Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Dec 12, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #1,096 of 2,191
The comparison between the PX7 and M3 is tough for me. I think that overall, the PX7 is the superior overall wireless ANC headphone. Better ANC, Better passive isolation, Better Battery, Better multi device pairing and connection management with the app, and Better carry case. The only thing that the M3 has on the PX7 is a more consistent SQ and a better mic for calls, although I’m not having any issues with people hearing me on the PX7 since repurchasing them on Friday. The thing with the PX7’s SQ is that at times I love it. I actually prefer it to the M3. It just depends on source. There are times where I feel it’s not natural sounding. The M3 is just great consistently with no matter what I throw at it. Also the PX7 has a volume limiter. Although it gets plenty loud for me at around 75% on my Apple products, I can see people wanting extra volume being disappointed with the limiter. It basically prevents certain frequencies from getting louder on the PX7 past a certain point. It helps if you adjust the volume from the headphones itself because it goes up in smaller increments than on the device.

I’ve actually purchased the M3, returned them for the PX7, repurchased the M3, returned the PX7, and just Friday repurchased the PX7 LOL. Now I’m thinking I’m going to keep the PX7 and that will be final. I have the Dali io-4 for home use which is where I prefer to use the M3. I honestly feel that the PX7 is the better headphone for portability than the M3. In that scenario, the SQ plays less of an important role. I prefer the Dali io-4 for home use. It’s the most neutral wireless headphone I’ve heard. The only thing that can get in the way of the PX7 at this point is my Bose N700 that I have up for sale. If it doesn’t sale, I may just return the PX7 and go with the Bose N700 and Dali io-4 as my dual threat headphones.
Your journey is very much similar to mine. I just went to Best Buy to re-purchase the M3, did an A/B comparison in the car (yes, I was the creepy guy if anyone saw me in the parking lot for 50 mins switching headphones) and ended up returning the PX7 and driving off with the M3. This is the 3rd version of the M3, but the sliders on this one feel firmer than the other 2 I had. They stay in place, and although they are not as smooth as the M2, I can live with them. The hard 10k spike on the PX7 just did me in. They're good with older remastered tracks (classic rock, etc.), but a lot of the newer stuff just sounded harsh, which in turn created an odd characteristic: warm, yet hard downturn with veiled upper mids/low treble, and an icepick 10k spike. Depending on the source, as @Dougeefresh put it, they are bipolar, which is very apparent if you're switching genres throughout the day. The sound on the M3 is consistently good for a wider range of music and the mic is a bit better, which fit my needs in the office more than the PX7. I also wish the PX7 had a sidetone when you're on a call, as I just tend to yell on the phone when I'm wearing them and i get crazy looks when people walk by my office. Maybe it has more to do with my bipolar rotation of headphones on a daily basis.

Fabrication quality of the M3 is great, the overall build quality is still very good (just not as good as the M2), but I love the PX7 build quality and utilization of carbon fiber. Get rid if the 10k spike, update the firmware to include an EQ, add the option for sidetone when on calls, improve the ambient mode to allow for instant on & the ability to play music at normal levels, and improve the mic quality in terms of better vocal refinement (people can hear me fine, but my voice sounds a little muffled). I actually sent an email to B&W on Monday regarding the possibility of addressing these issues via firmware update, but I've not heard back (supposedly a 48 hour turn time, which has now passed).

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #1,097 of 2,191
Your journey is very much similar to mine. I just went to Best Buy to re-purchase the M3, did an A/B comparison in the car (yes, I was the creepy guy if anyone saw me in the parking lot for 50 mins switching headphones) and ended up returning the PX7 and driving off with the M3. This is the 3rd version of the M3, but the sliders on this one feel firmer than the other 2 I had. They stay in place, and although they are not as smooth as the M2, I can live with them. The hard 10k spike on the PX7 just did me in. They're good with older remastered tracks (classic rock, etc.), but a lot of the newer stuff just sounded harsh, which in turn created an odd characteristic: warm, yet hard downturn with veiled upper mids/low treble, and an icepick 10k spike. Depending on the source, as @Dougeefresh put it, they are bipolar, which is very apparent if you're switching genres throughout the day. The sound on the M3 is consistently good for a wider range of music and the mic is a bit better, which fit my needs in the office more than the PX7. I also wish the PX7 had a sidetone when you're on a call, as I just tend to yell on the phone when I'm wearing them and i get crazy looks when people walk by my office. Maybe it has more to do with my bipolar rotation of headphones on a daily basis.

