Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jan 11, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #1,666 of 2,912
Interesting discovery I had with these:

Just to try, I plugged the USB C-A into an A-mini USB converter, and then into my S7, and was able to listen to audio over USB. I'm not sure what the drain will be like, but that's great news as far as I'm concerned.

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #1,668 of 2,912
I've been using a pair of B&W PX headphones now for a little more than 3 weeks. Several months ago I decided to invest in some higher quality headphones and auditioned several headphones in the $300-$500 range. At the time I really liked the B&W P7s, they felt great and the sound was phenomenal. I'm by no means a true audiophile, but I do appreciate a good sound and had decided I needed more then what my Sennheiser HD 280 Pros were giving me. Long story short, by the time it came to pull the trigger on new headphones I had gotten a new phone that didn't have a headphone jack so wireless was now an option and the PXs were out. I started following this thread and eventually picked the PX over P7W as I liked the option of ANC as well as the look, upgradability and the good reviews given here.

So here's my review of the PX after probably 50 hours of use.

Sound:
Compared to what I used to own and what I've tested these sound amazing. Music is full, bright and engaging. I listen mostly to mp3, aac and streaming so the source quality isn't always very high but these headphones make all of them sound great. The lossless sources I have sound tremendous. I'm going to have to resist jumping down the lossless rabbit hole now. I listen to a wide range of music genres from classical, jazz and rock to alternative and some electronic. The PXs sounded great with all of them. EDM could've used more bass but its not something I listen to a lot. The sound I get from these headphones has made me fall in love again with listening to music for the sake of listening.

Comfort:
This was a big deal for me and one thing that frustrated the heck out of me at first. Had me to the point of boxing them back up and almost returning them. As others have mentioned, these are heavy headphones. The ear pads are stiff and the headband seems light on padding.From the first time I put them on they clamped down hard and seemed nothing I could do could make them comfortable. I wear glasses and that just added to the discomfort. I wore them the first time for about 4 hours while doing some baking before Christmas. I loved the sound and it was great not having to deal with a wire but I was constantly fussing with them, adjusting them, pulling them off and on, anything to get them comfortable. They were pretty covered with flour by the time I was done. I was convinced I would return them but as luck would have it weather kept me from going to the store and returning them. Instead I sat around testing them with all types of music and source quality and really fell in love with the sound. After probably 8 hours of use I started noticing that they were feeling more comfortable. I will say at this point they feel so good I don't notice them much. The pads have adjusted to my head, but I still feel some pressure when over my glasses and they can become a little uncomfortable. I haven't felt the seal breaking when I move my head. I still fiddle sometimes with the adjustments and due to a bit of a point on the top of my head I have to push the headband back every so often. Overall, I'd say while not the most comfortable headphones I've used, they've become more than comfortable enough for me. You'll definitely need to endure some break-in time but in the end they do get comfortable and well worth the effort.

Features:
  • ANC: I didn't get these specifically for ANC, more of a nice to have feature. That said I'm happy with it and it seems to work well. I've been able to listen and not be distracted while my son and his friends played XBOX in the same room. In the office, they work well keeping out the hallway conversations and speakerphone users. I do notice a drop in sound quality with ANC . I did try a pair of Bose QC 35s and was amazed at how well they blocked out sound, but they didn't have the overall sound quality of the PX. The PXs do a pretty good job of noise isolation by themselves so I don't need the ANC often but its nice to have it for when I do.
  • Bluetooth: I had some initial problems with getting them to stay on and connected but one reset then later a firmware update seems to have fixed those issues. I use them with my Macbook and iPhone and its nice to switch between the two. This isn't foolproof and fails at times but its a nice option and I'm sure B&W will improve it.

• Wear Sensor: Wow, did this thing annoy me when I first tried using it. Just adjusting my glasses or readjusting the headband could stop the music. I tried different levels to no avail. Maybe the firmware update helped or finally breaking in the pads did but the wear sensor works better now. I still have issues with it turning off sometimes and it turns off the music when you take them off but the music starts again when I put them down, regardless of direction of pads. It is nice that they turn on and reconnect after you put them on which is great when in the office and I have to get up frequently. Overall I think there is still work to do on this feature. Oh and without the wear sensor on, the headphones disconnect and shutdown after 2 minutes requiring you to turn them on and reconnect. This is an oddly short amount of time and a hassle in an office.

