Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 18, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #332 of 2,191
Best Buy Magnolia near me didn’t have them available to try. Guess the only option is blind buying from amazon and returning if I don’t like them enough. Feels bad.

I was just in a Best Buy last night and they had one on display (but none in stock). I got to play with the PX7 for a bit and was surprised at how much more comfortable they are than my PX. I really did not have much interest in upgrading but am now rethinking this.

Oct 18, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #333 of 2,191
Hi friends,

I have the B&W p7w and i'm thinking about upgrading it with anc capabilities. Initially i was looking for something similar but the reduction of bass of the px and, mainly, the impossibility of using them passively without battery (which means that if the battery dies the headphones turn a useless well crafted object) kept me away from it.

Now PX7/PX5 and Dali IO 6 appear on the scenario. Dali´s look terrific, but huge, and i don't want something of this size for the street. I was just deciding to forget the lack of passive mode of the px7 and buy them but now i've seen the Master & Dynamic MW 65 (which were too expensive for me) on sale at the same price. It's funny that I always prefer the smallest and less luxurious model in my choices (never understood the eye-catching factor as a value) and i finish with this big pretentious designs fighting for their place on my head. So, I've read all the thread but i don't remember having found any comparison between px7 vs MW65.
¿Has anyone here heard both and could make a brief comparison?
¿How about size? I'm afraid about px7's size. Mashimashimoomoo has mentioned it's not so dramatic as it seems on the photos. ¿Are they bulkier, more prominent than the P7W? (And compared to MW65?)

Thanks in advance for your answers!

First of all I think the lack of passive playback is overrated. I go around a week without charging with my PX.
Back then I tried the MW65 against the PX among others. If you are concerned with size, stay away. I remember them to be heavy and huge. Also they would jiggle on my head when shaking my head lightly. Soundwise they are not as refined as the PX, soundstage is lacking, ANC is practically not there. I found Sennheiser Momentum 2 and the PX to be way superior, even though I really wanted to like the MW65 due to their awesome looks. Later I tried their on-ear counterpart. At least for size those were great.

I too am concerned with the PX7 being bulkier than the PX. PX is borderline for my head.

Oct 18, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #334 of 2,191
First of all I think the lack of passive playback is overrated. I go around a week without charging with my PX.
Back then I tried the MW65 against the PX among others. If you are concerned with size, stay away. I remember them to be heavy and huge. Also they would jiggle on my head when shaking my head lightly. Soundwise they are not as refined as the PX, soundstage is lacking, ANC is practically not there. I found Sennheiser Momentum 2 and the PX to be way superior, even though I really wanted to like the MW65 due to their awesome looks. Later I tried their on-ear counterpart. At least for size those were great.

I too am concerned with the PX7 being bulkier than the PX. PX is borderline for my head.

The overall profile of the PX7 is smaller, even when on your head, despite the larger ear cups.

Oct 18, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #335 of 2,191
QQ. I am looking to upgrade my P7 to the next generation and I am split between P9 signature and PX7. I understand that the two products ar diferent (one is wired and one is wireless) but is not an inconvenient for me either or because I would use them primarly at the desk and I don't have that much outside noise that I would need the noise cancelation. Also I will not use them for travel/commute even if it sound appealing to have a wireless option. With that in mind I would be interested int the best sounding, comfortable and build version. Could you help me with an opinion? Many thanks in advance

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #336 of 2,191
Anyone here own the Sony 1000XM3s and can weigh in on how they compare to the PX7?

The only comparison online is on YouTube where the user GamingAudiophile made a video and has this update:

It has come to my attention that the PX7 does suffer from sound degradation when the ANC is activated on max. It’s still not as bad as the sound quality hit the PX faces when max ANC is engaged but it’s still a problem nonetheless. Compared to ANC turned off, the sound signature of the PX7 gets a bit warmer sounding and closed in. I can deal with that a bit. However, the big issue I have is at higher volumes there is some sort of dynamic range or volume limiter in effect that hurts some of the fidelity in the music. It happens at all volumes, but it’s more apparent at higher volumes. For example, when I’m listening at a volume level where I want to feel immersed into the music and rock out, the volume on certain frequencies in the music raises and lowers as to not distort the speaker. When I turn off the ANC, this phenomenon doesn’t occur which leads me to believe B&W implemented this to purposely restrain your music from distorting the speaker whilst ANC is active. This doesn’t happen with my Sony WH1000XM3 or Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless when they both have their ANC on max. In terms of sound, the PX7 is now behind both the Momentum’s and Sony’s for me now as a result of this.

I really liked the sound of the BeoPlay H9's but found that there was a big drop in sound quality so if this is the case, it's definitely a bit disheartening for the PX7.

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #337 of 2,191
QQ. I am looking to upgrade my P7 to the next generation and I am split between P9 signature and PX7. I understand that the two products ar diferent (one is wired and one is wireless) but is not an inconvenient for me either or because I would use them primarly at the desk and I don't have that much outside noise that I would need the noise cancelation. Also I will not use them for travel/commute even if it sound appealing to have a wireless option. With that in mind I would be interested int the best sounding, comfortable and build version. Could you help me with an opinion? Many thanks in advance

I own both. The P9 is a special thing, but super dependent on the source. The headphones tend toward warmth and boosted mid-bass. If you pair with a source that does the same thing, it may be a bit much (or exactly your cup of tea). I use the P9 with a DX220 using Amp9, the NuTube amp, and it is excellent. That said, vocals can sometimes sound slightly recessed depending on the mastering of the recording. Comfort can be an issue with the P9 but I found that strategically placed Dekoni Nuggets 100% fix this issue.

