Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 9, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #227 of 2,912
I have not tested it yet, but my assumption is that properly breaking in these headphones will also to some degree improve the sound in ANC mode. ANC is nothing but an active filter + some compensation algorithms that block out the external noise. By nature it will have some effect on the audio signal, but even then the improvements gained with breaking in these headphones should be audible in ANC mode.

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #228 of 2,912
For the record, USB audio *does* work fine on the Galaxy Note 8 with the PX connected ...

In an earlier thread someone mentioned that this did not work on the S8.. But given the fact that this indeed works on the Note 8, I am 100% convinced that there was some kind of misconfiguration..

Note: I used the USB-C to USB 2 adapter that came with the note in conjunction with the USB-C cable shipped with the Galaxy Note 8. Adapter on the phone side, cable to the PX.

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #229 of 2,912
Got mine today - First impressions are pretty favourable. I found that the office setting gives the best compromise between some background noise cancellation and decent sound quality. It definitely sounds thinner with the NR increased and this difference is more apparent to me than comparing the office setting and NR off completely. I’m sure however that the airplane setting would still give more than satisfactory sound on the subway or in the air (just not the can’s full potential).
The presentation is very different to my previous Sony MDR 1000x. Detail and soundstage are more than a match if not superior. Because of the wider soundstage I think voices lose some intimacy and edge compared to the Sony’s, however I’m adapting to this and really enjoying the overall presentation more. It’s certainly not as smooth and “cuddly” as the Sony’s, but definitely more accurate as far as initial impressions go. Noise reduction is definitely less of an out of the box solution than the Sony’s, however this is fine as long as you use the app to only increase it when really necessary. They are certainly heavier in build than the competition, but after suffering cracking plastic on the Sony’s I’m pleased to put up with this as they are fantastic to handle. Comfort wise I’ve found although they felt very different to begin with, they are absolutely fine on my relatively large head!
I have to say I’m really relieved I’m liking them so far - I was expecting something far worse from the reports coming in. I’m not sure if a few hours burning in this afternoon can have a noticeable effect, or I’m adapting to the differences, but the are only improving as time goes on so hopeful I won’t be returning.
One last thing - the AK70 has a very sensitive Bluetooth connection with these. I’m not sure if it’s the HD protocol, but slight movements can cause unpleasant dropouts. It was never perfect with the Sony’s, but is definitely worse with the PX. I put this down to the player, not the headphones.

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #230 of 2,912
One last thing - the AK70 has a very sensitive Bluetooth connection with these. I’m not sure if it’s the HD protocol, but slight movements can cause unpleasant dropouts. It was never perfect with the Sony’s, but is definitely worse with the PX. I put this down to the player, not the headphones.

Are you using the latest AK70 firmware? The AK70 supports aptX HD so the sound quality should be better than a smartphone or player without. Do you hear difference?

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #231 of 2,912
Audio Sanctuary in the UK have a very good price without VAT for those outside Europe, if anyone's looking to order. Good shipping rates too. Expecting stock Wednesday.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #235 of 2,912
Sorry if this has been answered, but does deactivating ANC change the sound signature like PCMag said it does?

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #236 of 2,912
Are you using the latest AK70 firmware? The AK70 supports aptX HD so the sound quality should be better than a smartphone or player without. Do you hear difference?
Yes it’s streaming aptX HD and a reassuring logo pops up each time it connects. Sound quality is in another league to my Galaxy S7 edge phone and even the flight NR sounds better. Annoying how ropey the connection is though - not such an issue for me as I’m usually sitting stationary, but it will be for others. I have found that if the player is on my left and I try to make any adjustments on the headphones, it causes a dropout. Doesn’t happen so much if the player is on my right!

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #239 of 2,912

Users who are viewing this thread

Back