Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 30, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,366 of 2,912
So I got to use my new PX several times today:

1. Early morning coffee shop with few people around as I listened to music. The "City" mode worked best.
2. Lunch with very few people in restaurant watching an iTunes movie. City mode worked well
3. After lunch coffee in the coffee shop with lots of people, and lots of noise, while I watch an action movie. Even at the highest level of sound reduction, the short scenes with lots of spaces between lines was problematic. I think constant music would probably have been okay. It just the total silences between speech in the movie let the environmental sound around me become distracting.

I love the looks, fit and finish of the PX! If I keep them I'd probably have to still break out my Bose QCi30 earbuds in really loud environments. To be fair I had access to the Bose over the ear 25's and didn't think they worked with environmental sound reduction as the QC30i earbuds. I wonder if I would find the PX more acceptable for in flight engine noise?

I'm almost tempted to bring in my P9's or my Master & Dynamic MW60 into the same environments to help me justify keep the PX :wink: BTW I'd prefer the MW60 over the PX in quiet (outside the home). Open headphones vs. sealed. Apples and oranges I know.

Maybe I'm having a fit problem with improper seal as mentioned in earlier threads? I do like the PX, I'm just trying to figure out if they belong in my arsenal of headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #1,367 of 2,912
I've had my PX for about two days now and honestly I'm quite underwhelmed by it so far. I read through this thread alot before purchasing and I thought the boxy sound being described by many was just an exaggeration but man was I wrong. I'm coming from a B&O H4 and I did enjoy its sound a lot, in addition to the lambskin earcups which were the most comfortable I've ever worn. I do hope my PX improves a lot in the coming days as it breaks in and the ear cups softens.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #1,368 of 2,912
I took a leap of faith and bought PX... out of curiosity and because I really love the looks of it and form. After 24h I already have few thoughts :

Comfort: They are getting a bit irritating after few hours... but they feel secured on head and give a good secure feel. I feel pads need few weeks to soften up.

NC: I took 3h train trip as I often do weekly and PXs did a good job at cutting out some of the background noise... I found that the pass through needs to be set to OFF for best performance. I used Office mode and it was good enough - I slept for an hour. I remember 1000x were much better at that... more comfy and better at NC, but saying that these can also do some of the NC work just fine.

Sound: I’ll start with burn in. they do burn in ... and after 20h they do seem bo be more relaxed in bass distribution and highs... but I did not notice burn in to reduce boxy sound problem.

I noticed that position both X and Y is very important but also rotation of headphones is very important. For me they need to be in the center of ear and headband need to be exactly at the highest point of my skull. I imagine every head and ear shape is different... and yes they are very prone to both position and seal. To help with the seal I press them from time to time to help pads ease out... but it looks like a longer process.
Source: I noticed that they are very very source/codec sensitive. Apple Music sounds great, Tidal HiFi .. don’t seem to add any thing extra , or even sounds less lively. Spotify with its very slight roll - off in highest and lowest tones sounds ok at best. Netflix sounds specious and good enough. I listen them through IPad Pro 12’ And iPhone 5s.

Sound it self is very interesting and I also noticed that these are very genre sensitive... new music kinds sound awesome, yes awesome. More classically mastered might sound slightly darker and sometimes the mids seem a tiny bit messed up... like if the slight reverb that I hear messed subtle sounds in mids ... I hear that a bit more in Blue Planet II album , it sounds distant and a bit messy.

Highs are slightly rolled off but are very detailed and smooth in good tracks. It would help if they have a touch more of 8K+ , just a touch. But once I got used to this presentation, in most cases I really like the highs.

Mids sound a touch elevated and have a bit of echo, this boxy reverb to it.It is tricky to me to pin-point the issue, but more complex tracks gets a bit... noisy in image.

Bass is very tight, and slightly rolled off, in some tracks it sounds very nice, in others PXses would use a bit of this sub bass to fulfill the image.This would ease the digital feel that bass have at times.
PXs would have a great benefit from EQ in app, for small tweaks , like reducing EQ around 400hz and lifting from 2khz + and -150hz.

The PXses seem to have one funny thing, the more I listen to them, the more I seem to like them. They do sound much much better then MDR1000x and Bose q35in terms of detail and precision to my ears but I would say that they do have their way of presenting things... and it’s far from perfect, mostly because of boxy sound.

For now the only technical thing I have big problem with is the fact that USB audio does not work both on win and OS X... and did not find a way to produce any sound. Any advice would help! Systems see them but.. that’s it.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,371 of 2,912
With my MacBoox, they were available by the system also when off, but no sound. I tried turning them on and that solved it. It was weird because with the USB cable in of course the light was green and I thought they were on. Please, give it a try

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,372 of 2,912
My PXs are magical! :) Or at least the batteries are. They can go on forever!

Right out of the box the batteries was half full. I then charged them to 100%. I’m still on my first battery cycle. And I thought I should test the batteries.

I’m now trying to kill them by draining the batteries. But those bastards won’t die!

Yeah I know, you can have worse problems than that. Right? :)

But really, there is something strange with the battery presentation in the app.

Yesterday I noticed that I had 5% battery life left when I woke them from Standby. I started to use them and at the same time I was monitoring the battery life in the app.

Instead of decreasing the battery life it slowly increased!? 5%, 6%, ... 10%, 11%, 12%.

After 12 % it slowly went back down again.

Today I noticed that the headphones had shut down. They were no longer in standby. The battery was dead I believed.

I started them up again and the app said it was 1% left. Fair enough.

But once again it started to increase when I used them? It went up to 2%.

After a few minutes it was down to 0% but still playing music. Actually I could from this point play music for 2,5 more hours!

The battery life continued to go up and down between 0-2%.

