BQEYZ in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #736 of 1,701
Oct 24, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #737 of 1,701
4DB7325E-080F-4776-BB05-B2F6AD260897.jpeg

Got a pair of Spring 1 yesterday. I normally prefer warmer/darker stuff but had been looking to add something that has really good detail as a complement to those. Initial impressions are good: detail is certainly there, the cable seems to be of good quality and is not too short (a personal gripe).

Not a basshead IEM, but the bass that's there seems good -- although this seems to be somewhat dependent on having a source with some power. Bass is pretty thin with the single-ended output of the ES100. (The Spring 1 is not as hard to drive as the Advanced GT3 Superbass, but it's pretty close.) I haven't tried balanced on the ES100 yet, but it's probably quite a bit better. (Update: yes, going from SE to balanced on the ES100 does improve the bass.)

Spring 1 does not seem to respond gracefully to aggressive bass boosting via EQ, alas. Also I am normally partial to a faster bass like one gets with planars or to a lesser extent with the Superbass. But I think it works really well for acoustic bass content (double bass, tuba, pipe organ) where you want detail/texture and not just impact.

Finding the right tips is definitely a bit trickier than usual. Spiral dots no sound good; the stock "reference" wide bore tips sound great (although, a bit fatiguing depending on tracks) but make it hard to get adequate isolation because they're just too short; wide bore dual flange tips that came with the GT3 & iBasso IT01 work very well; Spinfit twin-blade fit well but maybe darken the sound too much; regular Spinfit (correction: CP145, not original CP100) are probably the goldilocks solution for me, as they take some edge off the treble without really removing detail, and they're very comfortable. KZ Starline also work well. (As always, best eartips are dependent on everybody's particular ears.) Update: Going back through all my tips again after a couple days, and I'd say that for me, the wide bore silicone options aren't just fatiguing, but impart a tinny and unnatural sound to some vocals. CP145 or foams seem to have the most correct timbre out of what I have.

Isolation is...submediocre, with the tips I've tried so far.

Making some VERY CASUAL comparisons to IEMs I have around, which is, iSine 20, Massdrop Plus, GT3 Superbass, iBasso IT01: Brighter than all of them, more detailed than the Superbass & IT01 for sure, more dynamic and better soundstage & imaging/separation than the MD Plus but less natural/organic/neutral, probably better across the board than the IT01 in terms of sound, other than the risk of fatigue. Isolation worse than any of these except of course the open-back iSine. The iSine (with EQ) is not giving up anything to the Spring 1 otherwise, at least based on my preferences.

Somewhat source sensitive. Sounds great with the Ray Samuels SR-71A, which has gobs of power. Onkyo DP-S1 also seems to work great, I'm sure any DAP with reasonable power would. ES100 single ended is not great re: bass, as mentioned. Doesn't work great with the ALO CDM's DAC section (that DAC has an aggressively smooth tuning), but running the ES100 into the CDM's amp section is a treat. I only tried it briefly with my Phatlab Phantasy and it sounded quite different (not necessarily unpleasantly), but I'll need to experiment to figure out if that's a result of impedance issues or just the Spring 1's rendition of the Phantasy's tubiness.

Update: Yeah, I think the Spring 1's BA driver does not like even the lower of the Phantasy's two impedance settings. (Sorry, I don't know what the actual output impedance value of either setting is.) Some midrange frequencies sound like they're underwater.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #738 of 1,701
I agree. Spring 1 are source sensitive.
Tried with the ZX300 and it pairs well, in balanced mode, with the sendmark tips.

Oct 25, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #739 of 1,701
I agree. Spring 1 are source sensitive.
Tried with the ZX300 and it pairs well, in balanced mode, with the sendmark tips.

Im more an eartips collector rather than iem collector i guess. But I have never heard of them?
What brand is that? Or are you accidentally type error which are actually you were refering to Sedna Eartips?

