Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Dec 1, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #1,381 of 2,912
My PXs are magical! :) Or at least the batteries are. They can go on forever!

Right out of the box the batteries was half full. I then charged them to 100%. I’m still on my first battery cycle. And I thought I should test the batteries.

I’m now trying to kill them by draining the batteries. But those bastards won’t die!

Yeah I know, you can have worse problems than that. Right? :)

But really, there is something strange with the battery presentation in the app.

Yesterday I noticed that I had 5% battery life left when I woke them from Standby. I started to use them and at the same time I was monitoring the battery life in the app.

Instead of decreasing the battery life it slowly increased!? 5%, 6%, ... 10%, 11%, 12%.

After 12 % it slowly went back down again.

Today I noticed that the headphones had shut down. They were no longer in standby. The battery was dead I believed.

I started them up again and the app said it was 1% left. Fair enough.

But once again it started to increase when I used them? It went up to 2%.

After a few minutes it was down to 0% but still playing music. Actually I could from this point play music for 2,5 more hours!

The battery life continued to go up and down between 0-2%.

I even turned on NC after a while just to make life really hard for my poor PXs. But they just kept going!

After 2,5 hours they finally gave up.

I probably should be happy that my headphones got great battery life. But it would be nice to be able to trust the app and it’s battery presentation.

Do you know why they are behaving like this? Do the batteries need to be calibrated? If so, how do I do that?

I’m charging them to 100 % again now. Lets hope the indicator will be better for the next battery cycle.

It probably is a matter of calibration. Generally, running them from 100% to ~0% (even though I think that's not the greatest for the battery) will calibrate it. I'm also really happy with the battery. A full charge easily gets me through a week.

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #1,385 of 2,912
Hey guys,
Got my cans from Amazon's Black Friday discount and was extremely excited to hear what high end headphones sounded like.

I've seen some of the other comments regarding an airy sound when you listen to the cans with an improper seal. I can confirm this is the case.

When I bring the headphones specifically to my easr tightly, the sound is beautiful. However, this is very uncomfortable. Unfortunately, when I wear the cups over my ears, like how over-ear headphones are meant to be worn, the mid-range guitars in my tracks become glaringly distorted with a sharp hissing (as if the guitarist went replaced his equipment with crappy $100 Costco instruments).

Currently, my remedy is to use an EQ to dial the gain way back on the 2k-3k registers, which fixes the hissing and makes music listenable again. Unfortunately, this also muffles some of the bright acoustics that I was really beginning to enjoy, like hearing the individual guitar pickings and strumming. This is the impromptu EQ setting I made:

https://imgur.com/L0bAZbD

Anyone else come up with other solutions to this problem?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #1,386 of 2,912
Hey guys,
Got my cans from Amazon's Black Friday discount and was extremely excited to hear what high end headphones sounded like.

I've seen some of the other comments regarding an airy sound when you listen to the cans with an improper seal. I can confirm this is the case.

When I bring the headphones specifically to my easr tightly, the sound is beautiful. However, this is very uncomfortable. Unfortunately, when I wear the cups over my ears, like how over-ear headphones are meant to be worn, the mid-range guitars in my tracks become glaringly distorted with a sharp hissing (as if the guitarist went replaced his equipment with ****ty $100 Costco instruments).

Currently, my remedy is to use an EQ to dial the gain way back on the 2k-3k registers, which fixes the hissing and makes music listenable again. Unfortunately, this also muffles some of the bright acoustics that I was really beginning to enjoy, like hearing the individual guitar pickings and strumming. This is the impromptu EQ setting I made:

https://imgur.com/L0bAZbD

Anyone else come up with other solutions to this problem?

I think the stiffness of the earpads are the major culprit here. People talking about better sounds without wearing glasses or getting a haircut points to this as well. Once the memory foam gets used to the shape of your head, I think it will sound better.

Dec 2, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #1,388 of 2,912
I found that gluing PX around the ears fixes the perfect positioning and maximizes its sound quality. Trust me, when you do this you will definitely stop blaming PX design (seal, pads or whatever), no longer need to cut your hair daily and you can wear your glasses as you do before.

I hope this tip help you guys!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #1,389 of 2,912
Toggle the Bluetooth off then off again on your phone. App looks like it just falls out of sync with the phones existing pairing.

I've found the best workaround for android app connection issues (when stuck on "Searching for PX..." screen). Simply pause the music and restart Headphones app! Once it's connected, music can be restarted. It looks like PX can't handle playback and registering to app at the same time.

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #1,390 of 2,912
After another few days I noticed few things:

At first I said that ANC is far worse than 1000x. I did another trip on Friday noticed that it is actually rather cool ANC for a trip. It is totally different in the way it works. It is not a cocoon... it does not create a vacoom kind of an ANC but it does kill most of the general noice in the background. And now is the funny part...I found it a very nice kind of an ANC and potentially a safer one. It does not disconnect you totally from the world but it just cuts a lot of the most annoying sounds. It is not bad, it’s just less effective but still a good ANC on the go.

Pads are getting softer and softer day by day. I help them with pressing and when I leave headphones for overnight burn-in I add a bit of pressure and put the pads flat. I don’t think they will reach the momentum level of comfort but they started to feel like a leather pads and lost that stiff plastic feel I felt at the beginning.

Sound wise, I think they will not change much. I think that with the right position and angle they sound really good, but will always have this hint of boxyness in the mids. It is a bit of the sound that this top of the line small speakers systems have... You just feel that speakers are smallish, lack a bit of bottom end eforthless,depth. I feel that they have a wide stage, but lack depth due to lifted mids to my ears and I feel that a small tweak in EQ inside the headphones could really help ease out most of the slight problems I hear.

