Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 21, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #421 of 2,202
I ended up ordering the PX7 last week and it arrived today... And I have to say that currently after listening to them for most of the day I am planning on sending them back. The comfort compared to the PX is nice and they do not even feel that hot or sweaty so far despite the fake leather, but I do not really like the sound signature. The bass is over-emphasized compared to the PX as is some of the higher frequencies and those drown out the mid details too much. When I first listened to the original PX I went "oh that is quite nice" and after listening to them more it changed to "that is awesome" and thanks to the sound I can get myself to tolerate the questionable comfort of them, but with these its going in the opposite direction and isn't saved by the comfort.

Overall they do not sound like bad headphones, just the signature to me is more similar to what I find in "consumer friendly" headphones that market shelves are full of.

I noticed that when I walk with them on I occasionally hear some kind of clicking/tapping noise from the right headphone, but I hear it even if I hold the buttons in place so I am not sure if that is the button rattling issue other have reported or something else.

On the positive side I don't have any issues with the build quality, they are smaller than what they looked like in promo pictures and they look & feel nice. The hard case is also good and they take less space when folded in than the PX.

I tested them with a USB AptX transmitter that supports AptX and AptX LL, and they only connect with the basic AptX (no low latency) so it seems that doesn't work. On another trasmitter that supports AptX, AptX LL and AptX HD it selects AptX HD as expected.

I will keep listening them for a few days but so far these have been a disappointment for me.
Were you able to notice any delay? According to early reports of aptx adaptive the "dynamic" low latency mode isnt actually true aptx low latency and can have 50ms to 80ms delay. So my guess would be aptx LL doesnt necessarily have to be the transmitted codec to get lower latency

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #422 of 2,202
Where are you hearing the creaking? I want to make sure I don't miss any other defects before the return window ends. Thanks.

It's from the frame or pads but again, I didn't go looking for noises. If you don't notice it don't worry about it!

I noticed that when I walk with them on I occasionally hear some kind of clicking/tapping noise from the right headphone, but I hear it even if I hold the buttons in place so I am not sure if that is the button rattling issue other have reported or something else.

I also couldn't stop the rattle by holding the buttons, but the sound would intermittently go away after sliding the power switch, I think!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #423 of 2,202
One more observation: When I have two sources connected by bluetooth (I haven't tried wired) I frequently get stuttering on the audio or random disconnections. I've had the same issue with both pairs that I've had. That presumably is a glitch that can be fixed in FW, but for now the work around is to connect to one source only.

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #424 of 2,202
I got my PX7 on Friday and I have Momentum 3 at home. After a few hours I can say that I like the build quality of the M3 more, the materials, leather and metal used. Sound quality is more complicated, because both of them sound great, but I personally like M3 sound much more. Bass that can make your cheeks vibrate, vocals that are more forward and a brighter sound. Certainly the Px7 are more neutral, but the sound itself is more like warm or sometimes muffled. Don't get me wrong, I really want to like PX7, I prefer a much harder case and better battery time and compact size, but for now I have mixed feelings.

This is my opinion exactly 100% in the comparison of px7 and m3 wireless. I have too the p7 wireless. I have px7 3 days and having about 20 hours of playing and m3 wireless about 3 weeks.

The number one in my opinion is p7 wireless, the number 2 is very close the m3, and after is px7. But I don't liking px7 sound really because the mids is sounds wrong, is muffled and is not having correct linear sound, is scooped in one or more parts of this frequency. The highs is a peak somewhere and is fake clarity and is also veiled generally.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #425 of 2,202
Were you able to notice any delay? According to early reports of aptx adaptive the "dynamic" low latency mode isnt actually true aptx low latency and can have 50ms to 80ms delay. So my guess would be aptx LL doesnt necessarily have to be the transmitted codec to get lower latency

I don't really notice it with either headphone, but I did a quick and dirty latency test with audacity (created a tone, held the headphone to a microphone while recording from it & playing back the tone). I compared connecting both headphones with USB-C and with my two Reiyin AptX transmitter dongles (CSR8670 & CSR8675). Results look like this:

px_px7_latency.png

"AptX" there is the Reiyin CSR8670 which supports AptX & AptX LL (but connects with just base AptX into both headphones) and "AptX HD" is the Reiyin CSR8675 which also supports AptX HD and both headphones connect with that.

The extra latency from AptX in all of them seems pretty much the same, repeating one test a few times I got variability of around 10ms.

Note this was a very quick and non-scientific test so do not take it as absolute truth. I have also done the same test with Plantronics Backbeat Pro which supports AptX LL and I got a noticeably lower result there, but I unfortunately do not have the results of that saved or remember exactly how big the difference was.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #426 of 2,202
This is my opinion exactly 100% in the comparison of px7 and m3 wireless. I have too the p7 wireless. I have px7 3 days and having about 20 hours of playing and m3 wireless about 3 weeks.

