Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 7, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #181 of 2,912
These are wireless ANC cans, first and foremost. If you aren't planning on using these functionalities on a regular basis, I'd advise you to spend that cash elsewhere. The PXes certainly aren't cheap, and you could pick up something like a HD650 for the same amount of cash if you want something for proper critical listening.

ANC cans will almost always sound strange with the canceling function disabled, there's quite a bit of sound processing to going on to make them work with the mics on the cans, and when you turn all that off the result is usually a garbled mess.

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #184 of 2,912
I have a pre-order on Beyerdynamic Aventho Wireless but B&W PX looks very promising as it coveres similar use-case and a little bit more (over-ear and ANC). I would be very interested in a comparison especially sound quality wise. But probably I will still need to wait for another 2-3 weeks to compare myself :) As I am a big Beyerdynamic fan I will stick with my pre-order but will compare the headphones in a shop that has B&W. Will post here and in the Aventho Wireless thread.

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #185 of 2,912
iPhone/IPad.
Yesterday I've listened to the PX in a local shop with my iPhone 7. My app is the default Apple music and I played MP3 320's (ripped with Exact Audio Copy). No EQ preset was selected in my iPhone settings.

I had an P7W but sold it because I didn't like the comfort, especially the headband. The PX is a different headphone and I realise it is always a personal taste. I like the PX more than the P7W. The PX has a more coherent sound, but I think the P7W has more punch. The PX is playing more "out of your head". So they are different. But I don't recognize a thin sound.

One of the upgrades I want to try is compare the sound quality over an APTX HD connection with an Astell & Kern AK70. I ordered a PX and an AK70. I expect them about 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #186 of 2,912
Can anyone do a cross comparison between the PX, the P7W, and PM-3s? I’m probably in the minority on this thread. ANC is not a huge priority, more like a plus for the occasional times I fly. Sound quality and convenience (either wireless or lightning) are first and foremost for me. Currently I’m using Meze 99s and from a sound quality perspective am happy but they’re not portable at all from a conveinence perspective.

Oct 8, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #187 of 2,912
Can anyone do a cross comparison between the PX, the P7W, and PM-3s? I’m probably in the minority on this thread. ANC is not a huge priority, more like a plus for the occasional times I fly. Sound quality and convenience (either wireless or lightning) are first and foremost for me. Currently I’m using Meze 99s and from a sound quality perspective am happy but they’re not portable at all from a conveinence perspective.

Someone else might be able to do better than I would. I haven’t listened to the pm-3 or p7 for over a year, but I have owned all three at one point so I’ll give my two cents. I still think the pm-3 is the most “neutral” of the bunch. The p7 is the most “boomy” and the PX to me stands closer to the pm-3. I think the PX sounds incredible. It’s pretty much a wireless pm-3. Pm-3 has better comfort, px would be second and I never liked how the p7 felt. I haven’t tried the px with the cable yet. Mostly with ANC off too. As I spend more time with the PX I’ll have a better idea

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #190 of 2,912
EF0E78BD-CABE-4A94-B93D-3E0F504F026B.jpeg 5432734D-885B-45C5-89E5-22607407B4F4.png Interesting some folks are saying the headphone sounds better with anc on. Bowers even says that it should sound better with it off.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #191 of 2,912
These are being slated in Amazon reviews, are people hearing different things to me or am I just settling for a sub standard headphone? They sound fine to me but I've only got Sennheiser ie8's to compare them to so obviously a different thing altogether. I think I get 30 days with Super Fi anyway so I'll have a week or so and see how I feel.

Sound quality is first and foremost with me especially as they cost so much, as someone said I could get a set of HD650's for the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back