Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Sep 20, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #2,071 of 2,191
But do the pre-order start tomorrow for all retailers? Here in my country ( norway ),its only on retailer who sells bowers & wilkins products.
Going to start a new thread for the PX8. I don't usually start new threads because they never gain any traction but I don't see one created yet, so...lol.

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #2,072 of 2,191
In the onoff magazine of information about the audiophile world in Spain - Europe, they already put the image of the B&W PX8 model in two colors. In case you are interested. the estimated price is €599. My contact in Spain is Novomusica.com and he told me that it was worth waiting to evaluate the differences with respect to the PX7 S2.
img.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #2,073 of 2,191
Larger dynamic transducers, more premium materials (leather, alcantara) and possibly improved audio codecs... we'll wait to see what the manufacturer says

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #2,076 of 2,191

Attachments

• Mematic_20220920_184023.jpg
    Mematic_20220920_184023.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Mematic_20220920_183949.jpg
    Mematic_20220920_183949.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 0
Sep 21, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #2,077 of 2,191
Sep 24, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #2,078 of 2,191
So it looks like someone on Twitter has apparently found pics of the B&W PX8, as the top of the headband is (p)leather, whereas the B&W PX7 S2 top of the headband is cloth:

https://mobile.twitter.com/wouterdb92/status/1569355963353686016

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/bowers-and-wilkins-px7-s2-review/

Here is the source for the Twitter feed above:

https://electric.garden/b-w-group-2acix/wireless-headphones-px8

Here, we do have FCC pictures of the PX8 and PX7 S2, which do show some other possible subtile differences, like the possible extra depth of the PX8 ear cups, but that is it, so we will have to wait until someone uncovers the sonic and technical differences between those two models will have between each other. I know that this post sounds monotonous from the last few posts that others have said, but that monotony just further projects my suspicions on whether or not the PX8 differences are worth the price tag. Of course, that is just me. :)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #2,079 of 2,191
Alright, I installed the lambskin pads from Alibaba on the Carbon, and initial impression is that they are quite a bit more comfortable than the stock pads. The opening is only ever so slightly larger (haven't taken measurements yet), but the pad surface area that sits on your face is larger, thus distributing the clamping force across a larger surface area, minimizing the effect of any clamping force. The pads are also a bit thicker, putting the drivers a bit farther away from your ears (my ears are less likely to touch the drivers now). I won't know for sure until I wear them for an extended period for comfort, but initial impression is great. SQ seems about the same as stock pads.

I did wear the Carbon with stock pads for almost 7hrs straight a couple days ago on a long flight and it was fine. Overall now leaning towards sending back the QC45 and keeping the Carbons.

Will keep an eye on the PX8, but most likely my search for a new pair of ANC headphones is over with the Carbons and these non-stock pads.

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #2,080 of 2,191
Alright, I installed the lambskin pads from Alibaba on the Carbon, and initial impression is that they are quite a bit more comfortable than the stock pads. The opening is only ever so slightly larger (haven't taken measurements yet), but the pad surface area that sits on your face is larger, thus distributing the clamping force across a larger surface area, minimizing the effect of any clamping force. The pads are also a bit thicker, putting the drivers a bit farther away from your ears (my ears are less likely to touch the drivers now). I won't know for sure until I wear them for an extended period for comfort, but initial impression is great. SQ seems about the same as stock pads.

I did wear the Carbon with stock pads for almost 7hrs straight a couple days ago on a long flight and it was fine. Overall now leaning towards sending back the QC45 and keeping the Carbons.

Will keep an eye on the PX8, but most likely my search for a new pair of ANC headphones is over with the Carbons and these non-stock pads.
They're really sweet aren't they? Glad you got them

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #2,083 of 2,191
Aby sign for Android?
It was just an app update. You can find it in the Google Play store for Android. Not a firmware update. Was to update for compatibility with the Px8 that was released yesterday and added Deezer, Tidal, and Qobuz to the app. Not sure why anyone would choose to stream through the B&W app on their phone but I guess they thought that would be useful to someone. Reminds me of the sound machine they built into the PI7 app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220929-082611_Music  Bowers & Wilkins.jpg
    Screenshot_20220929-082611_Music Bowers & Wilkins.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #2,084 of 2,191
I demoed the Px7 S2 at home for one day, here are my impressions in relation to my PX7:

- Worse ergonomics for me - the placement of the joint between the headband and cup in a higher position (vs. PX7 - middle) combined with narrower headband arc is unfortunate because this generates more pressure above the ear than below the ear - feels unbalanced / not secure especially when walking. I think I saw someone else mentioning this aspect.