The PX7 is a slightly different animal. Mids are more present than on the P9, but retains some of the mid-bass boost (which I personally enjoy). The PX7 lacks some of the sparkle that I find in the P9, as in I don't have that same sense of wow that the P9 often provides. But I must say I've not touched my P9 since getting the PX7 almost two weeks ago. This is probably because I'm still enamored with my new toy. It is for sure the most comfortable headphone B&W have ever made, I've had it on almost all day each day I've had it. Never could do that with the P9.

I'd say in general the P9 is a bit more fatiguing, but excellent sound. I don't know where I'll land on this, but I expect the PX7 is going to become my daily go-to driver with the P9 being my special treat headphone for when I can just sit and critically listen.

Anyone here own the Sony 1000XM3s and can weigh in on how they compare to the PX7?

The only comparison online is on YouTube where the user GamingAudiophile made a video and has this update:

It has come to my attention that the PX7 does suffer from sound degradation when the ANC is activated on max. It’s still not as bad as the sound quality hit the PX faces when max ANC is engaged but it’s still a problem nonetheless. Compared to ANC turned off, the sound signature of the PX7 gets a bit warmer sounding and closed in. I can deal with that a bit. However, the big issue I have is at higher volumes there is some sort of dynamic range or volume limiter in effect that hurts some of the fidelity in the music. It happens at all volumes, but it’s more apparent at higher volumes. For example, when I’m listening at a volume level where I want to feel immersed into the music and rock out, the volume on certain frequencies in the music raises and lowers as to not distort the speaker. When I turn off the ANC, this phenomenon doesn’t occur which leads me to believe B&W implemented this to purposely restrain your music from distorting the speaker whilst ANC is active. This doesn’t happen with my Sony WH1000XM3 or Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless when they both have their ANC on max. In terms of sound, the PX7 is now behind both the Momentum’s and Sony’s for me now as a result of this.

I really liked the sound of the BeoPlay H9's but found that there was a big drop in sound quality so if this is the case, it's definitely a bit disheartening for the PX7.

I think this reviewer has drastically overstated the impact of this. I've had ANC set to auto the past few days, and it makes no announcement when changing levels. I've not noticed changes as the ANC is being adjusted up or down. But in these usage scenarios I'm usually walking around. ANC on high is for a situation in which outside noise is making it difficult to hear detail in your music. Yes there is a marginal hit to SC, but I find it hard to believe this is less ideal than the impact ambient city or flight noise would have on any passive setup. I'm not sure I've heard this scaling dynamic range issue he's speaking of.

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #338 of 2,191
I am finding the ANC a bit unreliable commuting on the underground with ANC on any setting, I am hearing pops and what feels like pressure changes within the cups as the noise of the train increases. Is almost like the ANC is struggling to keep up and is slightly out of sync with the noises it is trying to cancel out? I don't know what it is for sure but it is annoying. Anything that gets in the way of the music is just annoying. This happens with ANC set to low, high or auto and is not just the auto setting changing its levels. It does not happen with ANC off.

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #340 of 2,191
Anyone have both the PX and PX7 ?

I have and love my pxs, lucky to be one of few that seemed to have the correct shaped head for a perfect fit and no comfort issues.

Even with a perfect fit I still noticed the seal was broken slightly when looking down whilst wearing the headphones, with the bass disappearing slightly.

Does the PX7 suffer from this ? As I use these headphones on the move quite often this would be a good reason to upgrade.

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #341 of 2,191
Anyone have both the PX and PX7 ?

I have and love my pxs, lucky to be one of few that seemed to have the correct shaped head for a perfect fit and no comfort issues.

Even with a perfect fit I still noticed the seal was broken slightly when looking down whilst wearing the headphones, with the bass disappearing slightly.

Does the PX7 suffer from this ? As I use these headphones on the move quite often this would be a good reason to upgrade.
PX7 solved the issue.bending or turning your head doesn't break the seal.

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #342 of 2,191
PX7 solved the issue.bending or turning your head doesn't break the seal.

Great, as that's always been a slight gripe with the pxs. So matter how good the fit, and I have a fantastic fit, the weight of the headphones would always shift when moving my head around when busy.

I really like the sound of the pxs, especially the mids and refined bass. Will order a pair of px7s and compare the two over a few weeks.

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #344 of 2,191
I am finding the ANC a bit unreliable commuting on the underground with ANC on any setting, I am hearing pops and what feels like pressure changes within the cups as the noise of the train increases. Is almost like the ANC is struggling to keep up and is slightly out of sync with the noises it is trying to cancel out? I don't know what it is for sure but it is annoying. Anything that gets in the way of the music is just annoying. This happens with ANC set to low, high or auto and is not just the auto setting changing its levels. It does not happen with ANC off.

I'm observing the same - it does a good job in an office environment, but walking down the street or riding the tube introduces a lot of ANC glitches, including the amplification of wind noises that I mentioned before.
Big disappointment on the front compared to my XM2s so I wouldn't consider the PX7s ANC anywhere close to the Sony's.

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #345 of 2,191
I'm observing the same - it does a good job in an office environment, but walking down the street or riding the tube introduces a lot of ANC glitches, including the amplification of wind noises that I mentioned before.
Big disappointment on the front compared to my XM2s so I wouldn't consider the PX7s ANC anywhere close to the Sony's.
hoping this can be fixed with a software update.

The other thing that could do with tweaking is the amount of time you need to hold the button on the left ear cup down to initiate the pass through mode - 2 seconds feels too long. By the time its initiated I've missed the announcement, or have to ask the person to repeat what they are saying. I may as well just remove the headset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back