Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Dec 4, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #1,396 of 2,912
Just as a small reminder.. The sound signature / characteristics of the P7W and PX and *not* similar.. And are not meant to be. Comparing them is like comparing Sauvignion to Chardonnay.. Both white wines but both different flavors..

Thank you.. I do noticed that... Base signature remain but staging in clarity and separation with much flat producing EQ is much obvious. Still need to hear after 20 hours of burn in procession to it. Nevertheless, it is quite alright for me in its status of sound producing right now. Just hope for its best after procession of burn in...

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #1,397 of 2,912
Everybody here's leaving it at the Office ANC preset

I think most people have ANC turned off most of the time. The sound is much better with ANC turned off. The PX also has very good passive noise reduction due to good seal.

I only use ANC when I really need it. For example, on a flight. And if I use it I tend to use Flight mode.

I have seen some reviews and people at forums that some seem to use the three ANC modes (Office, City and Flight) as if they are three levels of ANC with different amounts of NC. But I do not think that's correct. For me, it is more three different types of NC. Of course, the amount of NC is different between modes and Flight mode has the most NC. But they also focus on different frequencies and tasks. For example, the City mode is letting through a lot of noise on purpose. It even amplifies specific frequencies so you can hear important things like traffic noise.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #1,398 of 2,912
I think most people have ANC turned off most of the time. The sound is much better with ANC turned off. The PX also has very good passive noise reduction due to good seal.

I only use ANC when I really need it. For example, on a flight. And if I use it I tend to use Flight mode.

I have seen some reviews and people at forums that some seem to use the three ANC modes (Office, City and Flight) as if they are three levels of ANC with different amounts of NC. But I do not think that's correct. For me, it is more three different types of NC. Of course, the amount of NC is different between modes and Flight mode has the most NC. But they also focus on different frequencies and tasks. For example, the City mode is letting through a lot of noise on purpose. It even amplifies specific frequencies so you can hear important things like traffic noise.
I did notice that even in City mode, with voice passthrough turned completely off,the PX was still letting in an unusual amount of noise from the internal microphones. I'd much rather have some ANC on during my daily commute as I find train noise and human chatter borderline intolerable, but we'll see how things go.

edit: took the PX off burn-in duties for a while and I couldn't resist running a little Run the Jewels on this bad boy, turned off ANC and the bass is super tight. Still on wireless because I'm lazy lol, but aptX HD on my Sony XZP sounds good.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #1,399 of 2,912
finally picked up my pair in Singapore, 2 months after the initial launch hype and posting in the first few pages of this thread lol. Everybody here's leaving it at the Office ANC preset? Busted these out of the box during my train ride home and Office seems a tad lifeless. The P7Ws are super-hard hitting and Office on the PXes sound nothing like the P7s. Nice clean audio, much like B&O's v1 H6s, but I'd really like a bit more punch. Will leave it on City and burn these in overnight.
Just as a small reminder.. The sound signature / characteristics of the P7W and PX and *not* similar.. And are not meant to be. Comparing them is like comparing Sauvignion to Chardonnay.. Both white wines but both different flavors..

I think the theory of the P7Ws was the "loudness" theory: fun sound, punchy, big to overcome outside sounds

The PX theory is: neutral, accurate because ANC overcomes outside sounds (theoretically)

Personally I ditched the PX and enjoy my P7Ws, don't need ANC for travel as it actually makes things worse for me, and vastly prefer the P7W sound

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #1,401 of 2,912
After spending the weekend using the PX almost non stop I must say that the sound has grown more on me. The mids sound awesome on some tracks; especially vocals, but it does come across as a bit muddy on certain metal songs. I do hope B&W add in some an equalizer in their app as B&O have done for some of us to tune the sound a bit more to our liking. I haven’t extensively tested the ANC as yet but I did turn it on during a rainy afternoon and it worked pretty well for me.

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #1,402 of 2,912
The PX has been 24 hours with me since purchased. Some facts for me is, the sound produced from this can seems improved after 8 hours of listening from heavy rock to pop... So far, no boxy effect occurred during my listening without using NC mode. (Maybe I got a lousy ear) Hahaha . So far, I quite love it compare to P7W. Bass is quite flat compare to P7.. I'm not a bass head afterall. Separation seems to be more define after these 8 hours of listening. I am still listening to 'whitesnake' right now during this write up of my finding... However, application from B&W can't make it yet... Need to restart before it could connect to PX. (I'm using iPhone 7plus right now, but under V20. It keep on searching the PX... .. Hope B&W could improve the application in their connection issues and also more features for us to fine tune it thru built in EQ.)

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,403 of 2,912
I’ve had a pair of PXs since October, I’ve been listening to them near-daily (for hours a day), and I love ‘em. They sound excellent, the fit improves *dramatically* after a while, and the wear sensor is reliable for me (when the sensitivity is set to low).

Compared to the P7Ws there isn’t as much mid-bass slam, but I notice more definition in the PX’s mids and sub-bass. Tracks like FKA twig’s “Glass & Patron” and Run the Jewels’ “Call Ticketron” hit hard but keep the mids and the highs nice and crisp. There’s a lot to like with both headphones (as is usually the case with B&W), but I definitely prefer the spaciousness and details of the PX. The noise cancelling is pretty convenient, too: I set it to office (with no voice pass through) during my walking commute and that is plenty helpful at cutting out most city noise. It doesn’t affect the sound much, and it also doesn’t cause the ‘vacuum effect’ (which I don’t like) that I’ve noticed with Bose and others.