- Smaller pads, my ear touches the upper inner wall, the return to a more rectangular shape is a mistake, oval/larger PX7 pads/cups = much better.

So, for me all the comfort benefits of softer pads/headband/less clamping are denied by the two points above.

- The rounded/bulged play/pause button on the PX7 is easier to find by touch than the new ridged button on the S2.

- Laggy / buggy wear sensor on the S2, it takes 2-3 seconds to pause when headphones taken off. PX7 - much more responsive.

- Fewer ANC presets - low/high settings are gone, only "auto" now, which is supposed to be better at determining the amount of ANC needed, but I still liked the manual settings better because I only used "low" for my needs.

- Long press on function button for "Ambient Pass-through" is gone :frowning2: . On the PX7 you could set a lower customizable volume level and engage external mics in one step - long press. On the S2 you need to pause the playback with one button and cycle through ANC/OFF/Passthrough with the other button. Really stupid to have this "quick attention" function as is in PX7 removed from the S2...

- Vocal prompts are gone / only beep prompts.

- Much narrower sound stage, sounds more closed-in, less sparkle, less dynamics, less articulation, woolly slow bass although is less in quantity. Here I might be biased / my ear tuned to original PX7, but still the narrower sound stage is very obvious.

All in all a step down for me, the only single point that S2 might win is that they could be regarded as more visually pleasing, although I still like the sturdier more industrial look of the original PX7, with the carbon fibre composite arms. So I'll keep my space gray PX7 for now, the PX8 also makes no sense for me because the same physical form as S2 / same ergonomics problems.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #2,085 of 2,191
I demoed the Px7 S2 home for one day, here are my impressions in relation to my PX7:

- Worse ergonomics for me - the placement of the joint between the headband and cup in a higher position (vs. PX7 - middle) combined with narrower headband arc is unfortunate because this generates more pressure above the ear than below the ear - feels unbalanced / not secure especially when walking. I think I saw someone else mentioning this aspect.

- Smaller pads, my ear touches the upper inner wall, the return to a more rectangular shape is a mistake, oval/larger PX7 pads/cups = much better.

So, for me all the comfort benefits of softer pads/headband/less clamping are denied by the two points above.

- The rounded/bulged play/pause button on the PX7 is easier to find by touch than the new ridged button on the S2.

- Laggy / buggy wear sensor on the S2, it takes 2-3 seconds to pause when headphones taken off. PX7 - much more responsive.

- Fewer ANC presets - low/high settings are gone, only "auto" now, which is supposed to be better at determining the amount of ANC needed, but I still liked the manual settings better because I only used "low" for my needs.

- Long press on function button for "Ambient Pass-through" is gone :frowning2: . On the PX7 you could set a lower customizable volume level and engage external mics in one step - long press. On the S2 you need to pause the playback with one button and cycle through ANC/OFF/Passthrough with the other button. Really stupid to have this "quick attention" function as is in PX7 removed from the S2...

- Vocal prompts are gone / only beep prompts.

- Much narrower sound stage, sounds more closed-in, less sparkle, less dynamics, less articulation, woolly slow bass although is less in quantity. Here I might be biased / my ear tuned to original PX7, but still the narrower sound stage is very obvious.

All in all a step down for me, the only single point that S2 might win is that they could be regarded as more visually pleasing, although I still like the sturdier more industrial look of the original PX7, with the carbon fibre composite arms. So I'll keep my space gray PX7 for now, the PX8 also makes no sense for me because the same physical form as S2 / same ergonomics problems.
Precisely my experience. And the clamping force is definitely uneven because of the position of the joint arm. The original Px7 fits way better, and the sound is excellent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back