Fabrication quality of the M3 is great, the overall build quality is still very good (just not as good as the M2), but I love the PX7 build quality and utilization of carbon fiber. Get rid if the 10k spike, update the firmware to include an EQ, add the option for sidetone when on calls, improve the ambient mode to allow for instant on & the ability to play music at normal levels, and improve the mic quality in terms of better vocal refinement (people can hear me fine, but my voice sounds a little muffled). I actually sent an email to B&W on Monday regarding the possibility of addressing these issues via firmware update, but I've not heard back (supposedly a 48 hour turn time, which has now Passed).
Haha. Same here. After spending more time with the PX7, they’re growing on me more and more. I think as far as sound goes, they’re right up there with the Dalis and Momentum. Believe it or not, I think the PX7 is the more exciting listen of the 3, but a little less accurate. The Dalis are the most neutral. The Momentums fall in between the Dalis and PX7 to my ears. The Momentums are what I call Modern Audiophile Neutral. Slightly elevated mid and low bass. I understand why it’s probably the safest and most preferable choice of the 3. More exciting than the Dalis, and overall more neutral and cleaner than the PX7. I do think the PX7 has the better instrument separation in comparison to the Momentums. I know I’ve read people say that the PX7 give a false sense of soundstage with the way they’re tuning the highs. That’s just not what my ears hear. I’ve tested many tracks where I focused on instruments that are not upfront in the track. I hear these instruments more clearly on the PX7. I think the PX7’s spaciousness and acoustic performance is excellent contrary to what many have said. I proved this further when using it with my gaming DAC. Picked up more in game sound details than the Momentums.

Of course I’m nitpicking as both are great and top of the class in my opinion. Ultimately for me, it comes down to the fact that I use my headphones with many devices and tend to switch between them throughout the day. At one point I’m using my iPhone and MacBook Pro. Then I may disconnect my iPad and switch over to my Xfinity box to watch TV while my wife is on a call (we both work from home). Then an hour later I may disconnect my Xfinity box and connect to my AppleTV so I can watch a show. Now it’s time to walk my dog. I disconnect the AppleTV only leaving my headphones connected to my iPhone before I take him out so that what I’m listening to doesn’t start skipping when I get too far from the AppleTV. I rambled on to say, there’s just no easy way to do this on the Momentums. They auto connect to two devices no matter what. And the only way to disconnect from one and connect to another is to go into each devices settings and disconnect/connect. This is very tedious on my Xfinity Box. The PX7, just like the Bose N700, allows you to do this from the app without ever needing to go into settings. This is big for me.

Dec 12, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #1,098 of 2,191
Haha. Same here. After spending more time with the PX7, they’re growing on me more and more. I think as far as sound goes, they’re right up there with the Dalis and Momentum. Believe it or not, I think the PX7 is the more exciting listen of the 3, but a little less accurate. The Dalis are the most neutral. The Momentums fall in between the Dalis and PX7 to my ears. The Momentums are what I call Modern Audiophile Neutral. Slightly elevated mid and low bass. I understand why it’s probably the safest and most preferable choice of the 3. More exciting than the Dalis, and overall more neutral and cleaner than the PX7. I do think the PX7 has the better instrument separation in comparison to the Momentums. I know I’ve read people say that the PX7 give a false sense of soundstage with the way they’re tuning the highs. That’s just not what my ears hear. I’ve tested many tracks where I focused on instruments that are not upfront in the track. I hear these instruments more clearly on the PX7. I think the PX7’s spaciousness and acoustic performance is excellent contrary to what many have said. I proved this further when using it with my gaming DAC. Picked up more in game sound details than the Momentums.

Of course I’m nitpicking as both are great and top of the class in my opinion. Ultimately for me, it comes down to the fact that I use my headphones with many devices and tend to switch between them throughout the day. At one point I’m using my iPhone and MacBook Pro. Then I may disconnect my iPad and switch over to my Xfinity box to watch TV while my wife is on a call (we both work from home). Then an hour later I may disconnect my Xfinity box and connect to my AppleTV so I can watch a show. Now it’s time to walk my dog. I disconnect the AppleTV only leaving my headphones connected to my iPhone before I take him out so that what I’m listening to doesn’t start skipping when I get too far from the AppleTV. I rambled on to say, there’s just no easy way to do this on the Momentums. They auto connect to two devices no matter what. And the only way to disconnect from one and connect to another is to go into each devices settings and disconnect/connect. This is very tedious on my Xfinity Box. The PX7, just like the Bose N700, allows you to do this from the app without ever needing to go into settings. This is big for me.

