Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 27, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #586 of 2,191
ANC is a great upgrade, yes. I only tested them vacuuming in the flat and walking on the street with cars driving alongside, so I didn‘t fly or really commute or something like that. In these situations, however, I found the ANC to be much better than on the PX, although not as good as on the XM3.

Keep us updated on how you get along with them please as I, like you, like the pxs a great deal.

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #587 of 2,191
Keep us updated on how you get along with them please as I, like you, like the pxs a great deal.

Will do! I think I will keep them because they are very versatile, quite comfortable and will probably get even better with time (and software updates).

However, I personally still tend to like the PXs sound signature more. I don't think this will really change, unless they will sound very different in another 30 hours of play time or so (which I doubt). The PXs really became better after 30 or 40 hours though, so let's see :wink:

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #588 of 2,191
Will do! I think I will keep them because they are very versatile, quite comfortable and will probably get even better with time (and software updates).

However, I personally still tend to like the PXs sound signature more. I don't think this will really change, unless they will sound very different in another 30 hours of play time or so (which I doubt). The PXs really became better after 30 or 40 hours though, so let's see :wink:

Completely agree, I noticed they peaked at around 40 / 50hrs or so. Are you planning to keep both ? Not sure I can justify that for myself

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #589 of 2,191
Anyone else having issues getting macOS to play in AAC with these? The first time I connect it seems to play through SBC, but if I disconnect and reconnect it does AAC.

macOS should default to aptX, but you’ll have to enable AAC manually. You can run this command in terminal to do so.

There’s more info here: https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/enable-aptx-aac-bluetooth-audio-codecs-macos/

I prefer AAC on Apple devices, but I don’t think there’s much noticeable difference between the two.

If you have Catalina, AptX is currently not working. At least for a number of users.

Mine also default to SBC on my Macs (one on Catalina, one on Mojave) if they are also connected to my iPhone. To get them to use a different codec I have to disconnect from both devices and then reconnect to the Mac.

I use bluetooth explorer to force AptX use over AAC. It doesn't work on Catalina, which defaults to AAC.

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #590 of 2,191
Completely agree, I noticed they peaked at around 40 / 50hrs or so. Are you planning to keep both ? Not sure I can justify that for myself

For now, I will keep both, yes. But only because I will give the PX to the missus. That way, I can always listen to them when I want to. I like them too much to not keep them in one way or another :)

If I had to only choose one to keep, it would be the PX at the moment just because of the sound signature.

Oct 27, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #591 of 2,191
Mine also default to SBC on my Macs (one on Catalina, one on Mojave) if they are also connected to my iPhone. To get them to use a different codec I have to disconnect from both devices and then reconnect to the Mac.

I use bluetooth explorer to force AptX use over AAC. It doesn't work on Catalina, which defaults to AAC.

Interesting...glad I'm not the only one with this bug. But I only have to disconnect and reconnect the mac for it to work. I think I also hear it doing SBC on the iPhone if both are connected, but it's harder to verify this.

Honestly, it's kind of frustrating how many bugs there are with this at the beginning. I guess it's to be expected from a company whose expertise is audio rather than electronics like Sony. Hopefully they patch them soon (unless it's intentional and not a bug...)

Oct 27, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #592 of 2,191
I changed my mind and I would like to send you PX7 tomorrow. I devoted almost the whole weekend and a few days earlier to compare M3 with PX7 and yet the M3 sounds better to me. BUT,
I also ordered Dali IO6, so I will check them and compare them to M3 and make the final decision ...

Maybe someone has already compared IO6, PX7 and M3? Or any of them?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #593 of 2,191
I changed my mind and I would like to send you PX7 tomorrow. I devoted almost the whole weekend and a few days earlier to compare M3 with PX7 and yet the M3 sounds better to me. BUT,
I also ordered Dali IO6, so I will check them and compare them to M3 and make the final decision ...

Maybe someone has already compared IO6, PX7 and M3? Or any of them?

There have been comparisions over at the Dali Headphones thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dali-headphones.914701/

In short, the IO-6 seems to be **** on every ANC set in exisence in terms of SQ - with the one caveat being that the bass is extremely neutral. There are probably more well rounded sets in terms of features and convenience, but anyone looking for a truly audiophile, neutral set of ANC cans are bang in luck here.