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #740 of 1,701
Oct 25, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #741 of 1,701
While I enjoy recently bought and well-reviewed IEMs like the BLON BL-03, TRN V90 and TFZ T2 Galaxy I still find myself preferring the **** in many ways. I find its basic signature to be exceptional, along with its detail, clarity, imaging, separation, 3 dimensional soundstage, great extension on both ends, and smoothness. What I would like to find is an IEM with those same qualities but with a more natural timbre, slightly more speed, definition and authority in the bass, and simply more refinement and improvement overall. Would you guys say that the BQEYZ Spring 1 matches what I'm looking for?

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #742 of 1,701
While I enjoy recently bought and well-reviewed IEMs like the BLON BL-03, TRN V90 and TFZ T2 Galaxy I still find myself preferring the **** in many ways. I find its basic signature to be exceptional, along with its detail, clarity, imaging, separation, 3 dimensional soundstage, great extension on both ends, and smoothness. What I would like to find is an IEM with those same qualities but with a more natural timbre, slightly more speed, definition and authority in the bass, and simply more refinement and improvement overall. Would you guys say that the BQEYZ Spring 1 matches what I'm looking for?
Hi, The Spring 1's higher-middle elevation is something, what **** doesn't have. One prefers female vocals, second male. ****'s successor can be Tin Hifi P1, they sound similar.

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #743 of 1,701

I wouldn't look to the Spring1 for that stuff. I like it a lot, but naturalness is not it's strong suite, and I wouldn't describe the bass as beeing super fast and defined (though I still think it's quite good). Have you considered the Dunu Titan 6? It has the same form factor, sounds natural to my ears, and the bass has some nice punch to it. I'm really enjoying mine, and haven't really listended to my **** since I got it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #744 of 1,701
I wouldn't look to the Spring1 for that stuff. I like it a lot, but naturalness is not it's strong suite, and I wouldn't describe the bass as beeing super fast and defined (though I still think it's quite good). Have you considered the Dunu Titan 6? It has the same form factor, sounds natural to my ears, and the bass has some nice punch to it. I'm really enjoying mine, and haven't really listended to my **** since I got it.
I agree about the naturalness of the sound but the bass is quite good to my ears. If you want a pair of very natural sounding earphones the spring 1 would be near the bottom of my list for the pairs I've heard, but it's just so unique sounding in the staging department.... But just not what people are used to hearing. I don't have an analogous pair for the recessed/veiled sounds it presents in such a pleasant way.... Most of the time those descriptions are strictly negative, but I enjoy them here.

The DunuT6 is on my short list to get next (as well as the ****, tfz no.3, trn im2, etc). Is the bass powerful and deep? Big DD drivers intrigue me.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #745 of 1,701
The DunuT6 is on my short list to get next (as well as the ****, tfz no.3, trn im2, etc). Is the bass powerful and deep? Big DD drivers intrigue me.

Yeah it's pretty muscular. Kick drums have a really satisfying punch on the T6. I wouldn't say it's super deep, though. The extension is there, but sub-bass isn't over-emphasized.

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #746 of 1,701

I haven't tried the BQEYZ Spring 1, but IMHO the Toneking Ninetails is a more refined and smoother version of the BLON BL-03 and ****.
I liked the **** so much when I first got it earlier this year that I bought 2 sets. I realized later on that the ****'s timbre for acoustic instruments (eg brass, woodwind, strings) was quite artificial, and as I listened to mostly acoustic, jazz and classical, this was a big issue for me. If u do listen to pop, rock and EDM, the **** is a superb pair for the price. Some folks ain't OCD about timbre too, so that's a moot point if so. Anyway, I sold the **** away after I got the BLON due to the natural coherency/timbre.

In terms of **** vs Toneking Ninetails, the Ninetails wins handsdown in timbre and natural coherency. In fact it has 9 tuning filter options to give anything from a neutral to V shaped to basshead sound signature, so u can tune it however u wish. Soundstage is wider in the Ninetails but in terms of speed it might lose out to the **** as Ninetails is a pure single DD IEM and single DDs have their inherent strengths and weaknesses compared to a hybrid/piezo like ****.

I'm keeping my eye out for the Spring 1 during 11/11, but so far the equivocal reviews on the bass of the Spring 1 is really putting me on the fence.

