Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 27, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #1,336 of 2,912
The seal concern is enough for me to not consider this HP since I wear glasses, but just the fact that this is a portable device so one is moving about with it, so it should be designed as such. I don't remember people complaining about this with the 7W.

The more I use these the more I think it’s not a seal issue but an issue with the angled driver.

The seal breaking is also indicative of the angled driver not hitting the sweet spot, you really need to get the driver lined up properly.

I genuinely think this is a design flaw in a mobile headphone.

I like them, don’t get me wrong. But I feel B&W were trying to do too much with a wireless, mobile headphone.

Going to give serious consideration to returning these and going for the P7W. Can’t see anything else out there I like.

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #1,337 of 2,912
Nov 27, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #1,338 of 2,912
The more I use these the more I think it’s not a seal issue but an issue with the angled driver.

The seal breaking is also indicative of the angled driver not hitting the sweet spot, you really need to get the driver lined up properly.

I like them, don’t get me wrong. But I feel B&W were trying to do too much with a wireless, mobile headphone.

Going to give serious consideration to returning these and going for the P7W. Can’t see anything else out there I like.

Still not sure about that. Pressing the cups against my head and then wiggle them without breaking the seal does not have the same effect ..

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #1,339 of 2,912

The ATH M50 has angled drivers, so is Sony MDR Z7s neither has issues with my glasses or any abrupt head movements, even though the Sony is not designed for portable use. So no I'm not buying that theory....
Yeah the P7W is on my short list as well...

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #1,340 of 2,912
The ATH M50 has angled drivers, so is Sony MDR Z7s neither has issues with my glasses or any abrupt head movements, even though the Sony is not designed for portable use. So no I'm not buying that theory....
Yeah the P7W is on my short list as well...

True, the Z7’s didn’t have the issue but they were 70mm drivers.

Maybe I’m off the mark here, but there is something a little odd about these cans. If it is purely a seal issue that seems a flaw in a mobile headphone.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #1,341 of 2,912
On top of that .. I do wear glasses, albeit irregularly .. They are thick-rimmed at that .. But I noticed that while the earpads grow softer and more comfortable with use, the seal already breaks less often .. So for me I find that there is absolute truth in the statement that the earpads also need breaking-in :)

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #1,342 of 2,912
One of the reasons why I returned PX was its inability to hold its position while moving. It was nearly impossible having a stable positioning and SQ with these headphones while commuting and vehicle causes some small shakes. I was finding myself trying to reposition PX so much times and this is not the most comfortable way of usin an headphone. I can say P7W doesn't have such a problem after a year of usage. I also think P7W's rectangular earcups provides more stable grip on head.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #1,343 of 2,912
Had my PX for just over a week now and have a few thoughts - early days but feel reasonable about them:

Initial sound wasn't very impressive - was a bit flat. After a bit of burn-in that's generally improved, but that's going from unacceptable initially so not the real benchmark.

Overall sound seems good on the highs and the bass has a nice presence without being a dominating / exaggerated thump, but the mids seem to be left out somewhat. I'm not throwing the best quality tunes at it (Spotify Extreme, no hifi-quality / lossless) but it does seem to reflect the quality of the track, I've heard quite a few additional details I never heard/noticed before and likewise can hear poorly mastered tracks a lot more clearly.

ANC seems to be mixed. I'm normally using office-mode as it seemed little hit to sound quality with some benefit on the commute to work (London underground) but anything more seems to reduce quality too much for me. I'd rather turn volume up than ANC up. I'll be trying switching between ANC on and off on commute this week to get a feel for preference.

Comfort is fine for me. No issues with it slipping off, being uncomfortable or gaps - sitting down, commute to work or even tested at the gym. The wear sensor is great though. I had tested the Sony 1000x and didn't really like the trick (hand on earcup to hear better) - if someone is talking to me it feels awkward to talk with headphones still on and easier to just take them off with the wear sensor and back on to continue listening.

Hardware-wise the one bit that niggles me is the control - while easy to find, seems to be unreliable on the skip track and a significant amount of the time just pauses it when I want to skip.

I've now had around 25 hours of burn-in, given I'm using it each day I've not really sure whether additional burn-in will give it much more improvement or not or just a placebo.

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #1,344 of 2,912
I was following this thread for some time already. I have 1000x's and really did not like them for music, so I was really hoping that PX's could be my solution. I travel a lot and none of my headphones work in the train except for the sony's but they don't give me the thrills.

And so,one time I went to the the local hifi shop as they had PX .. new ones, fresh from the box.. and my first impression was.. bad. I used Iphone 5S, TIDAL/Apple Music. I knew about correct positioning (I read it here..), but still I could not set them to get rid of Boxy sound. Bass was nice.. not too strong, but mids were really messy to my ears, with hollow echo and kind of miss alignment in depth space, highs were very very polite... compared to my Z5s I had with me. ANC was really very weak compared to the MDR-1000x.