Currently I have M3 and PX not PX7. But the funny thing is I see your opinion be truth to the px against m3 also. And not being 100% accurate on the mids I actually like it because the drums and guitars come to life. The sense of space and instrument separation is also better on PX. Is a shame I can't wear PX with glasses since I lose low frequencies... I love the look of them, the feel of real leather and the fit is perfect for me without glasses. Ah and no one talks but I love the passive noise reduction of the PX and M3 almost doesn't block any... and anc is really poor on M3 even comparing with PX. I'm having a problem with my MacBook Pro 2017 and m3 usb. It appears on usb devices but not in sound settings. PX is straight forward on usb. If anyone tested and can help me on this please?

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #1,099 of 2,191
+1! I don't really need ANC so my P7W sounds better than everything I've tested as well.

Strip out the ANC, throw the P7W drivers into the PX7 enclosures for comfort, sell it as the P7W+ or something. Why can't we just have a fantastic-sounding (aka P7W) and COMFORTABLE set of wireless cans without the ANC nonsense? Why has ANC (with its inherent detriment to sound quality) suddenly become a must-have feature in every single new set of headphones? What if I want to listen to music wirelessly when I'm NOT on a plane, train, or walking down a busy street??? Ugh, so aggravating.

The P7W is so, so perfect for me. Sound, build quality, looks. BUT the headband comfort is horrific (how do these uncomfortable designs make it to production???), the non-replaceable battery is worrisome, and long-term longevity of those stainless-steel wire supports is questionable (I believe someone once posted a photo of a box of returned P7W that had broken wire supports). Can't I just have something that sounds as great as the P7W, with a build quality that will last decades, without the complexity (and expense) of ANC, and a replaceable battery? That's all I want. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #1,100 of 2,191
Strip out the ANC, throw the P7W drivers into the PX7 enclosures for comfort, sell it as the P7W+ or something. Why can't we just have a fantastic-sounding (aka P7W) and COMFORTABLE set of wireless cans without the ANC nonsense? Why has ANC (with its inherent detriment to sound quality) suddenly become a must-have feature in every single new set of headphones? What if I want to listen to music wirelessly when I'm NOT on a plane, train, or walking down a busy street??? Ugh, so aggravating.

Actually I just bought a pair of B&O H9 3rd gen and I really like them. Better than all the ANC headphones I've tested. But I still gonna use my (two pairs) P7W's also. :)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #1,101 of 2,191
Actually I just bought a pair of B&O H9 3rd gen and I really like them. Better than all the ANC headphones I've tested. But I still gonna use my (two pairs) P7W's also. :)

If not for the noogie-style headband, I'd buy a half-dozen P7W and store them in an underground bunker. But seriously, that headband is just so infuriatingly bad. Looks amazing, feels like butter in the hand, makes my skull want to scream. Why can't these companies just make minor tweaks to improve an existing excellent product rather than start from scratch again (PX) and again (PX7), never equaling the sound quality of the original???

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,102 of 2,191
Great question. The P7W and PX7 are clearly tuned differently, so the question is why? Was it some kind of market research with a testing group? Was it just an in-house decision? Hard to say. The 10k spike for me is very fatiguing, that coupled with a decent dip in presence region, ultimately led me back to the M3. I like the PX7 and the build quality and for movies they're great, but for long listening sessions, I just couldn't do it.

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,103 of 2,191
The H9 3rd gen is still my favourite out of the current crop too. The clarity and sub bass extension on them is just sublime.

I like the PX7 too but it’s a bit like being front row at a gig - big, bold and pretty lairy, but also hugely entertaining.
The H9 is just more refined and sounds as classy as it looks.

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #1,104 of 2,191
Great question. The P7W and PX7 are clearly tuned differently, so the question is why? Was it some kind of market research with a testing group? Was it just an in-house decision? Hard to say. The 10k spike for me is very fatiguing, that coupled with a decent dip in presence region, ultimately led me back to the M3. I like the PX7 and the build quality and for movies they're great, but for long listening sessions, I just couldn't do it.

It's bizarre that they could make a product that isn't as good in its primary purpose (sound quality) as another product they made two versions prior (and since discontinued).

Maybe we could petition B&W to make a "P7 Classic" with a more robust housing, replaceable battery, and headband they actually test for more than 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #1,109 of 2,191
I have a question for all you guru Audiophiles. Would there be a difference in sounds if I use FLAC files instead of like Spotify Very High sound quality over Aptx (not hd). The reason I ask is my Note 10 does not support Aptx HD, only Aptx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back