Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 8, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #211 of 2,912
I was wondering how they would compare to the DSR9BT's. It seems that B&W has chosen a more balanced approach with the PX's. I think the DSR9BT's are very well balanced for a Bluetooth headphone making them a good listen. But I wish they were a pinch more forward or dynamicsounding like my P7W's. This is why I have both of them. Based on what you are describing B&W has kept that dynamic sound I like about their headphones while making the sound signature a little more proportional. Add in a effective but unobtrusive ANC and it has the making of a inventory reducing headphone, lol.
I heard the DSR9BT on a HiFi show but I was not impressed. It sounds a bit digital/cold where the PX sounds more analog/smooth.

Oct 8, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #212 of 2,912
I heard the DSR9BT on a HiFi show but I was not impressed. It sounds a bit digital/cold where the PX sounds more analog/smooth.
The DSR9BT does have a bit of a digital sound to them. It’s probably due to the digital drive system that’s incorporated in them.

Oct 8, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #214 of 2,912
Interesting for the past few days I had the motion sensor disabled because it was finicky. I just enabled it again today and it's working as advertised. Before it was pausing music while it was on my head lol

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #215 of 2,912
Same here... I put them through their first 24h of pink/white/brown noise, ran them in over the weekend.. And boy, what a difference that made... I first was torn between staying with my P7W and switching to the PX, but those 24h of run in seriously turned the table in favor of the PX.. Awesome cans.. :)

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #216 of 2,912
- the issue with the volume button of the P7W has been solved (it used to have a big gap with the lowest level which was hardly audible and the next one which was already to loud for some tracks, requiring to use the volume control of the smartphone)

B&W improves this tremendously with a firmware update (I think earlier this year), I had to use a computer to do the update. Before the upgrade, on certain tracks without replaygain enabled, I agree even at minimum 1 notch volume the sound was often too loud. After update it was acceptable (but still louder than Zik 3 at minimum).

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #217 of 2,912
Same here... I put them through their first 24h of pink/white/brown noise, ran them in over the weekend.. And boy, what a difference that made... I first was torn between staying with my P7W and switching to the PX, but those 24h of run in seriously turned the table in favor of the PX.. Awesome cans.. :)

how do you do that? what is your source for the pink noise file? Did you do it while ANC was on?

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #218 of 2,912
B&W improves this tremendously with a firmware update (I think earlier this year), I had to use a computer to do the update. Before the upgrade, on certain tracks without replaygain enabled, I agree even at minimum 1 notch volume the sound was often too loud. After update it was acceptable (but still louder than Zik 3 at minimum).

Thank you, Nanocheese, for sharing this useful info.
At the hp event I spoke with their representative about their addressing this issue with the PX compared to the P7W , and he didn't even share this.
I think the last time I checked was in the spring and I couldn't find a fix. Great to hear they made a fix available!

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #220 of 2,912
I received my pair at the weekend also. I currently have the P7W, which after much searching, buying/ selling, I found to be the best wireless headphones ever sound wise (for me personally).

I was very eager to try these. I only use these at home, so ANC was not too bothered about. Initially I was impressed with the clarify, separation and those mids are lovely. But I felt lacking in the bass. I am no bass head or audiophile at all, but like a little bit of excitement. That's why I really liked the P7W, not too much bass (compared to others), but enough to feel good. The PX bass is definitely better quality and tighter, but I i wish it had a little more.

Like others have said, the PX quality of sound is better than the P7W, with better comfort and looks. Only thing stopping me keeping them is the bass. When I heard the P7W, I instantly fell in love with the sound and got better and better. With these I don't fee the same, but then I am moving from a high benchmark. I am going to keep on using them and like others have said they get better the more they are used. As they are direct from B&W I have 60 days to give them a good audition.

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #221 of 2,912
Instructions for a great break-in of your new PX headphones:

- Disable the wear sensor to prevent auto-pause when you take off the headphones
- Disable ANC
- Connect USB-C to PC for power
- Connect mini-jack to PC for audio (alternatively drive the built-in USB-C DAC directly)
- Go to http://youtuberepeat.com/watch?v=L3CiZxstvEA&t=12s
(Since youtube does not offer repeat, the above link ensures that the track is being repeated endlessly)
- Select a good volume, not too loud, not to soft ..
- Hit play
- Wait :)

I personally intend to give my PXs a good 200 hour break-in, just like I would do for speakers .. But I guess there is no real recommendation here .. Just try and hear the cans improve :)

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #224 of 2,912
Very tempted. I have the P7W that I use every day now and I also have the P9’s, which I rarely use because I have just stopped using wired cans. My biggest gripe with the PX design is that it’s isn’t a folding design but rather a flat style. I have always had folding styles and right now they fit perfectly in my camera bag. The flat style would not fit and this is the bag I carry just about every day. Definitely going to be following these.

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #225 of 2,912
Very tempted. I have the P7W that I use every day now and I also have the P9’s, which I rarely use because I have just stopped using wired cans. My biggest gripe with the PX design is that it’s isn’t a folding design but rather a flat style. I have always had folding styles and right now they fit perfectly in my camera bag. The flat style would not fit and this is the bag I carry just about every day. Definitely going to be following these.

Buy a bigger bag :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back