Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 7, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #166 of 2,912
after many more hours of listening I'm far more impressed
  1. these things sound GOOD
  2. they seem to be breaking in, or I'm adjusting to them. either way I've been able to wear them for longer stretches
  3. played with the NC in a few different scenarios. I am 100% certain that it is negatively affecting sound quality. that being said, I think an earlier post nailed the description. "compressed and in your head". this is reduced by lowering the NC level, but NC disabled is just better. When enabled the NC is very capable of eliminating steady background noise, but voices or sudden noises (a single clap, dropped item, dog bark) it does little to nothing to. I have virtually no experience with the other big NC cans, so not sure how they compare there.
  4. battery life so far has been impressive. I charged them to full once after my very first listening session and after playing overnight they're still over 60%, well on track to meet the numbers provided by b&w
  5. to confirm what others have said, the app is pretty terrible. requiring location is just obnoxious, and I really don't understand why it takes 30-40 seconds to find the headphones that I'm currently playing music through

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #167 of 2,912
Great to hear some comparisons with the P7W -- please keep them coming!

I've been really bummed this week about these. I bought the P7W in late August, never spent this kind of money on headphones before, and hadn't known these PXs were coming out. If anyone knows of any return options I have being over a month out from buying given that a new model was released shortly after (whether from Best Buy or B&W -- I doubt it), I'm all ears. Not sure right now that I'd necessarily want to return them, though, even if I could.

Regarding sound, I had initially been dismayed by the heavy bass and recessed vocals as I posted about in the P7W thread. Do appreciate the warmth as well, though, and the fact that it seems harder to get ear fatigue with bad (loud) recordings due to the sound signature. Haven't had a huge amount of time listening yet, but I'm definitely getting more used to the P7W sound and liking it more and more, though certainly I know it's not ideal for some recordings as far as clarity and vocals not being as upfront.

So on a purely selfish note, I was bummed to hear that these new PXs might address the very things that bothered me, i.e. a more balanced sound signature, more upfront vocals, less bass, and perhaps more instrument detail. I still don't care about ANC but it's a nice little perk if the headphones are the same price anyway. I'm not sure how much the technical/software/comfort complaints about the PXs would bother me. I'll admit I'm kinda hoping to justify to myself that I've bought these pricey P7Ws and can feel good about them for the next couple of years! So, on a facetious note, those of you who have listened to both and prefer their P7Ws more, please post liberally! :ksc75smile:

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #168 of 2,912
Great to hear some comparisons with the P7W -- please keep them coming!

I've been really bummed this week about these. I bought the P7W in late August, never spent this kind of money on headphones before, and hadn't known these PXs were coming out. If anyone knows of any return options I have being over a month out from buying given that a new model was released shortly after (whether from Best Buy or B&W -- I doubt it), I'm all ears. Not sure right now that I'd necessarily want to return them, though, even if I could.

Regarding sound, I had initially been dismayed by the heavy bass and recessed vocals as I posted about in the P7W thread. Do appreciate the warmth as well, though, and the fact that it seems harder to get ear fatigue with bad (loud) recordings due to the sound signature. Haven't had a huge amount of time listening yet, but I'm definitely getting more used to the P7W sound and liking it more and more, though certainly I know it's not ideal for some recordings as far as clarity and vocals not being as upfront.

So on a purely selfish note, I was bummed to hear that these new PXs might address the very things that bothered me, i.e. a more balanced sound signature, more upfront vocals, less bass, and perhaps more instrument detail. I still don't care about ANC but it's a nice little perk if the headphones are the same price anyway. I'm not sure how much the technical/software/comfort complaints about the PXs would bother me. I'll admit I'm kinda hoping to justify to myself that I've bought these pricey P7Ws and can feel good about them for the next couple of years! So, on a facetious note, those of you who have listened to both and prefer their P7Ws more, please post liberally! :ksc75smile:
Look into Bowers and Wilkins 60 day return policy. You might be with in that. You might be able to explain to them your interest in the PX too

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #169 of 2,912
So, on a facetious note, those of you who have listened to both and prefer their P7Ws more, please post liberally! :ksc75smile:

Hi Michael, in my experience the PX is a bit clearer/brighter, with a less prominent (but not dry) bass, and yes, a more forward vocals and midrange. What’s weird is that tonite I had some pink noise playing through them and today I hear them slightly changed, more towards the P7 BUT still with a crispier midrange and less strong low mids. So I will meet tomorrow with my friend that purchased the PX with me but didn’t run his pair through any burn in process, to hear if something actually changed or just my brain getting confident with this sound.

