Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Apr 18, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #1,411 of 2,199
Well I gave up and got my money back.

My third pair had problems with clicking noises in the right cup as I mentioned earlier in the thread (other 2 had other issues, the second of which I believe was already fix in the app). At first it was when I was walking (every step of my right foot) or turning my head, but after putting pressure on the driver area on the inside that disappeared.... but when I was traveling I got the same noise in the right cup without moving and the ANC on high. Traveling on the bus and the airplane was causing constant clicking noises as the ANC tried to keep up, and was failing miserably (only on the right cup). Being on the bus in particular was bad when traveling over bumps in the road (click click click).

I contacted B&W directly, and they just instructed the reseller who I bought them from to offer me a refund. Not another trade, just a refund. Seriously What? I think the seller was sick of my asking for replacements, but I know it was also B&W because they sent me an email that the reseller would offer me an option.

These things are lemons. I mean maybe they fix this stuff in firmware, or later from the factory, but this is a joke. There is no way a 400 euro ANC headphone should make constant clicking noises either when moving or using the noise canceling.

Sadly there is no other pair out there I want... I need something that handles multiple devices well (I liked that in the app), and something that handles low latency. I guess the M3's are an option but I am not thrilled by the ANC or the battery life.

For the rest of you with this clicking problem... return them until B&W fixes their crap.

no clicking problem here....excellent headphones and can’t fault them

Apr 18, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #1,412 of 2,199
Well I gave up and got my money back.

My third pair had problems with clicking noises in the right cup as I mentioned earlier in the thread (other 2 had other issues, the second of which I believe was already fix in the app). At first it was when I was walking (every step of my right foot) or turning my head, but after putting pressure on the driver area on the inside that disappeared.... but when I was traveling I got the same noise in the right cup without moving and the ANC on high. Traveling on the bus and the airplane was causing constant clicking noises as the ANC tried to keep up, and was failing miserably (only on the right cup). Being on the bus in particular was bad when traveling over bumps in the road (click click click).

I contacted B&W directly, and they just instructed the reseller who I bought them from to offer me a refund. Not another trade, just a refund. Seriously What? I think the seller was sick of my asking for replacements, but I know it was also B&W because they sent me an email that the reseller would offer me an option.

These things are lemons. I mean maybe they fix this stuff in firmware, or later from the factory, but this is a joke. There is no way a 400 euro ANC headphone should make constant clicking noises either when moving or using the noise canceling.

Sadly there is no other pair out there I want... I need something that handles multiple devices well (I liked that in the app), and something that handles low latency. I guess the M3's are an option but I am not thrilled by the ANC or the battery life.

For the rest of you with this clicking problem... return them until B&W fixes their crap.
I have the same clicking problem when walking. I always blamed my bluetooth dongle not the PX7, because I didn't notice the clicks when I was connected to my Pixel 4 phone. I will investigate more about this, to check if its really the PX7 or the other part.

Apr 18, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,413 of 2,199
3 pair defective is an extraordinary happening. I have trouble with my connections often these days with so many people home vampiring bandwidth. I turn my LG V30 wireless off and problem solved. Maybe your issue could be something related?
There was a clicking problem in the early builds, specifically when you moved your head from side to side. Apparently, there was a loose wire or something similar that was impacting the driver housing. I had that issue with my first 2 pairs in November 2019 (Silver purchased from Amazon and Space Grey bought at Best Buy). Given the issue, I hung up the pursuit of them until I repurchased them in February 2020 after reading somewhere about the clicks + subsequent correction and I have no problems with this pair.

1587228265377.png

1587228236244.png

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,414 of 2,199
There was a clicking problem in the early builds, specifically when you moved your head from side to side. Apparently, there was a loose wire or something similar that was impacting the driver housing. I had that issue with my first 2 pairs in November 2019 (Silver purchased from Amazon and Space Grey bought at Best Buy). Given the issue, I hung up the pursuit of them until I repurchased them in February 2020 after reading somewhere about the clicks + subsequent correction and I have no problems with this pair.

1587228265377.png
1587228236244.png
I purchased mine 24th January

Apr 18, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #1,415 of 2,199

I order mines directly from B&W in February 2020.

Apr 19, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #1,416 of 2,199

1587228265377.png
1587228236244.png
Makes sense. Didnt know that. Mine have a helluva time staying connected. Annoying.

Apr 19, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,417 of 2,199
Been a couple of days of days and it's been amazing so far. Surprisingly, I find the comfort pretty decent. Yesterday I slept wearing it on inadvertantly and it was still intact when I woke up, with no pain or strains on the ear, jaws or head.