The number one in my opinion is p7 wireless, the number 2 is very close the m3, and after is px7. But I don't liking px7 sound really because the mids is sounds wrong, is muffled and is not having correct linear sound, is scooped in one or more parts of this frequency. The highs is a peak somewhere and is fake clarity and is also veiled generally.
You would think that after 4 years they would be able to make an headphone that sounds at least as good as the p7 wireless but apparently not as the last 2 px and px7 are for me at least not even close. I’ll take my p7w minus anc than either of the other 2 but it’s such a shame, I’d been looking forward to these for the past month since there preview in London

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #427 of 2,202
Personally I love how these sound so far (but to be fair, having only listened to my friend's P7W once and trying the PX in best buy for 2 minutes). But I am coming from the WH1000XM2 and more recently the wired M40X, so I'd understand being disappointed after listening to the other headphones in this price range, but I think the other pros of these (battery life, USB-C, comfort (though tbh it still is a bit tight for me), ANC, and the case compared to the Sennheiser) outweigh any minor quibbles with sound quality I might have. Of course though this is an audiophile forum so those quibbles are important, but my personally noob-y ears don't hear anything sounding sooo "scooped out", so maybe it would only be obvious in comparison to other cans.

My only major issue is the wear sensor thing, which one of the recent reviews on Amazon seems to also have. I emailed B&W about this though so they are at least aware of it if it is software-remediable.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #428 of 2,202
You would think that after 4 years they would be able to make an headphone that sounds at least as good as the p7 wireless but apparently not as the last 2 px and px7 are for me at least not even close. I’ll take my p7w minus anc than either of the other 2 but it’s such a shame, I’d been looking forward to these for the past month since there preview in London

Yes, I think is true what you saying. For me the m3 wireless is very good for this:
1 Very very good sound quality, and is really close of the p7 wireless sound. I think other people prefer maybe m3 than p7 wireless because m3 is really have good sound.
2 Transparency mode is realistic sound in m3 and you can deciding music off or on in this mode.
3 Leather pads. This very important for me because is heat my ears with artificial leather and if is warm or hot weather, then is sweat in my ears after 20 minutes. With the leather I never was have this problem with p7 wireless or now with m3 (or with H9 3 gen when I testing it before
4 Construction is better than px7, px, and bose 700. Only the h9 3 gen is better construction and the design but h9 3 gen is not sound correct. Also the m3 wireless is looking better in the head, the px7 is looks very big and I think is looks little ugly and strange.

The negative of the m3 wireless in my opinion:
1 The battery is not long time, but is good for me.
2 The case is very bad. This is big surprise for me but in Amazon is good cases for m3, but this is bad for Seenheiser not thinking of good case for premium headphone with anc.
3 A button special for turning off and on, folding for turn off isn't always practical. But in user manual it saying hold play/pause button 5 seconds and you can having headphone off in open position (not folding).

I forget saying I trying b&w px long time ago and I returning very quickly because the sound for me is very bad, and the fitting isn't good, and the construction looking very good but looking very close wasn't really good.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #429 of 2,202
I don't really notice it with either headphone, but I did a quick and dirty latency test with audacity (created a tone, held the headphone to a microphone while recording from it & playing back the tone). I compared connecting both headphones with USB-C and with my two Reiyin AptX transmitter dongles (CSR8670 & CSR8675). Results look like this:

px_px7_latency.png

"AptX" there is the Reiyin CSR8670 which supports AptX & AptX LL (but connects with just base AptX into both headphones) and "AptX HD" is the Reiyin CSR8675 which also supports AptX HD and both headphones connect with that.

The extra latency from AptX in all of them seems pretty much the same, repeating one test a few times I got variability of around 10ms.

Note this was a very quick and non-scientific test so do not take it as absolute truth. I have also done the same test with Plantronics Backbeat Pro which supports AptX LL and I got a noticeably lower result there, but I unfortunately do not have the results of that saved or remember exactly how big the difference was.
Wow, appreciate the effort. It's a shame to see it's not entering a low latency mode.

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #430 of 2,202
One more observation: When I have two sources connected by bluetooth (I haven't tried wired) I frequently get stuttering on the audio or random disconnections. I've had the same issue with both pairs that I've had. That presumably is a glitch that can be fixed in FW, but for now the work around is to connect to one source only.
I have no problem when connected to both iphone and ipad. What are your sources?

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #431 of 2,202
So so far it looks like the ‘reported’ issues are-

• Loose wiggly buttons
  • Rattling on either ear cup
  • A volume limiter kicking in at higher volumes
  • Creaky hinges
A bit disappointing if these are happening at the asking price. I was deadset on these but now having second thoughts:frowning2:
Mine has none of those issues.

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #434 of 2,202
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #435 of 2,202
Ah, I just experienced the issue someone described (either here or elsewhere...maybe YouTube?) that the volume briefly increases when the headphones are switched off while playing music. Hopefully that is patched out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back