Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 7, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #151 of 2,912
In reality I think that this is a non-issue for me.The battery life is long enough to reduce the possibility of it running out unexpectedly -there would be more chance that my source would lose power. Also more and more planes have power outlets and you can use the PX whilst charging. I always keep everything topped up in any case and this is no different to all my other gadgets. Also I never go out without a portable charger anyway.
I agree on the battery lasting very long (and it should do better after some recharge cycles), but my main doubt is how that will work when the internal battery will loose its maximum charge in some years of use. Not being able to use the HP powered off means that you’re always stressing the battery every time you use it, and when this will start to deteriorate it will get worse. The P7 and all of the different models I tried works as a passive HP with the cable, so if the battery stops working you still have a nice wired HP. This won’t, so it will become an expensive useless piece of gear in some year. Yes, I think it will still work with the USB plugged in, but that’s not good for mobile use

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #154 of 2,912
I agree on the battery lasting very long (and it should do better after some recharge cycles), but my main doubt is how that will work when the internal battery will loose its maximum charge in some years of use. Not being able to use the HP powered off means that you’re always stressing the battery every time you use it, and when this will start to deteriorate it will get worse. The P7 and all of the different models I tried works as a passive HP with the cable, so if the battery stops working you still have a nice wired HP. This won’t, so it will become an expensive useless piece of gear in some year. Yes, I think it will still work with the USB plugged in, but that’s not good for mobile use
I think these have to be seen as a piece of tech/consumer electronics and not like a conventional set of cans. The technology will continually improve and as such most users will have upgraded them by then.

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #155 of 2,912
Mine arrived Thursday direct from B&W. Not terribly impressed, considering returning them.

I’m comparing to wired P7s that I love and Westone Um pro 50, both wired and with their Bluetooth adapter.

I’ve attached them to my Pixel XL, via blue tooth, 3.5mm adapter and also attached them wired in the headphone outs of my Nu Force dac, fed by a Mutec3+USB reclocker from a desk top PC.

What’s not to like.

The don’t fold up, so transport means a duffle bag not a laptop bag.

They keep stopping music playback, fairly randomly, using Tidal (streamed on wifi or downloaded) and Google Play. You have to press the play button on your phone or on the right ear.

They’re tighter and less comfortable than the P7s.

Restarting music is annoying.

Attached to my DAC headphones put gives a buzz/home in the ear piece. This doesn’t happen with the P7s. Perhaps because the PXs have to be doing electronic jiggery even when getting analogue in Which means they need charge to work over the cable!

The app forces you to have location services on, on your phone, to connect to the phones. You can switch off after you’ve made a change ad they still work, and keep the settings you sent, but it’s a faff.

NC – The sound curve seems to change with it on off and in different settings. None seems to be “best”

And finally, maybe the wired P7s are “bad” (? Tell me) but I like them, and mine are well worn in, they’re open, as is the bass and that bass is really felt (might be wollowy), perhaps mids are missing, but the sound stage is open and lush, details are all there and music is enjoyable and emotional.

The PXs seem digital (my westones on BT don’t) yes they punchy, but the bass seems recessed and there’s a tinny-ness.

Perhaps they’ll grow on me…

Oct 7, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #158 of 2,912
Mine arrived Thursday direct from B&W. Not terribly impressed, considering returning them.
I’m comparing to wired P7s that I love and Westone Um pro 50, both wired and with their Bluetooth adapter.

I’ve attached them to my Pixel XL, via blue tooth, 3.5mm adapter and also attached them wired in the headphone outs of my Nu Force dac, fed by a Mutec3+USB reclocker from a desk top PC.

What’s not to like.

The don’t fold up, so transport means a duffle bag not a laptop bag.

They keep stopping music playback, fairly randomly, using Tidal (streamed on wifi or downloaded) and Google Play. You have to press the play button on your phone or on the right ear.

They’re tighter and less comfortable than the P7s.

Restarting music is annoying.

Attached to my DAC headphones put gives a buzz/home in the ear piece. This doesn’t happen with the P7s. Perhaps because the PXs have to be doing electronic jiggery even when getting analogue in Which means they need charge to work over the cable!

The app forces you to have location services on, on your phone, to connect to the phones. You can switch off after you’ve made a change ad they still work, and keep the settings you sent, but it’s a faff.

NC – The sound curve seems to change with it on off and in different settings. None seems to be “best”

And finally, maybe the wired P7s are “bad” (? Tell me) but I like them, and mine are well worn in, they’re open, as is the bass and that bass is really felt (might be wollowy), perhaps mids are missing, but the sound stage is open and lush, details are all there and music is enjoyable and emotional.

The PXs seem digital (my westones on BT don’t) yes they punchy, but the bass seems recessed and there’s a tinny-ness.

Perhaps they’ll grow on me…
Thank you for your impressions! Just 2 notes.
I don't think using them through 3.5mm jack is the best idea, as it would mean the sound would be converted to analog signal twice:
PC -> your external DAC/AMP -> ADC in headphone with upsampling -> DAC/AMP in headphone -> sound.
But, depending on the implementation, the quality loss could be minimal. Still, listening directly with the USB-C should give the best results.

As for the playback stopping, it's probably due to their autopause/autoplay feature, which can be disabled in the app. It might be improved with future firmware updates.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #160 of 2,912
Is the PX stable enough to workout with? The easily-replaceable earpads makes it tempting. Would wait for official word from B&W before attempting but most flagship portable headphones are sweat-resistant enough to take to the gym.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #162 of 2,912
Thank you for your impressions! Just 2 notes.
I don't think using them through 3.5mm jack is the best idea, as it would mean the sound would be converted to analog signal twice:
PC -> your external DAC/AMP -> ADC in headphone with upsampling -> DAC/AMP in headphone -> sound.
But, depending on the implementation, the quality loss could be minimal. Still, listening directly with the USB-C should give the best results.

As for the playback stopping, it's probably due to their autopause/autoplay feature, which can be disabled in the app. It might be improved with future firmware updates.

even with that disabled they randomly stop!
they don't act as a DAC over USB-C, it is only possible to charge them over USB-C. A chance missed there.
As for the multiple AD conversions with a 3.5mm cable, it was more of an experiment, and a failed one at that. Why do they have to A-d-A inputs on the 3.5mm? it's annoying and actually doesn't work when connected to a PC/DAC (because of the hum/buzz) sort of works when connected to a phone.

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #163 of 2,912
Have used mine a little more now and

- I still think they are step up SQ wise from the QC35s
- Having done some SBS testing I prefer my P7Ws. They just seem to have more weight (coming from an audio novice so others mileage may vary of this)
- The NC is variable. On my train journey to and from work yesterday they did a great job on the train noise, but on my walk home they fared worse on traffic noise and I could clearly hear vehicles approaching and passing me (volume about 50-60%) Not a big deal TBH but something that the Sonys and Bose do better on. I will be very interested in hearing how they do on a flight.

Still a keeper for me as whilst the P7Ws do sound better their passive isolation is imo not that great.

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #164 of 2,912
Is the PX stable enough to workout with? The easily-replaceable earpads makes it tempting. Would wait for official word from B&W before attempting but most flagship portable headphones are sweat-resistant enough to take to the gym.
perhaps not, I find them prone to sort of rolling forward. I keep having to push them back.

On a positive note, I've had white noise going for 20minutes unstopped now with them hung over a genelec speaker. So random stops aren't an issue if you turn off filters and sensing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back