I agree, they are very smooth and balanced that you can crank up the volume without any certain frequency kill your ears. Actually not so many IEMs can have this situation, and so many IEMs will stab your ear with 3khz peak on high volume. If you can listen in high volume, you will hear more details, and higher frequency will resonance more so they will be louder while lower frequencies will be on linear with volume level. So this Spring 1 wont be great to be listen in low volume, but they will shine on higher volume level.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #710 of 1,701
I bought the KB100 that's so many people praised me. But i found them not enought resolute.
In a nutshell, i found even KZ zsn outperform them in many ways (in my cortex).

However, their fit seem's to be hugely better for me than whole kz's familly ! (the Andromeda sharp sides are more painful for a similar shell)

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #712 of 1,701
Fellow user in Fearless thread asked me to compare Spring 1 with Fearless S8F. I just posted there my thoughts with some short overview of both.
If anyone's interested here it is:

OK feeling better today so I figure let's spin couple of songs and check for differences In S8F and Spring 1. This testing I've done on flat EQ settings. I used ES100, both unbalanced, stock cable on Spring 1 and Gu.Craftsman 6n occ copper on S8F and both with Symbio peel tips because they fit my ears best.

Bass
Spring 1 has boosted mid bass region, which is not too bad but it's not ideal too IMO. S8F on the other hand have more sub bass which I like, low end sounds much more fuller and textured. Heavy metal, distorted guitars sound way cleaner and better.

Mids
No surprise here, are cleaner on S8F. Female and higher male vocals are amazing. Baritones shake my ears (Tim Foust on Misty Mountains) goosebumps there. Spring 1 pulls this song very well too. But like I said Spring 1 with stock tuning mid bass bleeds a bit into the mids making them veiled and muddy. Not a problem to EQ.

Highs
I think I saw a graph somewhere for Spring 1 and I think there is a peak somewhere in early treble region 2k-4k making them just a bit harsh sounding in certain songs (actually I noticed that only when I compared it with S8F) It's on the edge of being sibilant. Symbals stick out and if I focus on them can become annoying. Again just in some songs, and it's not big deal to me cause ever since I got them I run them through EQ. (I'm being overly critical here). Ironic is what I just described for the treble but I still boost it up a bit more along with the sub bass to get my sound preference. It doesn't bother me.
S8F of course offers more natural treble representation, more pleasant, softer and easier on the ear.

Soundstage and imaging are fine on both, and honestly I don't care much for that I don't watch movies or game on iems.

Comfort is the only thing I like more on Spring 1, which I can wear for hours with no fatigue. But Fearless after 2-3 hours I'm feeling pain and pressure and I have to take a break. Needless to say S8F is much more easier to drive and much more efficient.

Of course S8F is better and more refined in every aspect but Spring 1 is no slouch. Overall Spring 1 stands well on its own, its very good iem and I had to A-B them to hear some differences, in the past few days I've been sick as a dog so I didn't really care much for iems. I like V sound signature and usually listen all my phones EQ'd. IMO it makes them come alive. Spring 1 can easily be polished out to sound to +90% like the more expensive models - brands. I even prefer to boost lows and highs on S8F (least amount though than any other phones).

With everything I wrote here one should keep in mind I still didn't burned them in, with infected hearing due to cold... and it's been only 2 weeks since I got Spring 1, Blon 1 week and S8F 3 days. But I must say so far I'm happy with all.

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #713 of 1,701
Fellow user in Fearless thread asked me to compare Spring 1 with Fearless S8F. I just posted there my thoughts with some short overview of both.

OK feeling better today so I figure let's spin couple of songs and check for differences In S8F and Spring 1. This testing I've done on flat EQ settings. I used ES100, both unbalanced, stock cable on Spring 1 and Gu.Craftsman 6n occ copper on S8F and both with Symbio peel tips because they fit my ears best.

Bass
Spring 1 has boosted mid bass region, which is not too bad but it's not ideal too IMO. S8F on the other hand have more sub bass which I like, low end sounds much more fuller and textured. Heavy metal, distorted guitars sound way cleaner and better.

Mids
No surprise here, are cleaner on S8F. Female and higher male vocals are amazing. Baritones shake my ears (Tim Foust on Misty Mountains) goosebumps there. Spring 1 pulls this song very well too. But like I said Spring 1 with stock tuning mid bass bleeds a bit into the mids making them veiled and muddy. Not a problem to EQ.

Highs
I think I saw a graph somewhere for Spring 1 and I think there is a peak somewhere in early treble region 2k-4k making them just a bit harsh sounding in certain songs (actually I noticed that only when I compared it with S8F) It's on the edge of being sibilant. Symbals stick out and if I focus on them can become annoying. Again just in some songs, and it's not big deal to me cause ever since I got them I run them through EQ. (I'm being overly critical here). Ironic is what I just described for the treble but I still boost it up a bit more along with the sub bass to get my sound preference. It doesn't bother me.
S8F of course offers more natural treble representation, more pleasant, softer and easier on the ear.

Soundstage and imaging are fine on both, and honestly I don't care much for that I don't watch movies or game on iems.

Comfort is the only thing I like more on Spring 1, which I can wear for hours with no fatigue. But Fearless after 2-3 hours I'm feeling pain and pressure and I have to take a break. Needless to say S8F is much more easier to drive and much more efficient.

Of course S8F is better and more refined in every aspect but Spring 1 is no slouch. Overall Spring 1 stands well on its own, its very good iem and I had to A-B them to hear some differences, in the past few days I've been sick as a dog so I didn't really care much for iems. I like V sound signature and usually listen all my phones EQ'd. IMO it makes them come alive. Spring 1 can easily be polished out to sound to +90% like the more expensive models - brands. I even prefer to boost lows and highs on S8F (least amount though than any other phones).