The P7 have a very lively, punchy sound that makes good records shine, but I found not-so-stellar mastering on some way less pleasing to hear to, the PX seems more forgiving but some album I love (Live by Erykah Badu, as an example) on the P7 was sounding really more “alive”...Highway To Hell (AC/DC) on the P7 has a less bright guitar, and a bit more drive from the charleston and kick drum. Also, the bass was just right. On the PX both these albums are not bad at all, but not so immersive as they were on the P7

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #170 of 2,912
Has anyone been able to compare how the PX sounds wireless with ANC off to the P7/ P7W in wired configuration connected to a portable DAC/AMP?

Seems all the reviews are just PX wireless to P7 wireless on its own

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #171 of 2,912
Look into Bowers and Wilkins 60 day return policy. You might be with in that. You might be able to explain to them your interest in the PX too

Wow, thanks for the tip! I'm definitely within 60 days so it doesn't hurt at all for me to contact them and find out. Nothing to lose. If given the opportunity to essentially trade, I'll also have a little time to decide whether I really want to or not.

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #172 of 2,912
Hi Michael, in my experience the PX is a bit clearer/brighter, with a less prominent (but not dry) bass, and yes, a more forward vocals and midrange. What’s weird is that tonite I had some pink noise playing through them and today I hear them slightly changed, more towards the P7 BUT still with a crispier midrange and less strong low mids. So I will meet tomorrow with my friend that purchased the PX with me but didn’t run his pair through any burn in process, to hear if something actually changed or just my brain getting confident with this sound.

The P7 have a very lively, punchy sound that makes good records shine, but I found not-so-stellar mastering on some way less pleasing to hear to, the PX seems more forgiving but some album I love (Live by Erykah Badu, as an example) on the P7 was sounding really more “alive”...Highway To Hell (AC/DC) on the P7 has a less bright guitar, and a bit more drive from the charleston and kick drum. Also, the bass was just right. On the PX both these albums are not bad at all, but not so immersive as they were on the P7

Thanks a bunch, that's very helpful to know. Funny enough, Highway To Hell was specifically one of those albums that sounded better to me on my P7W than on my prior headphones. The current CD is bright and hard for me to hear for very long, but the P7W makes it possible! Some of the older, flatter sounding masterings, though, like my 1987 Let It Be, take a little more getting used to with the P7W... sounds a bit EQ'd and distant.

Ultimately this boils down to personal preferences as a lot of things do, but I'm rethinking what kind of sound I really want. For years, I've preferred and listened to a "flatter" kind of sound with no EQ. As you and others have mentioned, though, there can be a little extra juice that something like the P7W can add to some recordings, which does appear to make it more immersive and exciting at times. I'm considering just committing to it for a while... maybe I don't want the PX's more balanced sound (with its associated strengths) right now...

Too bad these things don't cost $20 instead of $400 -- I'd be doing a lot less obsessing about it! :smile_phones:

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #173 of 2,912
Hi all, newly registered member here. I was going back and forth between qc35 (on close out), qc35 MK2, 1000x (approaching close out) and 1000xm2 (almost ordered but the 1st batch available in the UK sold out before I pulled the trigger), then the PX's appeared. I ordered a set within an hour of the email landing!

I've a bit of previous with b&w with 601, 602 and LCR600 (S1, S2 and S3!) as my old av system, but none of their headphones. Indeed, those I tried briefly (either p3/5/7) were horrendously uncomfortable to my mind. The only other non basic phones I've had are Sennheiser RS180s. The only ANC phones I've tried are qc35 and 1000x but only in an airport departure lounge electrical shop. I do have a reasonable hifi setup (squeezebox, m2tech DAC/battery PSU, old Japanese 100W dual mono amp, Leema Xero speakers with BK400 sub) and prefer my reproduction lean and tight.

