Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Dec 30, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,202 of 2,191
Must have had a faulty set. I can't imagine B&W putting out something that sounded that horrible. The last time I heard a hollow sound like coming through a toilet paper tube was when I was kid playing with toilet paper tubes for the echo...

Dec 30, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #1,203 of 2,191
I was not really satisfied with the PX7 when I bought them two months ago. My feelings have changed since the SW update to version 1.1. I feel that the sound has significantly improved. Sound is much more clear now and it makes a lot of fun to listen to a very wide range of genres. I really enjoyed a two hour listening session last night. I also own the P7W and I do now like the sound of the PX7 more than the P7W.

Has someone made the same experience?
Any additional thoughts from anyone on how the new firmware has potentially impacted the sound? I bought a pair on day 1 but ended up returning, which it hurt to do since I’m a huge B&W fan. Just found the sound varied quite dramatically between tracks, and the mids too recessed for me to reach for them over the PX or P7W, both of which I still own (along with the P9 and P5W - as I said, big fan). Not to mention my set suffered from the oft-reported clicking on the right-hand cup from those early batches.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #1,204 of 2,191
Any additional thoughts from anyone on how the new firmware has potentially impacted the sound? I bought a pair on day 1 but ended up returning, which it hurt to do since I’m a huge B&W fan. Just found the sound varied quite dramatically between tracks, and the mids too recessed for me to reach for them over the PX or P7W, both of which I still own (along with the P9 and P5W - as I said, big fan). Not to mention my set suffered from the oft-reported clicking on the right-hand cup from those early batches.
I second that. Looking to see if anyone notices an appreciable difference in sound after the firmware update. I've been thinking about picking them up again.

I know this is not likely, but it would be AWESOME if someone had measurements pre- and post-firmware update. :D

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #1,205 of 2,191
Just had a dulled, hollow tube sound to me - didn't like the sound signature. probably unwise of me to be so disparaging in their thread, So I won't continue...Each to their own. With respect to the fans..
Unfortunately I tend to agree. I hate the sound of these. They seem as someone said "muddy" to me. I want to love them because everything else is great. I will have to admit that I believe the sound quality issues for me have to do with the music I listen to. If I listen to my daughter's type of music which is mostly pop, they sound great. When I listen to my type of music like Slipknot they sound really dark.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #1,207 of 2,191
Unfortunately I tend to agree. I hate the sound of these. They seem as someone said "muddy" to me. I want to love them because everything else is great. I will have to admit that I believe the sound quality issues for me have to do with the music I listen to. If I listen to my daughter's type of music which is mostly pop, they sound great. When I listen to my type of music like Slipknot they sound really dark.
Is listening to Ariana Grande 24/7 really too much to ask?

Jan 1, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #1,209 of 2,191

Sheryl Crows the story of everything anything Daft Punk show up the weakness in the px7. Bass on these tracks is muddy and overpowering. Fleur East voice sounds strained and fuzzy yet another PX7 oddity. True they do sound good on some tracks the Sonys are better being more consistent the momentum 3s are good as well and the Dalis are sublime best bluetooth cans out there

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,212 of 2,191
Hi,

My experience with ANC headphone and other "features" during the past years:

- ANC can only worsen the audio quality
- ANC can never improve the audio quality
- Bluetooth 5.x has no impact on soundquality but maybe on multipoint access or whatever
- A lot of NON ANC headphones sound much better than the "best" ANC headphone

- If I would like to ENJOY Music I do it at home in noiseless environments
- In my Office during the day it is more than ennough to use normale in-ear without ANC to avoid noise around me
- During flights (I fly 4-5 times a month) ANC headphone is not needed or provided by the airline

The only usecase for me to use ANC might be public transportation (train/bus etc..). But this part of the day is the very shortest.

So why shall I replace my B&W P7/P5 with any of the newer ones or even with the "plastic bombers" from SONY/Bose etc..?

Hi folks,

although I did not want to buy another headphone I tried today the PX7 and bought a silber one... Still my favourite is the P7W but the SQ of the PX7 seems to be very close! I plan to use the PX7 for my way to the office and back (train/bus..) and for flights. At home I will listen to the P7W.

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,213 of 2,191
Hi folks,

although I did not want to buy another headphone I tried today the PX7 and bought a silber one... Still my favourite is the P7W but the SQ of the PX7 seems to be very close! I plan to use the PX7 for my way to the office and back (train/bus..) and for flights. At home I will listen to the P7W.
Glad you found something you like. :)

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #1,214 of 2,191
I just sprang for the PX7's. They are due here Saturday. I started with B&W back in P7 (original). I've tried a TON of headphones since then. My favorite is still the P7W. I got the PX and enjoy them on flights, but they don't sound as good and aren't as comfortable. So with all of the comments in this thread, I'm hoping to be able to sell my P7W and my PX and be down to the P9 and PX7. I do wish the PX7 folded, but what can you do?

Jan 3, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #1,215 of 2,191
Tried the PX7 today but will be sending them back. Still prefer the P7W over them, had complaints about call quality and they don't get as loud as the P7W (which was useful for tracks mastered on the lower side of things, or if I want to crank certain tracks louder). Also seem to be slightly less exciting than them as well.

In the end I went with the MDR-1AM2 for casual/outdoor use and X2HR for home use. Works out cheaper getting both as well. £210 (£90 X2HR + £120 1AM2's) vs £250 PX7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back