Overall with a bit of EQ I love them a lot.

Oh, by the way, rabass6, thank You for help, Yes it turned out plug-in is one thing turning them on is another :)

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #1,391 of 2,912
I’ve been watching this thread with interest since the beginning as I’ve been in the market for some ANC headphones and love B&W loudspeakers. All the back-and-forth commotion kept me on the sidelines, but then when I got an email last Thursday that my Citibank “Thank You Points” were set to expire, and I didn’t even know I had them, well I came home that night with a fresh pair from Best Buy.

I think there are different things people are after when buying cans, but for me the goal for these was max listening pleasure at lower volume levels. After many years of concert going and city living my hearing has taken a hit with sporadic tinnitus in one ear, and I want to protect what’s left. After a few days of listening I think these will be great in that regard.

I was going to do the passive burn-in thing, but the pink noise app crashed overnight. There was some staticky ground noise from the A/C usb charger I had connected to the headphones so maybe that helped. But since then I’ve done plenty of hours listening so I’d consider these burned in. I have short hair and a great seal (I agree with everything Napilopez said about this).

About the sound, I think what stands out with PX are its dynamics and detail. Things like kick drums and bass lines are punchy and tight, treble elements like high-hats are crisp and string vibrations shimmer. I get how some folks think the mids are veiled, but my take on this is that it’s just part of the overall dynamics; balancing everything in sound is difficult as sound is naturally cancelling, etc., so there are tradeoffs here where the midrange can seem somewhat recessed in the dynamic mix, whereas some more clear-midrange sounding phones sacrifice details, causing the listener to raise the volume to restore those lost details. The PX rather seem to say “here is detail in plenty of space, crank it a bit if you want to focus on the mids”. For my purposes this works really well.

About the soundstage, there are many phones that succeed in delivering good sound separation. I think the PX’s detail and dynamics combine to deliver a sort of sonic diorama that, like a live show, allows for a choice of focus on different musical elements.

As for ANC, these do a great job of cancelling low rumbling frequencies. We have an exceptionally load bathroom fan which was silenced by the airplane mode. I also went tried listening right next to the loud water pump in our building’s basement, and the ANC made it sound like it was behind a number of thick doors. Though the cans seal very well, the ANC was essential in these environments. To me, the sound with ANC is as if you compressed that sonic diorama into smaller sphere. The dynamics lose some their oomph, but the details are maybe even heightened a bit.

As for comfort, the clamping force was a bit disconcerting at first, but as others point out, the earpads do break in pretty quickly. The headband on the top of the head took some getting used to, but maybe that beaks in too, because I’ve been going hours with these on without any problems. As many here know, the telltale sign of really good headphones is that you want to play everything you know on them and I’ve been staying up well past my bedtime doing just that so yes, these are pretty great headphones. I think I owe my bank some “You’re Welcome” points :) .

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #1,392 of 2,912
After a week or so and about 10k miles in the air, I've been pretty impressed. I mostly use the cans with ANC off and for all kinds of content from music, to videos, and even video conferencing. As other have mentioned, my experience is that the sound is presented on a spacious stage, with detail, accuracy, and tight bass.

I personally do not have any issues with boxy hollow sound and I seem to find a good seal easily. I don't tend wear glasses but when I have, I noticed that my computer glasses with thicker wings did break the seal (not a crazy amount though and with ANC on in office mode it was hardly noticeable). My sunglasses (thin winged Oakleys) on the other hand were just fine. One other note on ANC (in flight), to my ears if complete silence of low frequency noises would get headphones 100/100, then I'd say the Sony WH1000M2's were 90-95/100 and these PXs in the 80-90/1000 range. The best way I could describe this difference is the volume of rumble experienced on the Sony's were lower (not by a crazy amount but a noticeable drop).

Regarding comfort, I just completed a 13 hour flight with minimal fatigue which actually surprised me since these are the heaviest headphones I own and when I first got them felt like someone had clamped bricks onto my head (PXs are 230g heavier than my previous travel anc cans). One thing I did notice though, I think this is primarily due to either weight or the shape of my head, when leaning back in the chair, the PXs cups pivoted a little too easily resulting in having to readjust for proper seal. After a couple tries, I seemed to be set for most for most of the flight, but something to keep in mind.

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #1,393 of 2,912
I have just bought the PX in Singapore today... I was quite blew off when it was out from the box. However, some songs appeared to be muddy in bass and guitar when it came to separation but most of the songs appeared to be nice and clarity in separation. Whatever I read in this forum, I shall let it burn in naturally, just play with the songs and enjoy it till it is totally burn inti it's own character of PX... Hope it shall improve in time to comes... Cheers then and good day ahead.

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #1,394 of 2,912
finally picked up my pair in Singapore, 2 months after the initial launch hype and posting in the first few pages of this thread lol. Everybody here's leaving it at the Office ANC preset? Busted these out of the box during my train ride home and Office seems a tad lifeless. The P7Ws are super-hard hitting and Office on the PXes sound nothing like the P7s. Nice clean audio, much like B&O's v1 H6s, but I'd really like a bit more punch. Will leave it on City and burn these in overnight.

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #1,395 of 2,912
Just as a small reminder.. The sound signature / characteristics of the P7W and PX and *not* similar.. And are not meant to be. Comparing them is like comparing Sauvignion to Chardonnay.. Both white wines but both different flavors..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back