Anyhoo, I'm now on day 3 with the PXs, and here are my thoughts. This thread contains some very good info, well at least info that I agree with, and some not. The auto stop/start: it's remarkable and works exactly as advertised... sitting at my desk in the office. When moving around, or nudging to readjust the phones, it's a little to eager to get involved, even with the sensitivity turned down. I've turned it off completely for now. The app, works well but it's also a bit hit and miss, sometimes taking 30secs to connect (despite music playing at the time as previously stated), or requiring a restart of the app, not making the requested change etc. It's not a big problem really, probably most noticeable because of playing with new toy syndrome. Comfort I can't fault, I'm perfectly happy with them, the main thing being that my ears don't overheat quickly like they do with the RS180s. Which I guess only leaves the ANC and sound quality...

ANC: I haven't really got a basis to compare other than the afore mentioned playing in airport departure lounges. My feeling would be that they're not as isolating as Bose/Sony across the whole spectrum, but at continuous low frequency they do a really good job. I wore them out in my Caterham 7 the other night, which has a 98db (@5k rpm) side exit exhaust on it 0.5m from my ear and they cut that and the open top noise out exceptionally well. With all that I've read and experienced, I do wonder whether there's an amount of tuning to it all. Bose/Sony isolate better because their ANC is stronger, but this compromises their sound. The PXs sound better as the ANC has a lighter touch focused on 3 different sources of noise/situations. So flight is focused on low frequency drone, but in doing so this does indeed close the sound in. Office is much lighter ANC, and as such I can't hear much of a difference in sound quality between Office and off completely. The voice pass thing is scarily effective in Office and City, but to my ear makes little difference in Flight.

As for sound, I think balanced is the best descriptor. Everything is well judged without anything appearing particularly sparkling, or lacking. I think it's the kind of sound that takes a while to appreciate, but if you swap back to something less balanced it'll be immediately found wanting. I do miss some of the speed and clarity of the leading and trailing edges of notes that I get on my hifi but I presume that's not a fair comparison. The PX's do make the grade in my book as an audiofile product, whereas the times I've tried the qc35s I've found them to have good sound but lacking depth of capability in soundstage, space etc. So for me, with my preferences, and my specific use cases, I'm very happy, especially considering their beautiful design and build. I am however a bit desperate to properly try some back to back testing with qc35 and 1000xm2s to confirm or otherwise my present thoughts!

Hope this helps. :)

Oct 7, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #175 of 2,912
Well mine came today and initially I was a little disappointed with the sound, vocals were a bit boxed in and were a bit flat (compared to my Momentums which have more of a v curve and are a bit bass heavy). However, as the day as wore on, I'm either getting used to the sound signature or they are breaking in and starting to sound excellent! Very impressed with them and they most definitely won't be returned. I've got them paired up to my PC as well so these will be replacing my gaming headset (so nice to be wireless!)

I can only echo what people have said regarding the app, I'm finding the exact same results with it taking ages to recognize the PX's if it does at all without a complete restart, something B&W will surely have to address with future upgrades.

Overall very happy with my purchase :)

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #180 of 2,912
Well mine came today and initially I was a little disappointed with the sound, vocals were a bit boxed in and were a bit flat (compared to my Momentums which have more of a v curve and are a bit bass heavy). However, as the day as wore on, I'm either getting used to the sound signature or they are breaking in and starting to sound excellent! Very impressed with them and they most definitely won't be returned. I've got them paired up to my PC as well so these will be replacing my gaming headset (so nice to be wireless!)

I can only echo what people have said regarding the app, I'm finding the exact same results with it taking ages to recognize the PX's if it does at all without a complete restart, something B&W will surely have to address with future upgrades.

Overall very happy with my purchase :)
The only echo I here is when voice pass through is turned all the way up to amplified. Boxed in is a good way to put it with ANC on. I’m surprised how mediocre they sound with ANC off. The sound is thin and veiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back