Headphones have a good soundstage, extremely wide and probably will be good for use when watching movies or TV series. If I had to knitpick, it would probably be bluetooth. No lags for 7-8 meters but then the connection starts flickering, especially if you go past a few walls. (Happened when I was in the backyard and the phone was in the first floor). No button issues, and ANC is very good and isolates most of the sound (will have to try on busy markets when the lockdown opens). Sound isn't altered with any of the ANC levels. A gripe (which I knew before) is the lack of ambient mode with the music still playing. I mean what's the point of having it if it cannot be on always with songs playing?

Bought the silver version (I like it more) for €300 from an official B&W retailer based in Europe.

Apr 19, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #1,418 of 2,199
It's official. I've the clicking problem. If I disable ANC, I don't have it. If i enable. It clicks all over the place when I walk, if I'm still it clicks some times.
I bought mine 10/02/2019 fro B&W. Guess I will wait this COVID-19 thing so I can return them.

*edit:* even with ANC disabled I've clicks. Less but still happens, time to time.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #1,419 of 2,199
Understood. And that is too bad. I used cc points to get mine for free. They cut out all the time. My movie and music streams also buffer constantly. Doesnt happen with my wired units. The SQ is good but not really close to as good as my Grado or Periodic Audio iems. Will sell if I can. Just cant endure the constant issues.

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,420 of 2,199
Understood. And that is too bad. I used cc points to get mine for free. They cut out all the time. My movie and music streams also buffer constantly. Doesnt happen with my wired units. The SQ is good but not really close to as good as my Grado or Periodic Audio iems. Will sell if I can. Just cant endure the constant issues.
What do the headphones have to do with movie and music buffering? That doesn't sound like something that's related to the headphones and could be an issue with your device. Have you tried the headphones on another device?

Apr 22, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #1,422 of 2,199
Been a couple of days of days and it's been amazing so far. Surprisingly, I find the comfort pretty decent. Yesterday I slept wearing it on inadvertantly and it was still intact when I woke up, with no pain or strains on the ear, jaws or head.

Headphones have a good soundstage, extremely wide and probably will be good for use when watching movies or TV series. If I had to knitpick, it would probably be bluetooth. No lags for 7-8 meters but then the connection starts flickering, especially if you go past a few walls. (Happened when I was in the backyard and the phone was in the first floor). No button issues, and ANC is very good and isolates most of the sound (will have to try on busy markets when the lockdown opens). Sound isn't altered with any of the ANC levels. A gripe (which I knew before) is the lack of ambient mode with the music still playing. I mean what's the point of having it if it cannot be on always with songs playing?

Bought the silver version (I like it more) for €300 from an official B&W retailer based in Europe.

Where and when did you buy them?

Thanks.

Apr 24, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,423 of 2,199
Kinda random question for folks. Can anyone recommend a quality USB C to USB C cable for these headphones?

These sound terrific when cabled that way and I appreciate that they charge at the same time. I'm using the standard Apple cable which is fine, but a little too firm to be convenient compared to nicely woven aux cables. I've also tried the woven Anker one which has a nice texture but is still pretty firm and kinda heavy. Just curious if anyone's found a high-quality lightweight option.

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #1,424 of 2,199
Hi everyone. I’ve had the PX7s for a couple of months now and for various reasons I just can’t be 100 percent happy, although thats sometimes the fault of the apps I’m using.
Firstly I have to say the battery life is amazing. They last so long in one charge
I’m using an iPhone XS Max with a dragonfly black USB sac plugged into the iPhone lightning to
These are my minor niggles-
Firstly, no EQ within the B&W app.As much as I want to enjoy a flat no EQd sound, I just can’t. I don’t know whether it’s because I’ve just grown up with V curves in my 44 years, but I always end up adding a bit of top and bottom and turning down the mids. Just what I prefer and I cat get out of it.
My preference for listening is Tidal as I try to avoid compressed music where I can and there is no EQ in the tidal app. I’ve tried tidal through the Boom app as there is an eq in this app but it is a bit unreliable and often crashes and according to my dragonfly dac led is only seems to be outputting 44.1 even for some of the 96khz masters.
Can someone confirm for me that when I’m using my Dragonfiy USB dac from my iPhone, does the B&W DAC also get involved as you always need power on the headphones?
I try to stay wired when I can as the Bluetooth codecs from the iPhone as I understand aren’t the best and I do like full res uncompressed where possible, even if my ears cant always tell, my brain knows it...!

Waters have been muddied even further this week as I’ve bought some Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 earbuds and, listening to them right now in bed, they sound absolutely awesome.
I went back to my PX7s and to my ears couldn’t get them to sound as good as these little earbuds. And yes, the Sennheiser app allowed me to apply that bit of V EQ across all my apps.

I’m now questioning whether I need those PX7s if my ears are just better suited to in ear?

I’m just so confused in my quest for the best sound possible on my budget. it seems to take over my life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back