With everything I wrote here one should keep in mind I still didn't burned them in, with infected hearing due to cold... and it's been only 2 weeks since I got Spring 1, Blon 1 week and S8F 3 days. But I must say so far I'm happy with all.

great comparison buddy, but in the first place the Spring 1 isnt even a contender for S8F, they are on different league clearly. Anyway try to burn in the Spring 1 because the big 13mm drivers have benefit with burn in process.

oh and get well soon!

Oct 14, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #714 of 1,701

Bass

Mids

Highs

I own the S8f as well. They're good, but I'm not sure I'd really put them that far apart in any regards. Apples and oranges....
BQ3 are one of my most used iems, KB1 is also very good
I've been listening to the spring 1 a lot, but just put the bq3 back in my ears and I think they'll stay there for a while.

I think it'll be my reference tuning from now on when anyone asks what type of tuning I prefer...

The spring 1 is quite different, I wouldn't say it's necessarily better or worse, just different.

The bass on the bq3 is quite something though. I'm kind of disappointed that the Spring 1 didn't have even bigger bass given the 13mm DD....

Still, the spring 1 is unique enough to be worthwhile.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #715 of 1,701

to be honest, the bass was a mess OOTB, they need to be tighten up with burn in, at least 100 hours (i cant tell exactly how many hours to make a differences, but i guess 100 hours is enough). Then because the bass part are quite big, you need to get correct tips (get the wide bore one with short nozzle so they only overlap a bit with IEM nozzle end so the eartips dont make resonance chamber. Stock reference tips is good if you can get decent seal, but unfortunately for my big canals, they were too small, I had to search and opened boxes of eartips. I found 1 that I can get decent seal.
From this point, the bass will be at their best scene (burn in + correct eartips) :
-With decent seal you get the subdue subbass, they are more heard, and quite big rumble, not as much as Kanas Pro but decent enough (not for bassheads)
-articulation and texture is very good, not great, but very good, better than Kanas Pro, similar to BLON
-Decay for a big 13mm drivers are on fast side although not as fast as BLON, but definitely faster than Kanas Pro, similar to No 3 in terms of decay
-mid bass bleed still there by little bit, can be bloated on some tracks with big mid bass mixing, particularly on 80-125khz, roughly there (if you use small bore eartips and long nozzle eartips that make resonance, that frequency will be bloated and caused a mess)
-Quantity wise, subbass below BL-03 level, the mid bass around the same, so basically their mid bass is a little bit bigger than sub bass aka sub bass rolled off from 30hz below.
-To be frank Bass is an area where Spring 1 dont excel with, but dont get wrong, they are not that bad, previous BQEYZ have sub bass roll off, and bigger mid bass, and in Spring 1 they already improved. They are above average, just not that great and can be bloomy on some tracks. Edit : perhaps I need to say, they are above budget class quality, to avoid confusing.

Thanks for the detailed and objective bass review. I'm now a bit hesistant to get the Spring 1, cause I'm a basshead. And it looks like it may be hard to get a good eartip for the bass. Well we shall see how much it will be on 11/11!

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #716 of 1,701
Thanks for the detailed and objective bass review. I'm now a bit hesistant to get the Spring 1, cause I'm a basshead. And it looks like it may be hard to get a good eartip for the bass. Well we shall see how much it will be on 11/11!

Its no basshead level like No 3, but they are not bass light either. Almost like BL-03, with reduced sub bass. They are not bad, i dont intend to but i hope I wasn't give misleading too much just because Im picky on bass quality, they are still better than most budget IEM bass, those KZs, TRNs, etc. Just that the excellence of mids and highs made a quite a gap with the bass. The mids and highs are very smooth, very good tuning, clear and details but not harsh even in high volume. If you are a mid lover with touch of bass, you will like the mid forward presentation.
Its similar to KB100, with better bass than KB100 (better sub bass), retain the forwarded mids, with much more details, clarity, and still smooth and extra wider soundstage with still great imaging.
If BLON BL03 is a logical upgrade from MH755, then this Spring 1 is a logical upgrade from BL03, great musicality, great tuning, details details details while smooth smooth smooth

Oct 14, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #717 of 1,701
Very smooth. But honestly the bq3 is a better basshead set and honestly an easier recommendation for bassheads or in general. It has far more intense bass than the blon or nicehck db3 as well. And it isn't as "unique" sounding. I get the feeling some people won't gel with the spring 1....

I'm around 150 hours and I still feel like burn in is happening on the spring 1, but the bass isn't as intense as the bq3, partly because of the higher power demand, but also the tuning.

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #718 of 1,701
Nothing to substitute KC2 in the range up to 200 bucks. You can either go for BA getting tighter bass or use 40-60 bucks pocket amplifier to get wider scene, better details and more juicy bass.

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #719 of 1,701
Spring 1 are getting benefit from burn in process, especially on bass section, which now over 120 hours become tighter, no more boomy, loose, woolly mid bass and thus perceiving a better articulation and texture for the bass. These are so easily to expect as bass section are handled by 13mm Dynamic Driver. If you experience that boomy, loose mid bass, you can try to burn them in, and put wide bore tips. Still continue to burn mine..

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #720 of 1,701
Spring 1 are getting benefit from burn in process, especially on bass section, which now over 120 hours become tighter, no more boomy, loose, woolly mid bass and thus perceiving a better articulation and texture for the bass. These are so easily to expect as bass section are handled by 13mm Dynamic Driver. If you experience that boomy, loose mid bass, you can try to burn them in, and put wide bore tips. Still continue to burn mine..
What wide bore tips do you use, because I have a bad fit, with mine?
Maybe because of the long nozzle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back