BQEYZ in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #676 of 1,701
The bq3 reaches deeper, EQs better and sounds more head rattling than the spring 1 IMO.

That's interesting... I found the bass overwhelming to my ears on the BQ3, not matter what eartips I used (otherwise I liked the BQ3). Basically the Spring 1 fixes that one big issue I had with the BQ3, and I think offers more treble detail without being too harsh.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #677 of 1,701
That's interesting... I found the bass overwhelming to my ears on the BQ3, not matter what eartips I used (otherwise I liked the BQ3). Basically the Spring 1 fixes that one big issue I had with the BQ3, and I think offers more treble detail without being too harsh.
Lol, and i EQ the bass +7db on the bq3.

I find the Spring 1 to be nice, but not as fun sounding as the bq3. The bq3 remind me a lot of the Andromeda but with DD bass. It has a vivid, larger than life sound...

As a note, I have to drive the Spring 1 as hard as my RHA CL2, which tells me to tell others to stay away unless they have at least a decent DAP to power them.

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #679 of 1,701
It's interesting to me - the impressions of the Sping1 have been more all over the place than any earphone I can remember. My theory is it's because - for some reason - the sound you get is sensitively related to insertion depth, but who knows?

I think the all-over-the-place comments are due to the power requirements too. Use a good source, sounds good. Use a crap Android phone, sounds not so good.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #680 of 1,701
I think the all-over-the-place comments are due to the power requirements too. Use a good source, sounds good. Use a crap Android phone, sounds not so good.

That could certainly be a factor. When I talk about my experience with IEMs, if they have a removable cable, I'm using a 2.5mm balanced connection to my Onkyo DP-S1 DAP, so I have plenty of power on hand.

Oct 10, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #681 of 1,701
That could certainly be a factor. When I talk about my experience with IEMs, if they have a removable cable, I'm using a 2.5mm balanced connection to my Onkyo DP-S1 DAP, so I have plenty of power on hand.
I think that's highly important here as I have to push these as hard as my CL2 to really open them up and make them dynamic.

The other earphone that's very popular like this is the tin p1, which I don't own, which is similar to the CL2, that I do own, but more sensitive than the CL2. So using some rough comparisons, you need more power to drive the Spring 1 than the P1, which many are complaining about for being hard to drive....

Don't buy the spring 1 if you're going to drive it from a phone. It'll sound kind of dead....

You're going to want 300mw minimum for this set. That said, it's a more analytical tuning than the bq3.

As many things do, they're growing on me today as I'm listening to them. The bass goes deeper than any other pair I have, but I can't quite EQ the quantity I'm looking for out of them, and they don't have quite the sense of air as the bq3...

Oct 10, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #682 of 1,701
Hi, I have a problem with Kb1. I tried to cover one of the holes in the front of the L side. And when I tried them they sounded with less volume than the R side. I removed the tape and it still sounds soft. Could it be that I stripped the headset? It's not a cable problem, since I tried with others and the L side still sounds less. I need help.

Oct 10, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #683 of 1,701
It just sounds like piezoelectric is power hungry. **** sounds better with power. N3 sounds better with power. Spring 1 is sounding like it also needs power.

Bq3 mids and treble are just about perfect to me. The bass is where it loses me. Not very good to my ears compared to CNT or Kanas or even mh755. To much mid bass compared to sub bass for me. I would love to see the 13mm driver put in something with the sameish mids and treble as the bq3.

Oddly I have been using BQ3 for bass light genres and have been regularly blown away at how good they sound. Swing jazz, Enka, adult contemporary, folk ect.

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #685 of 1,701
So the Spring 1 is just sort of...ok. I think I actually prefer the BQ3.

The spring 1 definitely benefits from more power and higher volumes. Compared to the other IEMs Ive been listening to as of late (blon bl03, nicehck DB3, bq3) I'm running it at significantly more power by about 15-20 steps on my R6 pro.

This helped a lot to open up the sound and fill in the details, but overall I don't think these are worth the added cost from the likes of the bq3. They're not bad, they just don't really do much for me. The bass on the bq3 is subjectively more too my liking, as The spring 1 it's actually a lot faster and more accurate than you might expect from a 13mm DD. The bq3 reaches deeper, EQs better and sounds more head rattling than the spring 1 IMO.

I think it is the more mellow 5-7Khz region you are missing and you must prefer more sub-bass. I recently heard the TFZ King Pro and that sucker has both, the subbass on those things are just great, boosted but great.
TFZ King Pro graph
King-Pro-1024x505.jpg
You would miss the air that the piezo driver adds to the Spring1 though. I personally think the Spring1 works well on my HTC10 although it has more output than most typical phones, and sounds nearly identical on my JDS 02. The lower sensitivity allows it to use more of the volume knob and I find it does come more "alive" at medium to high volume settings. I have almost completed my full review to be posted soon.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #686 of 1,701
The BQ3's nozzle is so difficult for tips to stay on! I finally settled on the JVC Spiral Dot only because it stays on instead of coming off in my ear, but have compromised clarity :frowning2:

Ok, I'm glad it's not just me. The spring 1 has a tiny little lip on it, I haven't gotten any tips stuck in my ear yet with them, but it's still going to happen at some point.

I think it is the more mellow 5-7Khz region you are missing and you must prefer more sub-bass. I recently heard the TFZ King Pro and that sucker has both, the subbass on those things are just great, boosted but great.
TFZ King Pro graph
King-Pro-1024x505.jpg
You would miss the air that the piezo driver adds to the Spring1 though. I personally think the Spring1 works well on my HTC10 although it has more output than most typical phones, and sounds nearly identical on my JDS 02. The lower sensitivity allows it to use more of the volume knob and I find it does come more "alive" at medium to high volume settings. I have almost completed my full review to be posted soon.
No doubt, I'm a avowed basshead, hence buying a set with a 13mm DD.

I'm at around 100hrs burn in on these now, I'm hoping the highs move towards the bq3 tuning. They just don't seem to have the same gravitas in that region as the bq3. I'm having a hard time describing it, but the upper registers on the bq3 remind me of the Andromeda with their sense of spaciousness. It's exaggerated (aka not what you'd call "accurate") in some respects, but it's a really lovely sound.

Oct 11, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #687 of 1,701
I'm using my BQ3's with the blue tooth cable that came with the Peacock iems and pairing them with my Sony A45, sound terrific.

20191011_150207[1].jpg

Oct 11, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #688 of 1,701
I'm using my BQ3's with the blue tooth cable that came with the Peacock iems and pairing them with my Sony A45, sound terrific.

Heck yes, to borrow from a modern day poet, why spend $2300 on the legend x when you can buy these and smoke $2250 worth of weed while listening to them.

These are a very lovely V signature.

Oct 11, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #689 of 1,701
Ok, I'm glad it's not just me. The spring 1 has a tiny little lip on it, I haven't gotten any tips stuck in my ear yet with them, but it's still going to happen at some point.

I thought I remember reading here the Spring 1 has a longer nozzle? So what tip do you use with your BQ3?

Is the bluetooth any good and is it available separately?

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #690 of 1,701
I thought I remember reading here the Spring 1 has a longer nozzle? So what tip do you use with your BQ3?

Is the bluetooth any good and is it available separately?
I have no idea the peacock came with a normal cable and a blue tooth one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back