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #747 of 1,701

Thank you for the recommendation. Isn't the Titan 6 fairly V shaped though? It does seem like a very good IEM, but probably not really what I'm looking for. One of the things I like about the **** are the mids which are detailed and not recessed. I didn't mean to make it sound like I want really prominent bass or dramatically more responsive bass. I actually really like the ****'s lows, I just felt that I would like a bit of improvement in that area. But if the lows are no better on the Spring 1 I wouldn't be that disappointed as long as there were nice improvements elsewhere.

As far as naturalness, I don't need the most natural timbre in the world. It's just another area I would enjoy a little improvement in. The reviews I've read have indicated the Spring 1 is pretty good in that regard. Not as good as some single dynamic drivers etc, but fairly good nevertheless.

For example:

"Revealing yet natural sound"
"TIMBRE is thick, textured, and well rounded. It sound at the same time natural and super colorfull, and have a mix of opaque bass, transparent mid range and crisp treble. Slightly bright, but carefully polished."
https://nobsaudiophile.wordpress.co...1-anatomy-of-musicality-is-lush-not-clinical/

"Tonality is great, timbre is good, brain adjustment not needed when switching between IEMs which to me is a sign of natural timbre."
https://www.audioreviews.org/bqeyz-spring-1-review-durwood/

"Pros: Detail, detail, detail, timbre, and textures"
Comparing to the Kinboofi Mx6..."Detail is better on the Spring 1 and tonality seems a bit more natural too."
Comparing to the BQEYZ KB100..."The timbre is better, more textured, more detailed, and as a result the Spring 1 has a much more engaging tonality than the KB100."
https://audiofool.reviews/2019/09/08/bqeyz-spring1/

If I was going solely by the reviews I've read on other sites I would have already bought the Spring 1 because those make it sound like what I'm looking for: detailed, smooth, well extended, large soundstage, fairly neutral/balanced, good timbre, great mids, etc. But I'm just trying to get a better sense of things before I commit the money. It's kind of confusing because it seems like there are such conflicting descriptions. I know there is a lot of subjectivity involved in this hobby, but there seems to be more discrepancy in opinions of this IEM here on head fi than of many other IEMs I've looked at.

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #748 of 1,701
Thank you for the recommendation. Isn't the Titan 6 fairly V shaped though? It does seem like a very good IEM, but probably not really what I'm looking for. One of the things I like about the **** are the mids which are detailed and not recessed. I didn't mean to make it sound like I want really prominent bass or dramatically more responsive bass. I actually really like the ****'s lows, I just felt that I would like a bit of improvement in that area. But if the lows are no better on the Spring 1 I wouldn't be that disappointed as long as there were nice improvements elsewhere.

As far as naturalness, I don't need the most natural timbre in the world. It's just another area I would enjoy a little improvement in. The reviews I've read have indicated the Spring 1 is pretty good in that regard. Not as good as some single dynamic drivers etc, but fairly good nevertheless.

For example:

"Revealing yet natural sound"
"TIMBRE is thick, textured, and well rounded. It sound at the same time natural and super colorfull, and have a mix of opaque bass, transparent mid range and crisp treble. Slightly bright, but carefully polished."
https://nobsaudiophile.wordpress.co...1-anatomy-of-musicality-is-lush-not-clinical/

"Tonality is great, timbre is good, brain adjustment not needed when switching between IEMs which to me is a sign of natural timbre."
https://www.audioreviews.org/bqeyz-spring-1-review-durwood/

"Pros: Detail, detail, detail, timbre, and textures"
Comparing to the Kinboofi Mx6..."Detail is better on the Spring 1 and tonality seems a bit more natural too."
Comparing to the BQEYZ KB100..."The timbre is better, more textured, more detailed, and as a result the Spring 1 has a much more engaging tonality than the KB100."
https://audiofool.reviews/2019/09/08/bqeyz-spring1/

If I was going solely by the reviews I've read on other sites I would have already bought the Spring 1 because those make it sound like what I'm looking for: detailed, smooth, well extended, large soundstage, fairly neutral/balanced, good timbre, great mids, etc. But I'm just trying to get a better sense of things before I commit the money. It's kind of confusing because it seems like there are such conflicting descriptions. I know there is a lot of subjectivity involved in this hobby, but there seems to be more discrepancy in opinions of this IEM here on head fi than of many other IEMs I've looked at.

