Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Sep 26, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #2,161 of 2,191
I have received the PX7 s2e. Will try to figure out what I think about them. I have also owned the PX8 at one point as well.

Just a quick listen, they are not as good as the PX8, but that was expected. I do notice vocals are very clear on s2e.

Will give them more time, and I remember the PX8 opening up after a while, so hopefully I find that with the s2e, very soon

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #2,162 of 2,191
I have received the PX7 s2e. Will try to figure out what I think about them. I have also owned the PX8 at one point as well.

Just a quick listen, they are not as good as the PX8, but that was expected. I do notice vocals are very clear on s2e.

Will give them more time, and I remember the PX8 opening up after a while, so hopefully I find that with the s2e, very soon
Can't wait for your review!

Oct 18, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #2,163 of 2,191
I'm really enjoying the PX7 S2, lovely sounding headphone especially for the price they sit at these days.

But the material of the pads is really irritating, I find them quite uncomfortable compared to PX8. I wonder if you can put leather pX8 pads on them, anybody know?

Oct 18, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #2,164 of 2,191
I'm really enjoying the PX7 S2, lovely sounding headphone especially for the price they sit at these days.

But the material of the pads is really irritating, I find them quite uncomfortable compared to PX8. I wonder if you can put leather pX8 pads on them, anybody know?
What! I thought that you previously said that you did not care much for the PX7 S2! :ksc75smile:

I have the cream version of the PX7 S2 and find the pads very comfy. What color do have?

I had the PX8 and PX7 S2 at the same time and swapped over the pads. The PX7 S2 did not sound right to me with the leather pads of the PX8 but they do fit.

For my big head, I found the more flexible headband on the PX7 S2 better than the more rigid PX8.

Oct 18, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #2,165 of 2,191
What! I thought that you previously said that you did not care much for the PX7 S2! :ksc75smile:

I have the cream version of the PX7 S2 and find the pads very comfy. What color do have?

I had the PX8 and PX7 S2 at the same time and swapped over the pads. The PX7 S2 did not sound right to me with the leather pads of the PX8 but they do fit.

For my big head, I found the more flexible headband on the PX7 S2 better than the more rigid PX8.
I do like the PX7 S2 sound a lot! They're much better than airpods max to me. It's more that I do think there is a good gap between them and PX8 for my tastes, still, at their present pricing of 250-280 theyre great value imo.

I've got the black pair. That's a shame about the sound, I guess of course they're tuned for the pads. Id really like to have leather pads on them :/

Oct 18, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #2,166 of 2,191
^ Yes, the stiff wall of the leather pads seems to mess up the tuning of the PX7 S2.

Perhaps softer lambskin might be better suited.

I also wonder if the cream pads are made of a different material than the black version on the PX7 S2.

BTW, the Sony XM 5 have very thin & soft pads, IMO.

Oct 18, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #2,167 of 2,191
^ Yes, the stiff wall of the leather pads seems to mess up the tuning of the PX7 S2.

Perhaps softer lambskin might be better suited.

I also wonder if the cream pads are made of a different material than the black version on the PX7 S2.

Tried the Sony and the sound was poor for my tastes, especially compared to the B&Ws. It could be a different material, I do find it irritating, ill have to try new pads or sell these.

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #2,168 of 2,191
S2 cream or black - no difference in materials.
Sony's pads go deeper inside the housing, so the overall thickness is almost identical to B&W.
I do find it irritating, ill have to try new pads or sell these.
There is an option of crafting custom pads for px7s2 utilizing any material - real leather, alcantara, different foams, etc.(pm me in needed)

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #2,170 of 2,191

Had the same experience also, Its that lush soft bouncy pleather on those PX7 S2s they sort of hug your ears and half your face. They grip and hold on better too.

But I have to admit the PX8s with that nappa pads were heaven after a 2 weeks daily use, first few days it was tough but afterwards it got softer so the PX8s became the most comfortable headphones I had ever put on my head and ears and the bonus was not as much heat build up compared to the PX7s2 pads.

I too preferred the Cream color PX7s2s, actually prefer the brown/tan colour on the PX8s over my Mclaren PX8s too.

Also hate the Sony XM5 pads, it felt like they spent £5 on the pads they dig really hard into your ears and face its only when you try the PX7s2/PX8s, my Sony XM5s went up for sale the next day lol

Oct 18, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #2,171 of 2,191
^ So you have had both, why was that?
Both hobby and profession)
Yes, but on the outside, the Sony pads are very thin and softer and can dig into your face, for those of us with bigger heads.
You have to own a veeery wide head to make the pads compress that much (to feel the plastic contour pressing against the face). Regular issue is when the earshell is reaching the driver grill inside the pad. But sony(xm5) is not the case, at least not the frequant case, though there is always some individual anatomy involved, I remember the order of 35 mm thick pads, and it was still not enough for the customer.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #2,172 of 2,191
I too preferred the Cream color PX7s2s, actually prefer the brown/tan colour on the PX8s over my Mclaren PX8s too.
Agreed; the tan colorway on both the Px7 S2 and the Px8 is understated and absolutely gorgeous.

1697636390146.jpeg

Oct 27, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #2,174 of 2,191
I'll be picking up my px7s2e today. I have owned the px7s2 and px8 before. Loved the px7s2 for its price but the px8 left me disappointed costing twice as much and delivering 10 percent more soundquality if that at all. Saw a Reddit post saying the new 7 has more clarity, a bit less bass plus a wider soundstage compared to the px8.

Oct 27, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #2,175 of 2,191
I'll be picking up my px7s2e today. I have owned the px7s2 and px8 before. Loved the px7s2 for its price but the px8 left me disappointed costing twice as much and delivering 10 percent more soundquality if that at all. Saw a Reddit post saying the new 7 has more clarity, a bit less bass plus a wider soundstage compared to the px8.

Would be intrigued to know the difference also, I compared px7s2 and Px8 myself and cost wise agree it did not feel it was worth the price and cost difference especially since the PX7s2s hit £200 (special offer in UK) and the PX8s were costing £600.

I actually liked a few things better on the PX7s2s, felt they were easier to drive at lower volumes, vocals were a bit more up front and louder and better sound stage.

I found the Px8s however did offer better clarity in detail overall especially instruments, it had a better layering of sound so instruments felt they were coming from a more natural position then the px7s2s.

The comfort though was amazing on the px8s, those nappa pads made it the most comfortable headphones I put on my head and I could use them for hours while on the px7s2s had to take regular ear breaks since my ears got sweaty and hot with the px8s nappa pads no such issues.

Imo the PX7s2s should be £199, PX7s2es £299, Px8s £399, but i'll let my wallet keep dreaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back