Oct 27, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #595 of 2,191
There have been comparisions over at the Dali Headphones thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dali-headphones.914701/

In short, the IO-6 seems to be **** on every ANC set in exisence in terms of SQ - with the one caveat being that the bass is extremely neutral. There are probably more well rounded sets in terms of features and convenience, but anyone looking for a truly audiophile, neutral set of ANC cans are bang in luck here.
I've actually grown curious about the Dalis myself. The question I would have though, is the bass truly neutral, or is it bass lite? What drives me crazy about these forums sometimes is that the so called audiophiles love to throw out terms like "false bass" or "too much bass that's not tight and accurate", as if there's no such thing as "false bass" in the other direction. According to What Hi-Fi, they prefer the sound of the Momentum 3 and PX7 to the Dali. Taken exactly from the article:

"There’s only one gripe we have with these headphones, but it is significant and does affect the overall sonic performance. We cue up Prince’s funk-heavy Sign ‘O’ the Times on Tidal and, despite an insightful treble and heartfelt vocal, we’re left waiting for that extra dollop of punch and drama through the bass registers – especially when the drums kick in.
It’s as if the Dali’s are holding back slightly, giving us a sound that’s expansive and refined, but isn’t as emotional or zealous as we know it ought to be."

There is such thing as bass lite, or bass that's below neutral. Certain songs are meant to have emotion and excitement, or deep, punchy, heavy bass. If you get an ordinary pair of neutral studio headphones. those songs would still display this. If the Dalis aren't, then they may be bass lite. I would love for Rtings to get their hands on a pair so I could see measurements. And I get it, some people could care less about bass, and prefer a less bassy sound. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that no more than there's anything wrong with people who like a hefty helping of bass. My thing is just because it has less bass doesn't always mean it's accurate or better. I just see the term accurate thrown around too loosely when it comes to headphones that are lean on bass.

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #596 of 2,191
I've said it before, but both the Dali and M3 misses key features, the Dali miss Multi point, personally I switch between my PC and phone a lot of times each day, and the M3 simply got too bad battery life for a pair of premium BT headphones in 2019.

Sure some people might not use more than 1 device and others will think the M3 battery life is just fine (even tho I disagree if we think long term with battery degradation). So unless SQ is a biiiig step above they're simply too lackluster from a technical standpoint in 2019 eyes. Also SQ in these segments is a lot about personal preference, whilst features like multi point, battery life, or software in general are facts.

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #597 of 2,191
I've actually grown curious about the Dalis myself. The question I would have though, is the bass truly neutral, or is it bass lite? What drives me crazy about these forums sometimes is that the so called audiophiles love to throw out terms like "false bass" or "too much bass that's not tight and accurate", as if there's no such thing as "false bass" in the other direction. According to What Hi-Fi, they prefer the sound of the Momentum 3 and PX7 to the Dali. Taken exactly from the article:

"There’s only one gripe we have with these headphones, but it is significant and does affect the overall sonic performance. We cue up Prince’s funk-heavy Sign ‘O’ the Times on Tidal and, despite an insightful treble and heartfelt vocal, we’re left waiting for that extra dollop of punch and drama through the bass registers – especially when the drums kick in.
It’s as if the Dali’s are holding back slightly, giving us a sound that’s expansive and refined, but isn’t as emotional or zealous as we know it ought to be."

There is such thing as bass lite, or bass that's below neutral. Certain songs are meant to have emotion and excitement, or deep, punchy, heavy bass. If you get an ordinary pair of neutral studio headphones. those songs would still display this. If the Dalis aren't, then they may be bass lite. I would love for Rtings to get their hands on a pair so I could see measurements. And I get it, some people could care less about bass, and prefer a less bassy sound. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that no more than there's anything wrong with people who like a hefty helping of bass. My thing is just because it has less bass doesn't always mean it's accurate or better. I just see the term accurate thrown around too loosely when it comes to headphones that are lean on bass.

I completely agree. A good set of speakers don’t sound anemic. They are both accurate and impactful. They sound close to what listening to a live musical performance sounds like. Yet, many “audiophiles” bash good headphones that do this same thing, simply because they don’t measure perfectly flat.