Now, I was really shocked. I know they need a burn-in, and proper position, but really that sounded odd. On the shelf near by there were ATH-DSR7BT... and oh boy.. they sounded totally different.. highs were amazing... with incredible detail for Iphone ACC BT, and not very strong bass.. but most importantly they sounded coherent. I used that for checking. Now, I will go back there and give PX another listen as I really loved the looks, comfort was not as bad as I was expecting after reading some of the comments, but it is a bit surprising that these are so position sensitive.

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #1,345 of 2,912
Nov 27, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #1,346 of 2,912
Been doing some more A/Bing of the PX and P7W. As I posted earlier, it's a very difficult comparison to make because they're so different. After the PX the P7W sounds crazy V-shaped; after the P7W the PX sounds really muffled... mainly using iPhone 8 but also some AptX from the iMac.

I agree with @sandy1010, there is something off with the PX. They've got an odd boxy sounding bass and midrange at times. It's not with all tracks, guitars/rock-type music mostly. I also suspect it's to do with trying to implement angled drivers in such a small ear cup. I also think they've over-corrected the V-shape of the P7W by adding too much damping. It would be interesting to try removing the fabric covering the driver, or a small part of it coin mod style, but there'd be no way to reverse it.

I was very encouraged by the early impressions of the PX as more balanced and neutral than the P7W. The P7W is definitely too V-shaped and requires EQing for my taste. But the PX goes too far in the other direction and loses too much crispness and clarity. It has an amazing soundstage for sure, but it's quite veiled.

I'm having a really tough time deciding which to keep. They're both compromised I feel.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #1,347 of 2,912
my money is on the possibly botched DSP/electronics inside the HP WRT to the boxy sound not the angled drivers though it could in theory still be part of the problem, it's obviously a pure speculation nonetheless. Like I've said the Audio TechncaATH-M50 has angled drivers as well, and they probably the same size drivers with similar size cups as well. While we could debate it's sound signature [for what reason?] I've never noticed shifting in sound characteristics while wearing them outside say walking or have to constantly re adjust it. They remain constant even though I wear glasses. In other words the angled drivers alone may not be an issue, but could be part of a botched cup design, since the seal problems to some exists as well. Anyway I'll let you guys who own them figure this out.... :smile_phones:

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #1,348 of 2,912
my money is on the possibly botched DSP/electronics inside the HP WRT to the boxy sound not the angled drivers though it could in theory still be part of the problem, it's obviously a pure speculation nonetheless. Like I've said the Audio TechncaATH-M50 has angled drivers as well, and they probably the same size drivers with similar size cups as well. While we could debate it's sound signature [for what reason?] I've never noticed shifting in sound characteristics while wearing them outside say walking or have to constantly re adjust it. They remain constant even though I wear glasses. In other words the angled drivers alone may not be an issue, but could be part of a botched cup design, since the seal problems to some exists as well. Anyway I'll let you guys who own them figure this out.... :smile_phones:

My money is on the seal. Once the earpads soften, the cans "sink" or get "pressed" closer against to the head as a result. And the initially thin edge of the cushion thickens as it gets softer through the squashing. That improves the seal drastically. At this point even shaking my head has little or no effect on the sound quality anymore. Really happy with them the way they are now ..

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #1,349 of 2,912
Hi,
I'm planning on buying those headphones after reading a bit of this thread but i'm a total newbie when speaking of audio so I'm asking your advice before buying it in the nexts days.
Will I not be disappointed buying it, coming from a Sennheiser Momentum Over-Hear (the first generation) ?
I never tried other goods headphones than my Momentum so I wanted to change it after plenty years of use but I wanted wireless headphones for ergonomic reasons and it's said wireless headphones doesn't have as good SC than wired headphones (at the same price, obviously) so i always have been hesitant on planning to buy one.

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #1,350 of 2,912
Hi,
I'm planning on buying those headphones after reading a bit of this thread but i'm a total newbie when speaking of audio so I'm asking your advice before buying it in the nexts days.
Will I not be disappointed buying it, coming from a Sennheiser Momentum Over-Hear (the first generation) ?
I never tried other goods headphones than my Momentum so I wanted to change it after plenty years of use but I wanted wireless headphones for ergonomic reasons and it's said wireless headphones doesn't have as good SC than wired headphones (at the same price, obviously) so i always have been hesitant on planning to buy one.

Sorry for the blank post earlier. My BT keyboard went wonky.

I'm willing to make some compromises for the wireless. I know that wireless, at this time, isn't going to replace my home wired rig anytime soon. The problem for me I listen to most of my music outside of my home. So I am hoping the PX can fill in the wireless, active noise reduction better than my Boise QC30 earbuds that I use a lot in noisy environs.

That said looking for an all in one solution is probably the dream many of us share.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back