Sounds like your mind is pretty made up. :ksc75smile:

Yeah don't get me wrong, the Spring1 sounds really goods. The reviews are inconsistent because the sound is apparently so tip-dependent. If you can find the right fit, I bet you'll be quite happy with it.

(I wouldn't call the Dunu T6 v-shaped, FWIW.)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #749 of 1,701
I received my Spring 1 today and have listened to them off and on for a few hours and I'm already in love. These are exceptional IEMs. From top to bottom there's nothing that grates on me or stands out as needing improvement. It's incredibly detailed, yet very smooth. The mids and vocals are dreamy. Simply incredible. It has exactly the sound I was looking for. Frankly, it blows away my other recent purchases like the TFZ T2, BLON BL-03, and TRN V90. Of course it's in a higher price bracket, but then again we know that price doesn't always correspond to sound quality in this hobby. The Spring 1 is one that's worth its price and then some.

Oct 29, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #750 of 1,701
I received my Spring 1 today and have listened to them off and on for a few hours and I'm already in love. These are exceptional IEMs. From top to bottom there's nothing that grates on me or stands out as needing improvement. It's incredibly detailed, yet very smooth. The mids and vocals are dreamy. Simply incredible. It has exactly the sound I was looking for. Frankly, it blows away my other recent purchases like the TFZ T2, BLON BL-03, and TRN V90. Of course it's in a higher price bracket, but then again we know that price doesn't always correspond to sound quality in this hobby. The Spring 1 is one that's worth its price and then some.

Of course they are not in the same league as I said before also. ZSX V90 BLON level is below this detail guru. try wide bore tips and burn them first, I founf the wide bore with shallow insertion sounds the best for me.

annnddddd.. credit to @Bui Hai Anh who has mentioned that He was experiment with the spring 1 nozzle grill, but then he put back on. Short story i was listening to the BLON, and then pick up the Spring 1 immediately and after listen, I found that Spring 1 is more detail, but like being veiled, like there is too much of something behind that cant get out, congested.
Suddenly i remember our friend @Bui Hai Anh, and I took out my tips and watched closely to the nozzle grill.. This is it! the nozzle grill holes are too small, there are so much blocking surface and my logic were saying if they attach with big 13mm driver but then cant go out at the same time, some air will be bounced back and made bloated sound.

So I took off my grill nozzle to try. D*mn!! thiss is the culprit!!! maybe BQEYZ was tune the Spring 1 without the final design of the nozzle grill. After I remove them, wow the BASS! faster, much tighter, not bloated at all, made me craving more, more balance between sub and mid bass, you have to try this. mids become more clear and highs also. On cons side, upper mids more aggresive but still safe, but on edge of being shouty, maybe can be a little bit shouty with some tracks, but they are still safe overall because the BA itself have dampers.

They are more fun now, and bass sounds crazy good. Cant believe that tiny little grill can hold so much potential and crash the goodness of the tuning. BQEYZ should know this if they dont know yet. I put back the nozzle grill now, waiting my replacement "dust network" to arrive.

if you want to do a little work, trust me : nozzle grill and eartips. Very easy mods.

20191026_041757.jpg

Edit: here the "too blocking nozzle grill" which is the culprit of bloated bass

Update : actually that were nozzle grill with thin black cloth on backside, they stick them together. I remember @Slater also said the same about BQEYZ dampers. Seriously take out them and these become crazy set! (dont worry they are still smooth enough, the BAs have their own dampers)

This is the nozzle grill
20191029_190513~2.jpg

And this is the backside of it (contains black mesh cloth that glued together - this is the culprit)
20191029_190455~2.jpg

Now take off that black mesh cloth
20191029_190251~2.jpg

Your nozzle grill without cloth should be like this, same material front and back
20191029_190207~2.jpg

Just put them back and now spring 1 sounds terrific!! No more bloated bass, more clarity.

If youre too scared, just try to remove the nozzle grill and try without grill at all.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back