I prefer headphones that follow or are strongly influenced by the Harmon Target Curve, which has a small bass boost. In headphones with good drivers, this tends to give them a fuller, more dynamic sound that more closely approximates the experience of a live musical performance, which is both felt and heard. I like the original PX’s because they are detailed, fairly dynamic, have good tonality, and great soundstage and instrument separation...for a closed pair of wireless ANC headphones. But, they are a bit too “flat” in the bass for my taste.

Lucky for me, my OnePlus 7 Pro has a very good built in system wide EQ, and I use it to bump the lower bass freqs up by a couple of decibels. They sound very good to me with this small bass boost. They’d be perfect, if it weren’t for the fit that is never quite comfortable, and the ANC that kills the sound at it’s higher settings. This is where the PX7 comes into play for me. I’m hoping my local Best Buy gets a demo unit in soon so I can try it for myself.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #598 of 2,191
I like the original PX’s because they are detailed, fairly dynamic, have good tonality, and great soundstage and instrument separation...for a closed pair of wireless ANC headphones. But, they are a bit too “flat” in the bass for my taste.

They sound very good to me with this small bass boost. They’d be perfect, if it weren’t for the fit that is never quite comfortable, and the ANC that kills the sound at it’s higher settings. This is where the PX7 comes into play for me.

I absolutely agree with you here. I think the PX are the best sounding ANC headphones in comparison with everything I have used so far at least. All the characteristics you mentioned I agree with!

Regarding the bass: The PX have great bass as long as they have the perfect fit/seal. If not then the bass immediately gets worse which is indeed a bit annoying. They are not for people who have to wear glasses as well, I think. Also, it's of course true that ANC in everything besides office mode kills the sound.

The "v2" version of the PX (that came with the hard case) also have way softer earcups which greatly improve their wearing comfort.

If only the PX7 had the sound signature of the PX, that would be the ultimate wireless ANC headphones for me personally. Unfortunately that is not the case...

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #599 of 2,191

Wonderful, wonderful post.

I agree with you entirely and the only reason why I haven't blind bought the Dali is because I NEED to see some measurements just to get a fair idea on what kind of sound signature is being produced - because I too suspect that it may be bass-lite. Moreover, as I've stated before in this thread, I am also not ruling out the PX7 and it's 'bloated bass' unless I see some measurements first because the PX7 ticks all those boxes and then some. Truth be told, I'm extra cautious on the bass because I blind bought a 1000XM3 only to be flabbergasted by how bloated the bass was (probably didn't help that I immediately fired up indie and post-punk tracks)). What does give me hope is that you've already confirmed that the PX7 bass is nowhere near as bloated as the XM3 or M3s,

I'm not really one for a 100% neutral signature and I do actually enjoy a slight boost on the bass - after all, the HD650 is my favorite overall sound signature of all time and a lot of people (rightfully) consider it too have a wooly, slightly boomy mid-bass. But my experience with the XM3's have scarred me so much so that I'd now rather a neutral, perhaps analytical sounding headphone - but most definitely not one which is bass-lite.

I am scouring the web in many different languages every day for a set of measurements on the Dali, and will let you know immediately when I happen to come across them.

I've said it before, but both the Dali and M3 misses key features, the Dali miss Multi point, personally I switch between my PC and phone a lot of times each day, and the M3 simply got too bad battery life for a pair of premium BT headphones in 2019.

Sure some people might not use more than 1 device and others will think the M3 battery life is just fine (even tho I disagree if we think long term with battery degradation). So unless SQ is a biiiig step above they're simply too lackluster from a technical standpoint in 2019 eyes. Also SQ in these segments is a lot about personal preference, whilst features like multi point, battery life, or software in general are facts.

I think we really need to appreciate how well the ANC can market is growing, as well as how the fierce competition within it is giving us products of the highest quality. There are so many options out there, each with their own strengths and weaknesses that appeal to a broad range of people in terms of exactly what they're looking for. And let's be honest here - each and every option on the market does at the very least sound good, or competent - something which was simply imaginable two or three years ago. That's what makes the PX7 so potent, since their SQ is upper-tier along with a best-in-class feature set. Probably the most well-rounded ANC can ever released and it makes me really glad they exist as an option, along with the Senns, Dalis, Bose and Sony's even. And it's only going to get better seeing as how manufacturers like FiiO have announced their entry into the ANC world.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #600 of 2,191

Is it just me or does the Master & Dynamic MW65 have a very similar FR curve to the original PX?

Master-Dynamic-MW65-fr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back