I even turned on NC after a while just to make life really hard for my poor PXs. But they just kept going!

After 2,5 hours they finally gave up.

I probably should be happy that my headphones got great battery life. But it would be nice to be able to trust the app and it’s battery presentation.

Do you know why they are behaving like this? Do the batteries need to be calibrated? If so, how do I do that?

I’m charging them to 100 % again now. Lets hope the indicator will be better for the next battery cycle.

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #1,373 of 2,912
Sound it self is very interesting and I also noticed that these are very genre sensitive... new music kinds sound awesome, yes awesome. More classically mastered might sound slightly darker and sometimes the mids seem a tiny bit messed up... like if the slight reverb that I hear messed subtle sounds in mids ... I hear that a bit more in Blue Planet II album , it sounds distant and a bit messy.

Highs are slightly rolled off but are very detailed and smooth in good tracks. It would help if they have a touch more of 8K+ , just a touch. But once I got used to this presentation, in most cases I really like the highs.

Mids sound a touch elevated and have a bit of echo, this boxy reverb to it.It is tricky to me to pin-point the issue, but more complex tracks gets a bit... noisy in image.

Bass is very tight, and slightly rolled off, in some tracks it sounds very nice, in others PXses would use a bit of this sub bass to fulfill the image.This would ease the digital feel that bass have at times.
PXs would have a great benefit from EQ in app, for small tweaks , like reducing EQ around 400hz and lifting from 2khz + and -150hz.

The PXses seem to have one funny thing, the more I listen to them, the more I seem to like them. They do sound much much better then MDR1000x and Bose q35in terms of detail and precision to my ears but I would say that they do have their way of presenting things... and it’s far from perfect, mostly because of boxy sound.

Yes you're right about the sound being captivating. I do think it's the echoing mids giving me the impression of a "fuller" sound. I put on B&O's for an afternoon jog and it sounded way too V-shaped for me at first. The PX does sound pretty nice with classical music but I'm also a big metal head and that's where things really go south with the sound for me. Hopefully this will improve as I get more hours on them.

Dec 1, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #1,374 of 2,912
I've had my PX for about two days now and honestly I'm quite underwhelmed by it so far. I read through this thread alot before purchasing and I thought the boxy sound being described by many was just an exaggeration but man was I wrong. I'm coming from a B&O H4 and I did enjoy its sound a lot, in addition to the lambskin earcups which were the most comfortable I've ever worn. I do hope my PX improves a lot in the coming days as it breaks in and the ear cups softens.
I've auditioned the B&O H4 also, and find them much more capable of recreating the instruments and a feeling of presence. Is it the B&O brand which is in the way of realising the potential?

Dec 1, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #1,375 of 2,912
I've auditioned the B&O H4 also, and find them much more capable of recreating the instruments and a feeling of presence. Is it the B&O brand which is in the way of realising the potential?

Yes, the H4 is quite a lovely pair of wireless cans. I am now leaning heavily to returning the PX and pick up the B&O H7 as I am a fan of their sound, aesthetics and supreme comfort. They may not have ANC but it was never a necessity at this point in time. The reviews made the PX seem like the best wireless headphone experience and that’s why I jumped on them. The ANC just seemed like icing on the cake to make it the perfect wireless cans but it didn’t turn out like that in my experience so I guess I may just do without it for the time being while the tech matures some more.

Dec 1, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #1,376 of 2,912
Well this is quirky. When I use e-mail notification on my iPhone 8+ the music pauses and doesn't resume automatically. While playing music on my iPad 10.5 it does let the "ding" come through over the music for a second, or it pauses and resumes so quickly it is not a problem.

The problem goes away when I turned off my iPad which I had previously listening to music on. I double checked and I made sure I was in fact now listening to music on the iPhone.

Is it possible the iPad, having previously connected was confusing the headphones?

BTW I called my iPhone from my desk phone and it worked as expected. The call came through, and the music stopped and resumed when I hung up.

What am I missing? Make sure that the iPad is disconnected before using my iPhone I suppose.

Dec 1, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #1,377 of 2,912
when you turn on the PX it automatically tries to connect with the last connected device. So if you were playing music from the iPad, and also connect the PX to the iPhone as secondary device, when a notification from iPhone calls for the PX attention, it stays then connected to the phone. If you press Play on the iPad, music is streaming back from the tablet.
Or at least that's what I experienced.

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #1,378 of 2,912
Got my PX two days ago.
App has problems connecting to them.
Every time I turn them off, if I want the app to recognize them, I need to start Bluetooth pairing mode which is annoying because I have to manually connect them trough Bluetooth option screen and start playback again. Normally it's just stuck indefinitely on "Searching for PX..." Firmware is 1.062
Interesting that nobody mentions it in thread, while Android Play Store is swarmed with negative reviews based on connecting issues.
Edit: Actually, I've seen people complaining on app, but I haven't seen this particular problem or solution.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #1,379 of 2,912
Got my PX two days ago.
Every time I turn them off, if I want the app to recognize them, I need to start Bluetooth pairing mode which is annoying because I have to manually connect them trough Bluetooth option screen and start playback again. Normally it's just stuck indefinitely on "Searching for PX..." Firmware is 1.062
Interesting that nobody mentions it in thread, while Android Play Store is swarmed with negative reviews based on connecting issues.

I’m using an iPhone and I haven’t noticed any issues with the app thus far.

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #1,380 of 2,912
Got my PX two days ago.
Edit: Actually, I've seen people complaining on app, but I haven't seen this particular problem or solution.
This is a problem for me too, also on Android. Normally, the way I get around it is by force closing the app, and relaunching it. That seems to get it to connect without issue. Hopefully this can be solved through updates though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back