Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Dec 18, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #1,141 of 2,191
One more thing, the firmware update on the PX7s is awesome. To those who were frustrated with the fact that you couldn't control the volume while in Transparency Mode, that has been fixed. Also, although B&W doesn't list it, and I doubt they would, I feel the sound has been cleaned up ever so slightly. Maybe it's just placebo or burn in LOL. I don't know, but that's what my ears and mind is telling me.
Nice. That's one thing that I was hoping they'd fix is the ambient mode/volume. Does it also now have a quick ambient on option or do you still need to wait 2 seconds? I assume their initial mindset was ambient mode wouldn't need instant on and if you really needed to hear something, you could lift the earcups (as they advertise this feature).

Intriguing about the sound. Curious if anyone else notices a difference. Might make me try them a 4th time. LOL!

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #1,142 of 2,191
Nice. That's one thing that I was hoping they'd fix is the ambient mode/volume. Does it also now have a quick ambient on option or do you still need to wait 2 seconds? I assume their initial mindset was ambient mode wouldn't need instant on and if you really needed to hear something, you could lift the earcups (as they advertise this feature).

Intriguing about the sound. Curious if anyone else notices a difference. Might make me try them a 4th time. LOL!
LOL. No, there’s no instant ambient on unless you use the app. You do have to hold for 2 seconds. I agree with your point on lifting the ear cup. That’s what I do if I need to hear something really quick.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #1,143 of 2,191
It’s my gut feel too that the sound has changed slightly fir the better after the update, but again it could just been burn in or a placebo effect.
Whilst I agree the M3 is the more consistent performer, the PX7 never fails to engage me more emotionally with the music and I love this. I still think it’s the best all round ANC set on the market right now.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #1,144 of 2,191
Also worth asking: does anyone else have issues with the proximity sensors stopping working after a period of time?
A reboot or reset always fixes it, but it certainly seems a bit hit and miss as to whether music will pause or not. Changing the app setting makes no difference either.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #1,145 of 2,191
Hifi Klubben now have these on sale for €329

Was it only for one day? Can't find it ony the Swedish site at least :/

In the end I returned mine, but reading all the fixed that they did on the last Firmware i'm really conisdering to get these again. Especially for that cheaper price.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #1,147 of 2,191
Dec 18, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #1,148 of 2,191
I just can't get into those cloth-covered cups. Dust magnets, lint magnets, skin/hair oil magnets. P7W still superior. Now, if someone would figure out how to swap the torturous P7W headband with the PX7 (which I assume is more comfortable, because how could it not be?) I would be truly satisfied.

Dec 18, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,149 of 2,191
I just can't get into those cloth-covered cups. Dust magnets, lint magnets, skin/hair oil magnets. P7W still superior. Now, if someone would figure out how to swap the torturous P7W headband with the PX7 (which I assume is more comfortable, because how could it not be?) I would be truly satisfied.
Umh, nope, the PX is very painful compared to the P7W, at least with regards to pressure on and around the ears. I owned the P7W and while it wasn't the most comfortable headphone it was certainly wearable whereas the PX was intolerable and I had to return it.

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #1,150 of 2,191
It’s my gut feel too that the sound has changed slightly fir the better after the update, but again it could just been burn in or a placebo effect.
Whilst I agree the M3 is the more consistent performer, the PX7 never fails to engage me more emotionally with the music and I love this. I still think it’s the best all round ANC set on the market right now.
I definitely agree. I’ve been going back and listening to some of the tracks in my library where I noticed some inconsistencies in the highs and I swear they sound a little cleaner to me now. I’m still of the mind that it’s in my head LOL

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #1,151 of 2,191
Umh, nope, the PX is very painful compared to the P7W, at least with regards to pressure on and around the ears. I owned the P7W and while it wasn't the most comfortable headphone it was certainly wearable whereas the PX was intolerable and I had to return it.

Yeah, I said replace the P7W headband with the PX7 headband, not the PX headband.

Dec 18, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #1,152 of 2,191
Did you try the PX that came in the hardcase? The headband padding is softer and the earpads seem to have a bit wider footprint. That being said, they're not comfort kings, but they are no longer intolerable for me. Plus, being on sale for $229 helps.

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #1,153 of 2,191
Yeah, I said replace the P7W headband with the PX7 headband, not the PX headband.
My bad, guess I should read more carefully next time.

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #1,154 of 2,191
Did you try the PX that came in the hardcase? The headband padding is softer and the earpads seem to have a bit wider footprint. That being said, they're not comfort kings, but they are no longer intolerable for me. Plus, being on sale for $229 helps.
Not sure, I bought them when they first came out. It wasn't the materials, it was the clamping force, just too much on the ears, like way too much. I have always assumed that in order to keep the tuning that B&W had to ensure the tight seal, but clearly they over did it. Yes, at $229 that would be a great price no doubt.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #1,155 of 2,191
Also worth asking: does anyone else have issues with the proximity sensors stopping working after a period of time?
A reboot or reset always fixes it, but it certainly seems a bit hit and miss as to whether music will pause or not. Changing the app setting makes no difference either.

Yes my very first unit of PX7 had this problem , but the 2nd unit I got doesn't seem to have this at least it is working consistently. I thought that maybe some respiration block the sensor, or I could be wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back