Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 14, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #1,111 of 2,912
Ordered the px today.I have owned both p9 and the p7w earlier.The p9 was very dark sounding maskering details,but was really fun for movies.The p7w was great to.So im looking forward to hear the px.Im mainly going to use them at home for allround use.I wanted a headset with bluetooth that i could use witm my mobile,and have an easy setup for just fast and fun listening.I also have the focal elear and beyerdynamic xelento.When im alone home,wich is not often,then im relaxing with the elears.When im on a train/bus or car,i use the xelentos (with comply for superior noise isolation).I also have an koss porta pro and shure se215,wich i use outside for walking.I use the xelentos outside to,but then it should be nice weather.My daughter have the bose qc35 wich i borrow somethimes when im doing housework..I listen to all kind of music,but i guess i will listen mostly to electronica,rock and pop on the pxs :D

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #1,113 of 2,912
Just to update my situation in case it helps anyone else's decision making.

I have decided to return these. Burned them in 40+ hours and spent a lengthy day and night listening to them. As well as periodic listening in between burn in sessions.
Sound is not great for me. Sound improved after burn-in for sure but still just okay. Comfort is far from great. Can't remember the last time ear cups have bothered me this much.
They are heavy and ANC just kind of works. Don't buy these if ANC is important. They are closed but they still leak sound.

Not really many positives I could give these besides maybe looks and build quality which is subjective.
I would actually say the P7W is far superior in all aspects to this. Even with the sound (bass) issues of the P7W.

The other thing is, there seems to be such polar opposite opinions on them. Leads me to believe you could just get a bad pair half the time.
Not willing to waste my time supporting a company who puts out a half baked product and attempts to fix it with firmware updates down the road or minor revisions.
Speaking of which it really annoys me that some people are getting their orders with newer firmware already installed and the rest of us are still waiting for a firmware update. Very ridiculous if you ask me.
The 2 should parallel each other. As soon as the new firmware was shipping it should have been released to the app. I don't care how minor or major the changes are.

Just so it is clear. My source is an iphone 7+ always used wireless. Combination of apple music and tidal.
I own and have owned headphones and gear that would approach summit fi levels. Not that it matters. Just qualifying my opinion.

Going to go back to the qc35 when I am plane travelling or need proper ANC, and a portable dac/amp for to and from work etc. and all other portable situations.

IMHO wireless audio is evolving but still not quite there to justify the cost of these.
That coupled with the fact that this is the first B&W headphone with technology involved (anc, app features etc) I think there are some growing pains that will happen.
A lot of the issues to me seem like "version 1" issues that will be hammered out and fixed making subsequent versions (hopefully) better.
First of all ANC is not bad whatsoever. I have used these on the bus, subway and plane and they are excellent.
Why is it ridiculous to wait for a firmware update? There is nothing wrong with these headphones. It seems you care more about firmware updates than the headphones themselves.
"Going back to the QC35" lol. They have such bad sound quality compared to these. Your ears need help.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #1,114 of 2,912
No distortion here. The record quality is better than Sam Smith (no dynamics, search Google for loudness war). What phone do you have. Best musicplayer with EQ for iOS is KaiserTone.

If you have time, try Ed Sheeran "Castle on the Hill." The chorus sounds absolutely rubbish with distortion and static, but I think that might just be what they were going for? I had a listen on my HD598 and it was a pretty similar experience.

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #1,115 of 2,912
Just bought a pair of these from John Lewis. They had a new batch in today and the firmware version on these is 1.062

Coming from a pair of Sennheiser Amperiors and these do sound very good out of the box. Not getting any boxed in feelings. Nice flat response, wide sound stage. They definitely sound better using BT than the wire though. The different settings of NC seem to have an associated EQ setting too as the sound changes a lot between Office, City, and Flight. Not a lot of background hiss on Flight mode but there is still something there albeit very high pitched. Strangely if you don't use NC there is a lot of extra background hiss that I found very noticeable after listening with NC on quiet sections. Could be part of the EQ applied when using NC though.

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #1,116 of 2,912
Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,119 of 2,912
Looks like an updated android app is out... and once installed allows for the firmware update.

SmartSelectImage_2017-11-14-22-46-24.png
SmartSelectImage_2017-11-14-22-50-17.png

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,123 of 2,912
That makes me feel a lot better. Thank you! I didn't expect to notice these types of details. I guess that's a testament to the experience the PX's offer.
Most of the commercial records like Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, etc. are mastered to a maximum sound level and to reach this level they increase the dynamic range (loudness war). I had the same experience with a bad record from Mumford & Sons. I have a really nice hifi system with ATC loudspeakers and I hear those distortion too.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #1,124 of 2,912
First of all ANC is not bad whatsoever. I have used these on the bus, subway and plane and they are excellent.
Why is it ridiculous to wait for a firmware update? There is nothing wrong with these headphones. It seems you care more about firmware updates than the headphones themselves.
"Going back to the QC35" lol. They have such bad sound quality compared to these. Your ears need help.

Did you even read my post?

I said it seems unfair that they are releasing new headphones with updated firmware and not releasing that firmware simultaneously to previous owners.
Legitimate gripe.

I also said I only use qc35 when actual ANC is needed like on a plane, which I stand by my statement the PX does not have adequate ANC. Activating ANC severely effects the sound in a negative way.
Full blast ANC on the PX sound worse then the qc35 and they do not bloack half of the sound the bose do.

Sorry you got so easily butt-hurt by one persons opinion.
Must be tough for you going through life like that feeling like you have to arbitrarily defend the stuff you own.

Glad you are happy with them though, enjoy!

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #1,125 of 2,912

Users who are viewing this thread

Back