Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Dec 16, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #1,114 of 2,191
From the update notes on the iOS app it looks like a firmware update is imminent for the PX7's

Will be interesting what else they change apart from the new soundscapes feature and revamped connections manager.

Have just updated the app and my PX7 to 1.1. The soundscapes is an interesting addition but really love the ability to select a default device to connect to on power on. That’s a big deal.
Not sure yet whether there are any sound signature changes...

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #1,115 of 2,191
Seems like the following issues have been resolved:

1) Click sound on iOS volume adjustment.
2) The headphones now remember your last ANC setting.

That said I had a stuttering tantrum listening to some music on iOS for the first time today. Hopefully an isolated case.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,116 of 2,191
Have just updated the app and my PX7 to 1.1. The soundscapes is an interesting addition but really love the ability to select a default device to connect to on power on. That’s a big deal.
Not sure yet whether there are any sound signature changes...
What exactly is the soundscapes addition? I returned mine, so I obviously can't update them.

Did they add an EQ? The 10k spike just bothered me, so I decided to go back to the original PX, which now comes with a nice hard case similar to the PX7. They also seem to be a bit more comfortable than I originally remember.

Dec 16, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #1,117 of 2,191
What exactly is the soundscapes addition? I returned mine, so I obviously can't update them.

Did they add an EQ? The 10k spike just bothered me, so I decided to go back to the original PX, which now comes with a nice hard case similar to the PX7. They also seem to be a bit more comfortable than I originally remember.
The soundscapes feature is essentially just the ability to play various ambient sound effects for a preset period of time - eg wind, ocean etc. Not something I can see myself using personally.

7C060149-8983-42D9-8C75-0150881D38C5.png

No EQ, but then I’d not expect it. It’s just not Bowers & Wilkins’ style - their view (rightly or wrongly) is that their headphones already have the perfectly tuned signature. I personally kind of like this approach.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,118 of 2,191
The soundscapes feature is essentially just the ability to play various ambient sound effects for a preset period of time - eg wind, ocean etc. Not something I can see myself using personally.

No EQ, but then I’d not expect it. It’s just not Bowers & Wilkins’ style - their view (rightly or wrongly) is that their headphones already have the perfectly tuned signature. I personally kind of like this approach.
I would tend to agree with that statement in general, but it would make more sense for the sake of consistency if the P7W and PX were tuned similarly to the PX7. I still have my P7W and now the "revised" PX w/ hardcase, which are different from one another and both different from the PX7.

Some tracks I enjoyed on the PX7, but a lot of rock/metal tracks just got fatiguing for me, whereas on the P7W and PX they do not. There's also the veil in the upper mids/low treble that seemed to suck out some of the presence.

That being said, I think the PX7 are an overall good headphone and have the potential to be great with simple tweaks that can be accomplished via firmware update (instant ambient on, improve SQ, ambient on with music volume unchanged, sidetone option for calls, etc.).

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #1,119 of 2,191
I would tend to agree with that statement in general, but it would make more sense for the sake of consistency if the P7W and PX were tuned similarly to the PX7. I still have my P7W and now the "revised" PX w/ hardcase, which are different from one another and both different from the PX7.

Some tracks I enjoyed on the PX7, but a lot of rock/metal tracks just got fatiguing for me, whereas on the P7W and PX they do not. There's also the veil in the upper mids/low treble that seemed to suck out some of the presence.

That being said, I think the PX7 are an overall good headphone and have the potential to be great with simple tweaks that can be accomplished via firmware update (instant ambient on, improve SQ, ambient on with music volume unchanged, sidetone option for calls, etc.).
I think the PX7 certainly has more of the B&W house sound and is certainly closer to the P7 than the PX.

I do agree though that the PX7 are a strange beast. Sometimes they sound truly amazing, and at other times really veiled and heavy handed with the bass.
They certainly have an engaging sound almost always and they definitely feel more like ‘live’ music rather than necessarily faithful to a studio recording.

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #1,120 of 2,191
I think the PX7 certainly has more of the B&W house sound and is certainly closer to the P7 than the PX.

I do agree though that the PX7 are a strange beast. Sometimes they sound truly amazing, and at other times really veiled and heavy handed with the bass.
They certainly have an engaging sound almost always and they definitely feel more like ‘live’ music rather than necessarily faithful to a studio recording.
Indeed. I found them to be great for movies and offer that "cinematic" experience, but are "bipolar" if you're frequently crossing genres.

Dec 16, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #1,121 of 2,191

What's the general sound signature of the PX7? Does it lean towards the dark and warm or the cold and bright side of things?

If anyone could compare the sound to that of the Sennheiser Momentum 3.0 Wireless I'd also be grateful...

Dec 16, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #1,122 of 2,191
What's the general sound signature of the PX7? Does it lean towards the dark and warm or the cold and bright side of things?

If anyone could compare the sound to that of the Sennheiser Momentum 3.0 Wireless I'd also be grateful...
It might sound odd but it’s difficult to describe because it’s so varied depending on the genre and source material.
In general though compared to the M3 (I’ve had these twice now), the PX7 has the bigger soundstage, more low-mid bass, but less sub bass than the M3. The M3 is also more forward vocally than the PX7.
Despite its flaws and sometimes appearing quite veiled, there is something foot-tappingly good about the PX7.
Make no mistake, the M3 is superb, but I think the PX7 is the better overall package and with some genres sounds more exciting than the M3.

Dec 16, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #1,123 of 2,191

Alright I’ll give it a shot. I don’t have my Momentum 3s anymore, but here’s what I found when comparing the two. The Momentums are the more neutral of the two. It has a slightly cleaner sound. It’s what I call a modern audiophile sound. Neutral Mids and Highs with a 3db bass boost in the low and mid bass to give a little extra to modern, bass heavy music. It plays well with anything you throw at them. On the other hand, the PX7 is the more exciting headphone to my ears. It’s the livelier of the two. Sounds more like a live concert. To my ears, the PX7 has greater instrument separation. I can pick up background instruments better on the PX7. It has an excellent acoustic performance. I enjoy movies and gaming more on the PX7. The PX7 leans more darker/warm as opposed to bright.

Dec 16, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #1,124 of 2,191
For any PX7 owners who have also owned the P7W, how would you compare the sound of the two? I love the sound of my P7W. A satisfying amount of bass without being overpowering. If not for the lack of comfort I would absolutely love them.

Dec 16, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #1,125 of 2,191
For any PX7 owners who have also owned the P7W, how would you compare the sound of the two? I love the sound of my P7W. A satisfying amount of bass without being overpowering. If not for the lack of comfort I would absolutely love them.

PX7: Better soundstage, more "cinematic". Harsh 10k spike (for me) and subdued presence region (high mid/low treble). Clamping force is still fairly firm.

P7W: Deeper bass, more "exciting", better with multiple genres. Uncomfortable for long periods, ears get hotter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back