Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 5, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #46 of 2,912
I've no idea if they're paid, but they certainly sound like rushed reviews; hastily written after perhaps a few hours of auditioning and quickly thrown up online in order to get maximum clicks.

No harm waiting for more to come in.

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #50 of 2,912
Are these headphones a waste on an iPhone? My stupid iPhone doesn’t support aptx HD apparently.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #52 of 2,912
Not at all as the PX supports AAC too.

Yes, but the bandwidth is lower than aptx HD, so I will be using an inferior signal than what the headphone is capable off.

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #53 of 2,912
I do have a similar question as the interweb is not always clear on the respective merits of aptx or aptx-hd vs AAC. On an iPhone, I wonder about how the service that you use may be a consideration.

e.g. If using apple music then the 256 kbps AAC files will be passed un-altered so no bottleneck?? Whereas spotify 328 kbps mp3 variants may be downscaled and re-encoded before being passed??

So Spotify on Android using apt-x may be better than spotify on an iPhone but Apple music on iPhone may still comparable? No idea how real world AAC vs. APTX really pans out tbh.

I guess using lossless on Tidal or similar would be a different kettle of fish?

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #54 of 2,912
The temptation was too great so I just placed an order for these in blue/gold. I've previously had 2 sets of Sony's, both ended up with cracks so I managed to get a refund from John Lewis. I was going to wait it out to see if the replacement Sony model had fixed the build quality problem, however I'm confident these will be superior in that respect. I just hope sound quality is up to expectation as the Sony's were great in that respect.

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #55 of 2,912
Yes, but the bandwidth is lower than aptx HD, so I will be using an inferior signal than what the headphone is capable off.

256kbps AAC is nothing to sneeze at in terms of audio fidelity. It needs pretty good fixed setups to be differentiable against the original sources in blind tests.
So I don't think AAC is a limiting factor for sound quality today on portable wireless headphones which are designed around low power consumption.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #57 of 2,912
The temptation was too great so I just placed an order for these in blue/gold. I've previously had 2 sets of Sony's, both ended up with cracks so I managed to get a refund from John Lewis. I was going to wait it out to see if the replacement Sony model had fixed the build quality problem, however I'm confident these will be superior in that respect. I just hope sound quality is up to expectation as the Sony's were great in that respect.
I’m also coming from the 1000x, though I’ve been fortunate enough to not have cracking issues. I ordered the Mk 2 that’s yet to arrive. I expect the Px to best these in SQ but am concerned about NC since I will primarily use these on flights. The Sonys are the best compromise to date (excellent NC/above avg SQ).

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #58 of 2,912
I don't understand how anyone can like the 1000X. I had two pairs. The first one I returned the day I bought it and reported my dislike of them here. Several people told me I must have gotten a bad piece, so I got another one - exactly the same thing.
It distors with high volume, has absolutely _no_ dynamic (IMO the amplifier is severely underpowered) and whatever "good" sound you might get out of them is purely a trick of electronics - just like pressing Loudness on a cheap chinese radio that makes it sound less crap.
No multipoint support either.
The only good things about them was excellent comfort and a stellar ANC (much better than Bose or anything else).

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #59 of 2,912
I don't understand how anyone can like the 1000X. I had two pairs. The first one I returned the day I bought it and reported my dislike of them here. Several people told me I must have gotten a bad piece, so I got another one - exactly the same thing.
It distors with high volume, has absolutely _no_ dynamic (IMO the amplifier is severely underpowered) and whatever "good" sound you might get out of them is purely a trick of electronics - just like pressing Loudness on a cheap chinese radio that makes it sound less crap.
No multipoint support either.
The only good things about them was excellent comfort and a stellar ANC (much better than Bose or anything else).
Although I didn't experience any distortion that I could detect with my Astell and Kern AK70 with the Sony's, I hope you are right so the PX's will sound like a revelation to me!

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #60 of 2,912
Definitely subscribed. I currently have a pair of the P7 Wireless which I love, but I borrowed a pair of P9's from a local dealer and they were just better enough to wish for an upgrade. I am hoping the PX will deliver. I have read several reviews and only the PC Mag one has been negative and it was mainly due to glitches. They were the only one that said that noise canceling significantly affected the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back