Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Dec 6, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #1,411 of 2,912
Trying these things out right now. The sound is pretty good, but has anyone noticed the massive noise when connected over 3.5mm? It's especially obvious if you're charging at the same time. Seems like they forgot to shield that part, which is unfortunate since this is the lowest-latecy connection available on the device. Even the direct USB connection has several ms of latency, making it frustrating to use for gaming and musical performance.
If you are getting a hissing\feedback sound when the aux is plugged into your computer, it's probably a grounding issue with your PC and not the fault of the headphones. I get the same thing with these as well as with my HD598s (although not as bad with them). Try driving them from your phone or the like to see if the same sound is there.
The hiss is audible even when the aux cable isn't plugged in to anything. Starts as soon as you plug something into the 3.5mm port on the headphones.
Came across this issue last night. Hooked the PX up to my micro iDSD DAC and I was assaulted with background hum and faint static. Changed cables from stock to my spare Sony MDR-1A cable, no luck. I was this close to packing them up to get them exchanged but as a last resort I stuck them into the headphone jack of my Sony phone, then the front headphone jack of my desktop PC. Zero noise in both cases.

tl;dr it's some kinda grounding issue.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #1,412 of 2,912
I've had my set for a few days now, in fact I'm already on my second set! The first set suddenly decided to no longer work with the cable and the volume buttons packed up. Thankfully the local shop I bought them from swapped them out straight away.

The only slight inconvenience really is that as others have said, the headphones get more comfortable with use and seem to burn in and I'd put them through one night of noise burn in and a good amount of use, so the new set were noticeably less comfortable and I'll have to wait a few days to get back to the same level of burn in.

I had been really enjoying the headphones and was certainly glad to get my replacement.

I bought mine because I wanted some good quality wireless phones and these were the best sounding ones I tried. I'm looking forward to putting a better source through it than my old Samsung Note 3 from 2013 with it's dinosaur age bluetooth.

I don't have much use for NC but it seemed to work well for me in the car earlier today.

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #1,413 of 2,912
Seems like there’s a new update available for the PX. Downloading at the moment but haven’t seen any notes for this firmware on B&W’s website as yet.
29E96D0F-E70B-4044-B6C3-75C327582172.png

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #1,414 of 2,912
Seems like there’s a new update available for the PX. Downloading at the moment but haven’t seen any notes for this firmware on B&W’s website as yet.

Same here. Update installed fine. Now figuring out if there is anything that was improved..

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,417 of 2,912
Picked up mine today in Rotterdam. Did the firmware update. Out of the box the sound is amazing. Use them with Apple music which means AAC. Frankly can’t hear any difference compared to dragonfly red w/ wired P5

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #1,418 of 2,912
The PX has been with me for the fifth days.. Listening to it everyday about 4 hours in average. Detail from pop, jazz, slow rock and heavy rock including live album is getting better and better with full point control. Especially the low and mid. Just updated the latest firmware 1.066 but do not what that's for. However, do notice the wearing sensor is better when on and off the head. Just would like to share my piece in how I felt about this can. Cheers.

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #1,421 of 2,912
The more I use these the more I think it’s not a seal issue but an issue with the angled driver.

The seal breaking is also indicative of the angled driver not hitting the sweet spot, you really need to get the driver lined up properly.

I genuinely think this is a design flaw in a mobile headphone.

I like them, don’t get me wrong. But I feel B&W were trying to do too much with a wireless, mobile headphone.

Going to give serious consideration to returning these and going for the P7W. Can’t see anything else out there I like.

I own the P9's and I've followed the discussion on the headphones thoroughly and one of the criticisms has been that the design of the headphones creates an inconsistent sound for the user. People are having a very different listening experience and I don't remember if anyone truly pinned down the reason. There were discussions of the reason being attributed to the angled drivers and or the seal on the ear cups.

Personally, I've only experienced the sound signature changing when lifting a cup or angling the headphones at a very weird angle on my head. I wonder if it's possible that people are experiencing a different sound signature based on the shape and angle of their ears.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #1,423 of 2,912

I’ve been running my PX through my Mojo/Poly combo and they sound amazing.

This is also where the ‘active only’ nature of the headphones really works. As my phone is still connected to the PX they still pick up calls for hands free calling, then when I hang up they return to cable mode for the music coming out of the Mojo.

For the first time I can use a DAC and handsfree through the same headphones seamlessly :)

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,424 of 2,912
Just updated the latest firmware 1.066 but do not what that's for. However, do notice the wearing sensor is better when on and off the head.

Same here, the wear sensor seems to be better. Phone/computer switching also seems to be better as I used to need to disable phone Bluetooth before using USB connection. It's new enough to me to not really be sure about either but I'm glad B&W seems invested in perfecting this.

BTW, I have never been able to get my Macbook Pro to recognize the PX over Bluetooth even after disabling my phone. Anyone else having issues with this?

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #1,425 of 2,912
How does switching between iPhone/ iPad and MacBook work? I am reluctant to connect to 4 devices if i have to disable Bluetooth every time to switch between iPhone and iPad or MacBook. There must be an intelligent way to do this. The manual does not answer this question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back