Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 5, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #76 of 2,912
Is this a multipoint headset?
I've it connected to PC and smartphone no problem.
I think the point of the question was, how do you switch between devices? If you hit player stop on one device and start play on the second device, will it automatically switch over without having to go into Bluetooth settings? Bose has this feature but not Sony.

Another thing I don't like is that I've to have GPS enabled to use the app.
That's absurd. Do you mean if GPS isn't enabled, the app won't do anything until you enable GPS?

Oct 5, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #77 of 2,912
Since the ANC affects the sound quality... this sounds more like it's geared towards being a travel headphonen with some compromises.

I hope that the Px isn't meant to replace the P7. I hope the P7 was just removed from Bowers and Wilkins website to make room for a new redesigned P7 wireless.

Oct 5, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #78 of 2,912
I think the point of the question was, how do you switch between devices? If you hit player stop on one device and start play on the second device, will it automatically switch over without having to go into Bluetooth settings? Bose has this feature but not Sony.
Yeah once they're paired you can just switch by hitting the play button on the other device.

That's absurd. Do you mean if GPS isn't enabled, the app won't do anything until you enable GPS?
Indeed, it says something along the lines of "Activate Bluetooth and GPS on this device to use this App with your PX." in german. Can't proceed into the settings otherwise.

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/lqRivfd.png

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #79 of 2,912
Since the ANC affects the sound quality... this sounds more like it's geared towards being a travel headphonen with some compromises.

I hope that the Px isn't meant to replace the P7. I hope the P7 was just removed from Bowers and Wilkins website to make room for a new redesigned P7 wireless.

Its a tricky trade-off between ANC and sound quality. I guess we don't have a can that can excel at both. Looks to me like Bose is better on the ANC front and this PX should be better on the SQ front. When I am on a plane, if the background noise is high, great sound quality doesn't help much IMO. The QC 35 has good ANC, acceptable SQ and comfort, so I guess I will stick with it for now. If B&W can catch up with Bose on the ANC front, we might have a clear winner on our hands.

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #81 of 2,912
Its a tricky trade-off between ANC and sound quality. I guess we don't have a can that can excel at both. Looks to me like Bose is better on the ANC front and this PX should be better on the SQ front. When I am on a plane, if the background noise is high, great sound quality doesn't help much IMO. The QC 35 has good ANC, acceptable SQ and comfort, so I guess I will stick with it for now. If B&W can catch up with Bose on the ANC front, we might have a clear winner on our hands.

Like I said... geared towards travelling with the ANC.

In my case If I want isolation while travelling I have my Bowers & Wilkins C5S2 ear buds that I pair with either an Astel & Kern Bluetooth adapter or my Dragon Fly Red.

For my P7 replacement for my needs the only reason I'd get the PX is if the sound quality of the PX will surpass the P7 wireless either wired to a small portable DAC/ Amp or wireless. From the reviews it seems as if this is not the case.

Here's to hoping that the P7 wireless was removed to make room for a P7 S2 wireless.

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #82 of 2,912
Yeah once they're paired you can just switch by hitting the play button on the other device.

Indeed, it says something along the lines of "Activate Bluetooth and GPS on this device to use this App with your PX." in german. Can't proceed into the settings otherwise.

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/lqRivfd.png

Wow, what a bummer - the only reason being tracking data sales, no technical necessity behind it. Greedy move. This will backfire.
Well - 400 bucks NOT spent :wink:

Oct 5, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #84 of 2,912
Hi, I have a question.

As long as it keeps the sound quality of P7W, I don't mind it having %50 of the NC Bose has. It is better than nothing.

My question is: Do these get loud? I mean as loud as the P7W? Because P7Ws are very loud and I love it.

I also remember Bang & Olufsen's H9's having very low max volume and people were complaining about that. I just want to make sure that these cans don't have the same issue.

Oct 5, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #85 of 2,912
Requiring GPS in the app is...strange, but eh. There’re already probably a handful of apps on my phone that’re already tracking me, not to mention Google.

Weak ANC is disappointing, but this was B&W’s first try. Might just hang on to my P7Ws if the upgrade isn’t worth it.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #89 of 2,912
Just came back from auditioning the PXes at my local B&W showroom. I couldn't test them out as well as I would have liked, as the salesman was adamant on demoing them through the app on his iPhone (AAC, not aptX HD :\) and just wouldn't leave my side, but from what I heard, B&W may have a winner here. Quick thoughts below:

- These are very well built, but you'd expect that, coming from B&W. The P7Ws were built like tanks but you'd sometimes feel like you were wearing one on your head. The PXes look sleek with ballistic nylon and matte headband posts, these materials might even handle wear and tear better than the P7s
- Clamping force on the P7s was pretty awful until you broke them in, no such worries with the PXes...yet. Headband feels good, but I'm still not sure about the earcups. If you look at product shots you'll see the earcups are almost overly sculpted? They don't seem very plush and I could feel that. Perhaps I've been spoilt by the earcups on the QC35s and the B&O H9s, but this may be a potential pain point here. Not a dealbreaker by any means, perhaps they just need to be broken in like the headband on the P7s did.
- You can control ANC and motion controls through the app, all I wanted from it was the option to turn off motion controls from there lol, and it's definitely there. For the privacy freaks, you can probably configure your cans in here to your liking, then uninstall the app and be done with that.
- ANC seems to be decent? The aforementioned salesman was blabbering in my ear about the PX'es features and I could not hear him at all, so yay, I guess. That said, they don't block off sound as well as the Sony WH-1000XM2s. If I had to give a ballpark figure,the PX's ANC is probably about 70% as effective as the market leaders (Bose, Sony). A good first effort.
- Now, sound. I forgot to test for loudness but these aren't as punchy as the P7Ws. IMO, a very good thing. The PX is a much better sonically balanced can, while it's still got a fun sound signature, the bass is more restrained which lets the mids come to the fore. A really pleasant sounding headphone.

I really didn't have much of a listening session with these puppies, but I've heard enough to ascertain that these are very different indeed from the P7Ws. The ANC is competent, it's built of hardier materials, and it's not as aggressive sounding as the P7W. The PXes are on backorder till December in my parts (!), but I've put in the order for one. What I've heard has definitely sold me.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #90 of 2,912
As long as PX has better or on par ANC than H8/H9 I am sold.
It does. The H9s are my daily drivers so I'm very familiar with these cans. If the ANC on the PXes are 70% as good as the market leaders, the H9s are about 50% as good. The H9s are the most comfy headphones I've had on my head, by far, and the PX is quite a ways behind them. Hell, even the new Sonys feel better on my head. The PX'es earcups just aren't very plush, either that or they need to be broken in first. Sound-wise, the PX has a more neutral sound signature. Still V-shaped, but the bass isn't as spread out as the H9's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back