• USB-C: This was a really nice feature, no forcing a micro-usb plug in upside down. I've also noticed that it seems to charge pretty quickly but not sure if this is related to USB-C. Listening through USB-C connected to Macbook is really great, sounds better than through 3.5mm plug. I listen using the USB-C often when connected at home to my laptop, really best sound to me.

• Battery life: Amazing, I've easily gotten 20+ hours on one charge. Recharge times are amazingly fast, I've recharged full from 50% in 30 minutes, 1-1.5 hours from less than 10%

• App: While a little sparse in features and it can take time to sync with headphones, the app gives options to change ANC and wear sensor settings. It also gives a more reliable battery percentage. There's room for improvement but the app is nice to have.
Pros:
  • Sound, these sound incredible. While sound is surely subjective and some with better ears for quality sound might disagree on the PX sound quality, but I think most folks moving up to higher-end headphones will appreciate the B&W PX.
  • Bluetooth, you can pair 2 devices and alternate between them without disconnecting.
  • Great build quality. From the metal arms to the nylon covering these really do feel worth what you pay for them. Feel they'll last me a good long time.
  • Updatable firmware, B&W can fix issues and add/improve features to make the PX even better.
  • USB-C, I think they sound even better through USB and charges fast.
Cons:
  • No passive mode, not being able to use these without a battery charge is disappointing. Battery life is great but not having passive mode means no option when batteries fail at some point.
  • 2 minute cut-off, wish this was adjustable within the app.
  • Wear sensor, not truly a con but it can act odd at times and mess with listening. When it works right and it does most of the time its a nice feature. Keep working on in B&W
  • Comfort, small con as they'll get more comfortable with wear, but I find it hard to believe that no engineers at B&W wear glasses, if they did these would be more comfortable for us glasses wearers.
I'm glad I chose the B&W PX, they a great step up for me and I've been really happy with them though it did take some time to get acquainted with them.

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #1,670 of 2,912
hiya,
i have a quick question. can i somehow use a2dp (aptx) for playback and handsfree for the mic in windows? a short research revealed that a bt device needs aptx for that (check!), but its not enough, its still headphone specific. my main interest is teamspeak which may involve watching a movie/playing a game in the foreground, so the god-awful handsfree profile is not enough.
thanks, g

Jan 13, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #1,673 of 2,912
unfortunatelly ill have to bid farewell to you, good people of this topic, the px has to be sent back.
some people in the future might find my experiences helpful so here is why.

(((the story so far. my christmas gift from my family was a pair of noise cancelling headphoes of my choice. my use was to be home use with a pc, excluding the damned noisy neighbours of my life. most sources acclaimed the bose qc 35 and sony wh-1000xm2. as the bose doesnt support aptx i chose the sony. i was quite content with it, anc is superb, sq is good, comfortable, extensive app options. on the bad side noticeable latency - i set my video player to -150ms i think -, plasticky feel, stupid auto turn-off. then, after 2-3 days i could hear a constant pink noise-like hissing on the left and i sent it back. the second pair of sony showed the same issue on the right side after only one day (NOT my ears!), plus the dreaded headband cackling. sent it back, and thought about my next move. of the sennheiser hd1 only the pink floyd edition is available in my country, expensive as hell and ugly, the pxc 550 pricey and reportedly inferior anc compared to the bose and sony, i didnt want the bose because of the lack of aptx, there arent too many good opinions around of the plantronics - so i started to read up on the px and the b&o h9. there werent direct comparisons in the matter of anc to the bose/sony level, so i asked around here - thanks folks for the replies! - and chose the px.)))

first day.
-these are one sexy pair of headphones. not as pretty as on the pictures but photoshop could make even me prettier.
-there was a lot of pressure on my head (i think i have a medium-sized head) + a very uncomfortable sense of pressure in my ears, both resulting in a feeling just this side of a headache. still, im a you-break-me-in i-break-you-in kinda guy (had a few martens boots in my youth) and didnt lose hope.
-range is great, they almost never skipped when venturing to the kitchen or bathroom. the sony was worse.
-build seems to be very convincing. they look and feel as they could last a decade or more (at least structurally).
-on/off sensors are stupid. i take them off, nothing happens, take them back on, the music stops. still this can be adjusted in the phone app, so again i didnt care much (i dont own an android or apple phone, playing with the app requires of me a short trip to my brother)
-connecting to pc is a hassle. after sending the cans and my pc (and myself) to sleep and wake all the aforementioned up in different order the px connects automatically to the pc (via a logilink aptx capable csr dongle) but theres no sound. i had to open bt devices, enter the headphone profiles window, disconnect the a2dp profile and reconnect it. this is absurd to do twice a day, there was no need to jump such hoops with the sony. i did everything i could (power management in windows, pm of the dongle, setting autoconnect in the bt software), nothing helped.

