Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 8, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #196 of 2,912
These are being slated in Amazon reviews, are people hearing different things to me or am I just settling for a sub standard headphone? They sound fine to me but I've only got Sennheiser ie8's to compare them to so obviously a different thing altogether. I think I get 30 days with Super Fi anyway so I'll have a week or so and see how I feel.

Sound quality is first and foremost with me especially as they cost so much, as someone said I could get a set of HD650's for the same price.
Mine are coming from Super Fi tomorrow and I’m beginning to think there’s a chance I will be returning them - presumably they can’t refuse them if the box seal has been broken and they have been used to test?

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #197 of 2,912
Mine are coming from Super Fi tomorrow and I’m beginning to think there’s a chance I will be returning them - presumably they can’t refuse them if the box seal has been broken and they have been used to test?

No, they should have them back, I'm torn, I'm listening to them now and to my ears they sound incredible, I don't know if it's placebo, burn in, or just my lug holes getting used to them.

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #198 of 2,912
No, they should have them back, I'm torn, I'm listening to them now and to my ears they sound incredible, I don't know if it's placebo, burn in, or just my lug holes getting used to them.
Same as my experience, after some minute of being a bit disappointed, I had them running with some pink noise overnight and the morning after they were way different...deeper, less boxy, still almost linear in the lower freq

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #200 of 2,912
Same as my experience, after some minute of being a bit disappointed, I had them running with some pink noise overnight and the morning after they were way different...deeper, less boxy, still almost linear in the lower freq

I did the same, had them running overnight, today they seem to have opened up a lot. I think these definitely benefit from running in a bit.

Listening to Pearl Jam 10, the whole soundtrack has a weight to it that wasn't there yesterday. The detail these things pull from the recording is outstanding.

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #201 of 2,912
Can anyone do a cross comparison between the PX, the P7W, and PM-3s? I’m probably in the minority on this thread. ANC is not a huge priority, more like a plus for the occasional times I fly. Sound quality and convenience (either wireless or lightning) are first and foremost for me. Currently I’m using Meze 99s and from a sound quality perspective am happy but they’re not portable at all from a conveinence perspective.

Hi thubes,

(Link) - I compared my P7W with the PX's a few days ago and posted it on this thread.

I've never tried the PM-3's or the Meze 99's, so I can't comment on them.

I can say that these are more convenient in terms of portability and features than the P7W. Here are some reasons why:
1) They have a really neat play/pause/sleep feature. When you remove the headphones while the music is playing, it pauses the music. If the headphones remain off your head for ~5 minutes, then the headphones go into power saving mode (basically off) where they disconnect from BT. When you want to start listening again all you have to do is put the headphones back on your head. The headphones sensors will realize that you put on the headphones, so they'll power up, connect to BT, and play music (if your music app is still open on your device). In my short experience with these, this feature works pretty well.
2) They don't need to be folded to fit in their case, so quicker packing and unpacking.
3) They definitely feel more solidy-built than the P7W, so I expect them to be more durable and withstand daily commuting well.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #202 of 2,912
I did the same, had them running overnight, today they seem to have opened up a lot. I think these definitely benefit from running in a bit.

Listening to Pearl Jam 10, the whole soundtrack has a weight to it that wasn't there yesterday. The detail these things pull from the recording is outstanding.
I agree on the “weight” comment, it’s got a stronger Sound presence, as some cloth has been taken off from the drivers. I am reading very bad reviews on Amazon, looks like they’ve been written too early

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #204 of 2,912
Like I said... geared towards travelling with the ANC.

In my case If I want isolation while travelling I have my Bowers & Wilkins C5S2 ear buds that I pair with either an Astel & Kern Bluetooth adapter or my Dragon Fly Red.

For my P7 replacement for my needs the only reason I'd get the PX is if the sound quality of the PX will surpass the P7 wireless either wired to a small portable DAC/ Amp or wireless. From the reviews it seems as if this is not the case.

Here's to hoping that the P7 wireless was removed to make room for a P7 S2 wireless.
The c5 2 is actually not a bad can all I think. Not the most revealing earphone but sure is a lot of fun to listen too!

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #207 of 2,912
I listened to them yesterday at the headphone event in Rotterdam (NL), I will post a report of the event.
Because they are closed I could get a good impression (contrary to the open hps at such a noisy event).
Next to the different build, what seemed clear to me was:
- better definition and imaging than my P7W, yet still below my DSR9BT.
- noise cancelling works great, I haven't tried my NC phones in a while, so I can't say for sure, but my impression was: clearly stronger than my Momentum W, maybe like my Zik 2 and less then my QC35
- the issue with the volume button of the P7W has been solved (it used to have a big gap with the lowest level which was hardly audible and the next one which was already to loud for some tracks, requiring to use the volume control of the smartphone)
- quite fun-tuned like the P7W (the DSR9BT is not as much fun like this).
- my P7W is clearly a step above my Momentum W, Zik 2 , K845, etc., and the PX I was listening to at the event has widened this gap further.
It seems that the PX will make life difficult for the DSR9BT.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #208 of 2,912
I'm staggered at how much better the PX's sound after only a days use. Bass has improved and whatever veil it was that made them sound boxed in has now disappeared.

I find the treble extension perfect, I play drums so cymbal sounds are important to me, on the PX's they sound fine without sounding to abrasive or fatiguing, the treble roll off is superb.

I've decided in just the last few hours I'm definitely keeping mine. If you're yet to try yours don't give up on first listen, give them a day to open up, you'll be glad you do!

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #209 of 2,912
the issue with the volume button of the P7W has been solved (it used to have a big gap with the lowest level which was hardly audible and the next one which was already to loud for some tracks, requiring to use the volume control of the smartphone)

Dunno if I have a different revision or FW update but I find the P7W to have the best volume adjustments ever. It allows for very subtle increasing/decreasing.

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #210 of 2,912
I listened to them yesterday at the headphone event in Rotterdam (NL), I will post a report of the event.
Because they are closed I could get a good impression (contrary to the open hps at such a noisy event).
Next to the different build, what seemed clear to me was:
- better definition and imaging than my P7W, yet still below my DSR9BT.
- noise cancelling works great, I haven't tried my NC phones in a while, so I can't say for sure, but my impression was: clearly stronger than my Momentum W, maybe like my Zik 2 and less then my QC35
- the issue with the volume button of the P7W has been solved (it used to have a big gap with the lowest level which was hardly audible and the next one which was already to loud for some tracks, requiring to use the volume control of the smartphone)
- quite fun like the P7W (the DSR9BT is not fun like this).
- my P7W is clearly a step above my Momentum W, Zik 2 , K845, etc., and the PX I was listening to at the event has widened this gap further.
It seems that the PX will make life difficult for the DSR9BT.
I was wondering how they would compare to the DSR9BT's. It seems that B&W has chosen a more balanced approach with the PX's. I think the DSR9BT's are very well balanced for a Bluetooth headphone making them a good listen. But I wish they were a pinch more forward or dynamicsounding like my P7W's. This is why I have both of them. Based on what you are describing B&W has kept that dynamic sound I like about their headphones while making the sound signature a little more proportional. Add in a effective but unobtrusive ANC and it has the making of a inventory reducing headphone, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back