Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 10, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #1,051 of 2,912
I just got these ordered directly from B&W 3 days ago. Seem to have the updated firmware.

B&W in Box.jpg.jpeg

Firmware.jpg

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #1,052 of 2,912
That's what I got from a quick search, was hoping that this was available at some places already. Thanks guys!

How long did it take to ship from UK to Aus? Hoping to get this pair before I travel in early December.

I'm also thinking of switching from a B&O H7 to this, anyone here have experience with both?
5 working days but alas audio sanctuary sold out again on friday.

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,055 of 2,912
Hey guys looking for a great wireless headphone. Has anyone tried the problem with the iPhone X?

What problem? The battery bug mentioned one page ago? Or all the "connection" issues etc...? I received my 2nd pair yesterday and paired them with my iPhone X - no problems. The first set I had I used with an iPhone 8 Plus, and it had problems connecting and staying paired after being connected by resetting the headphones. But that pair was faulted.

Regarding the battery, I noticed that in the iOS widget / status, it said 100% while in the B&W app it said 80%. But as I recall, this was also an issue with my P7W when I had them.

Nov 11, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #1,057 of 2,912
Finally got them. I can't really speak to the SQ as these are my first premium (?) HP.

Zero BT/connectivity issues.
Zero issues with the smart features, they work exactly as advertised.
Firmware v1.05
The app takes about 3 to 5 second to find the HP (Galaxy S8+).

So far so good.

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #1,059 of 2,912
After burn in this afternoon the PX opened more. So sound quality is now "OK".
The day after: sound quality now is amazing. More open, more room, bigger sound stage. I tried several apps on my iPhone 7: YouTube, Apple Music, radio apps, etc. and they sound all nice! During work I listen a lot of light classic music from Classic FM and I really like what I hear with the PX :ksc75smile:

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #1,060 of 2,912
False, APTX HD will process 24/48 vs APTX's 16/48 but that's about it. It is still lossy in it's current operation. With the advance of BT 5.0 however this could change as the technology matures.
Here is a good article about the current affair of Aptx HD.

https://www.androidauthority.com/aptx-hd-audio-codec-explained-789342/
Fascinating, they've increased the kbps with around 60 percent using the new format. Reading up, it is indeed lossy.

Qualcomm have some answers to the claim ''indistinguishable from high resolution audio", http://www.avhub.com.au/news/sound-image/aptx-hd---lossless-or-lossy-442124
We contacted Qualcomm with questions, and our thanks to Jonny McClintock, director of aptX Sales and Marketing at Qualcomm, for providing the following answers.

S+I: Can you confirm whether aptX HD is a lossless or lossy codec?
JM: The aptX HD is technically a Lossy codec. However as aptX HD uses a relatively gentle compression ratio of 4:1 it is non-destructive in nature. As it is based on ADPCM and not psycho-acoustic perceptual based principles, aptX HD uses predictive analysis rather than attempting to replicate the performance of the human hearing via a synthetic ear.

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #1,061 of 2,912
Fascinating, they've increased the kbps with around 60 percent using the new format. Reading up, it is indeed lossy.

Qualcomm have some answers to the claim ''indistinguishable from high resolution audio", http://www.avhub.com.au/news/sound-image/aptx-hd---lossless-or-lossy-442124
We contacted Qualcomm with questions, and our thanks to Jonny McClintock, director of aptX Sales and Marketing at Qualcomm, for providing the following answers.

JM: The aptX HD is technically a Lossy codec. However as aptX HD uses a relatively gentle compression ratio of 4:1 it is non-destructive in nature. As it is based on ADPCM and not psycho-acoustic perceptual based principles, aptX HD uses predictive analysis rather than attempting to replicate the performance of the human hearing via a synthetic ear.
And Sony LDAC is even better than Aptx HD

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #1,063 of 2,912

Why these questions never asked directly from the engineers and not the S&M guys? I any case,
APTX uses the same ADPCM coding, the article I linked has a diagram as well how much extra bits they used on those split bands. Aptx predates all the compression techniques as it dates back into the late '80s and it was originally developed for radio broadcasting. So Dolby DTS and MP3 are representing a newer approach actually well certainly by actual release dates.. Having said that I'm a fan of Aptx and Aptx HD or LDAC as they show the path forward to wireless transmissions for music aficionados like me, in fact I doubt I'll ever buy a headphone that is wired or lack wireless options.
Anyway back to topic. :)

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #1,064 of 2,912
will share one later when I can (at work right now :)). Initially I thought it was too small, but no its just "snug". Could be made for it.

Can you share a picture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back