I agree with many of the comments so far about fit—it sucks at first (I got a ‘clamp’ headache when I started wearing these), but after the materials relaxed a bit, I find the PX to be more comfortable than the P7W specifically because the earcups seem to have less overall contact around my ears, but they form a more effective seal. Going back to the P7W feels a bit like strapping couch cushions to my ears.

My biggest gripe with these headphones is that the line-in jack is too sensitive, kind of like how the P7W is when turned on (but idle). I can’t use my Dragonfly Red with these because the line-in noise is too high, no matter what the Dragonfly is connected to. And as far as size goes, I like that these don’t fold the same way that the P7Ws do, but I wish they were a bit flatter when in their case. Beyond that, I do hope that BW adds some EQ customization to the app, and also some control around which device to automatically connect to (a default device like the P7W does, or last connected like the PX currently does).

At any rate: these headphones are great, and I hope they iron out whatever issues they’ve been having with defective sets.

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,404 of 2,912
I think the stiffness of the earpads are the major culprit here. People talking about better sounds without wearing glasses or getting a haircut points to this as well. Once the memory foam gets used to the shape of your head, I think it will sound better.

I have found that the pads so seem to fit better after a few days, and the sound improves. I do wear glasses.

Dec 5, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,405 of 2,912
... we know
I value consistency. Consistency sets expectations, expectations create contentment, contentment creates happiness. As the custodian of your happiness, you're welcome.
The fit improves *dramatically* after a while, and the wear sensor is reliable for me (when the sensitivity is set to low) .... I agree with many of the comments so far about fit—it sucks at first (I got a ‘clamp’ headache when I started wearing these), but after the materials relaxed a bit, I find the PX to be more comfortable than the P7W specifically because the earcups seem to have less overall contact around my ears, but they form a more effective seal. Going back to the P7W feels a bit like strapping couch cushions to my ears.

I think the PX are a big step up in comfort from the P7W - completely agree about the "strapping cushions". The P7W did relax in the clamp, but the top-of-head pressure has never gone away. With the PX, I found the seal to be better, the clamp to be much less (and loosened up fine with some stretching technique), and I never got any top of head pressure. I can't wear the P7W for more than 20 minutes in a given position before I have to adjust them.

Also I actually prefer the fold on the PX for how I travel: while the P7W are nice in collapsing the length, it's at the expense of width which then creates a big ball in the case that's hard to stuff into my airline carry-on. The PX, by folding flat, are super easy to slip into a carry-on. I found this a particular advantage in Europe where they make you take out all of your electronics for scanning, but it's also just nicer because it's very easy to put the PX and a book side-by-side in a carry on - can't do that with the P7W.

PX are much improved for carry and comfort for me.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,406 of 2,912
Trying these things out right now. The sound is pretty good, but has anyone noticed the massive noise when connected over 3.5mm? It's especially obvious if you're charging at the same time. Seems like they forgot to shield that part, which is unfortunate since this is the lowest-latecy connection available on the device. Even the direct USB connection has several ms of latency, making it frustrating to use for gaming and musical performance.

I'm also bummed that the microphone isn't usable in USB mode. This could have made a nice gaming headset.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #1,407 of 2,912
Trying these things out right now. The sound is pretty good, but has anyone noticed the massive noise when connected over 3.5mm? It's especially obvious if you're charging at the same time. Seems like they forgot to shield that part, which is unfortunate since this is the lowest-latecy connection available on the device. Even the direct USB connection has several ms of latency, making it frustrating to use for gaming and musical performance.

I'm also bummed that the microphone isn't usable in USB mode. This could have made a nice gaming headset.

If you are getting a hissing\feedback sound when the aux is plugged into your computer, it's probably a grounding issue with your PC and not the fault of the headphones. I get the same thing with these as well as with my HD598s (although not as bad with them). Try driving them from your phone or the like to see if the same sound is there.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #1,408 of 2,912
If you are getting a hissing\feedback sound when the aux is plugged into your computer, it's probably a grounding issue with your PC and not the fault of the headphones. I get the same thing with these as well as with my HD598s (although not as bad with them). Try driving them from your phone or the like to see if the same sound is there.
The hiss is audible even when the aux cable isn't plugged in to anything. Starts as soon as you plug something into the 3.5mm port on the headphones.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #1,409 of 2,912
I get a ridiculous amount of static noise when I have connected the USB and the 3.5mm both to the laptop (USB for charging and 3.5mm for audio), it's really loud and it happens even when the laptop is not plugged into the mains. So while charging the only option I have is to switch to the USB audio device and remove the 3.5mm cable.

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,410 of 2,912
So I'm generally quite happy with the PX. HOWEVER, if you live anywhere that gets even slightly cold during the winter months, note that these headphones drain battery in the cold faster than any device I've used in recent memory. We're talking 40 degree F weather draining the battery by 16 percent in 15 minutes. For a 20hr device that's ridiculous. I'm frustrated with it, but these are the best sounding wireless cans I've tried, so I guess it's a give and take situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back