Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 10, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #243 of 2,912
“The headphones sound thin, brittle, and unlike any B&W headphones we've tested before with the NC off.” PCMag said the sound basically loses all its power with ANC off.

Forget PCMAG. Don't know what they reviewed, but I cannot recognize the PX in their review. True, with ANC on, the SQ indeed takes a small hit, but that's to be expected. Without ANC however, they sound stellar, and they only improve when breaking them in properly. Having used a Bose QC25 and Q35 for my frequent travels, I am more than satisfied with the PX when ANC is on, especially with the higher granularity in ANC settings as opposed to Bose. In fact I was more dissatisfied with Bose's SQ in general than with the PXs ANC .. Which makes the PX my favorite cans, even if they do not entirely reach the Bose's ANC quality.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #244 of 2,912
I agree that the PCMag findings are completely at odds with my own - mine sound at their best with NC switched off and almost as good with the office setting. Thin and brittle are not words I could use to describe the sound quality on any of the settings to be honest.

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #245 of 2,912
I agree that the PCMag findings are completely at odds with my own - mine sound at their best with NC switched off and almost as good with the office setting. Thin and brittle are not words I could use to describe the sound quality on any of the settings to be honest.

Agreed ..

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #246 of 2,912
Will Best Buy be demoing them soon? Would like to try before potentially ordering. My local store has P5 and P7 wired demos.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #247 of 2,912
Will Best Buy be demoing them soon? Would like to try before potentially ordering. My local store has P5 and P7 wired demos.

Guess it's best to ask your local Best Buy staff. Not all shops demo all models. It is up to the local team to decide which cans they want to put in as demos. To be honest, having only an older P5 and P7 (pre-P7W) on demo does not bode well ..

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #248 of 2,912
In Denmark the release has been pushed back to the beginning of November as B&W want the next batch that goes for sale updates with some optimised software. Which will come to all already sold sets. That info is from danish retailer Hifi-Klubben

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #249 of 2,912
In Denmark the release has been pushed back to the beginning of November as B&W want the next batch that goes for sale updates with some optimised software. Which will come to all already sold sets. That info is from danish retailer Hifi-Klubben
That might explain why they're out of stock on their own website. I've ended up ordering from John Lewis so I can still easily return if I don't like them, but by the sounds of the more recent posts and reviews, I won't need to. They'll be replacing my Sennheiser M2 wireless, every comparison I've seen seems to favour the PX for sound quality so I hopefully won't be disappointed.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #250 of 2,912
That might explain why they're out of stock on their own website. I've ended up ordering from John Lewis so I can still easily return if I don't like them, but by the sounds of the more recent posts and reviews, I won't need to. They'll be replacing my Sennheiser M2 wireless, every comparison I've seen seems to favour the PX for sound quality so I hopefully won't be disappointed.

I already left the M2 for the P7W.. The PX are yet another step up :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #254 of 2,912
If you read this thread you can get very detailed answers to your PCMag question without asking people to repost (instead of apologizing just read, then ask), and nobody here speaks for your local Best Buy store so you'll need to ask them.

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #255 of 2,912
If you read this thread you can get very detailed answers to your PCMag question without asking people to repost (instead of apologizing just read, then ask), and nobody here speaks for your local Best Buy store so you'll need to ask them.

Just looking at the Best Buy website they don't have them yet. Many of the online retailers have good no hassle return policies. Many of the online retailers will ship in a day as well. So nothing to loose ordering them online.

I might just order them. Currently I have the wired P7's with a Dragonfly DAC/ Amp. Many of the reviews are saying these sound much improved over the P7W's. So the upside is that they will sound excellent without anything additional. The downside is that they don't scale up any sound improvements with an external DAC/ AMP like my P7's do. I'll probably just have to order them to compare which I like better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back