second/third day.
-comfort got much better.
-became a hesitant believer of the burn-in theory though im still not sure if the cans burn in or my ears get used to their sound. (< means sound got better for me.)
-played around a bit and to my greatest surprise i found that there is no noticeable bt lag. to my knowledge it is unheard of with aptx hd headphones!!!
-played around with anc. my greatest grief with my neighbours is the thumping noise of the kids running around and drumming, same family, two floors(!) above so in my case the anc has to do a good job in low frequencies. the sony did a great job of this, so did a bose qc 25 that was lent to me. a quick test revealed (me beating my desk with my nails, me thumping a wall with my palm, neither of them hard) that the px does next to nothing with these kind of noises. i didnt get desperate (yet) as i (dis)remembered i read somewhere that the default level of anc is not the strongest and voice pass-through might be enabled - lets see the app first, i thought.
-in the garden next to our house people did some work (20 meters at least). my window was open a bit (10cm) and though i couldnt hear what they talk about i could very clearly hear them - with anc on. again, i didnt lose hope, see the point above.

fourth day.
-its weekend, my neighbours are most active this time of the week. anc didnt do much with the incoming sensory assaults, so i rode to my brother - lets see that app! a most disappointing result: anc was on its maximum already and voice passthru was off. so i had to realize: from this pair of cans i can only expect this much (next to nothing) in the matter of defending me from the outside world - desperation beckons... i decided to leave the pair with my brother to play with them a bit and i will send them back next week...

i left out a few things that many people discussed before, yes, sq is usb-c > bt aptx; anc off > anc on. the 8x pairing, 2x connection is great.

im not sure where to go from here. anything that might be better is even more expensive. i think ill get a denon ah-gc20 which is far from being acclaimed much but according to the measurements of rtings.com they do a great (not excellent) job on low frequency noise cancelling. if thats not enough ill move backwards (mobility, possibly sq-wise), bite the bullet and acquire a bose qc 25...

anyway, i was warned and can only repeat: these are great cans, plenty to love here but if youre looking for a pair of anc headphones, forget these. think of the anc of the px as an added extra feature - you shouldnt buy these with anc in mind.

so so long and thanks for all the fish (and replies and advices and information)!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #1,675 of 2,912
Hi Guys,

I have just bought one of these.
I want to try it out with my phone in USB DAC mode.
My phone has 3.1 Type-C connector, so I would need a Type-C to Type-C cable.
Anybody knows if the PX supports 3.0/3.1?
In the specs it just says Type-C, but that just defines the type of the connector, not the bandwidth inside.
It probably doesn't matter, the reason I'm asking because I could buy Type-C to Type-C both in USB 3.1 and 2.0 and the prices are a little different here.

Thanks!

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #1,677 of 2,912
I have to say, when it comes to sound and comfort I´m really starting to love these headphones! Other than the sound leak I've been going on about, I'm really happy with these. I hope I can live with the leak issue! And maybe its getting better when the earpads are getting softer. :D
But, one thing I wonder about: I have a iPad Pro. Bought a Lightning to USB-C cable and reckoned that this would make it possible for meg to listen to the iPad via the lightning port. But I don't get any sound. Since the Lightning port can send audio to other headphones I cannot understand why this shouldn't work.
Anyone have any inout or experience with this?

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #1,678 of 2,912
I have to say, when it comes to sound and comfort I´m really starting to love these headphones! Other than the sound leak I've been going on about, I'm really happy with these. I hope I can live with the leak issue! And maybe its getting better when the earpads are getting softer. :D
But, one thing I wonder about: I have a iPad Pro. Bought a Lightning to USB-C cable and reckoned that this would make it possible for meg to listen to the iPad via the lightning port. But I don't get any sound. Since the Lightning port can send audio to other headphones I cannot understand why this shouldn't work.

I’m using it right now with an iPad Air, but the adaptor that I’m using is the powered one, if I remove the Lightning power cable it simply doesn’t work

96874626-F458-4CD8-8D52-B6CBBF194D20.jpeg

I hope it helps.

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,679 of 2,912
Since the Lightning port can send audio to other headphones I cannot understand why this shouldn't work.
What jmfoto said. You’ll need a USB 3 to C cable, and the camera connection dongle (which has input for both Lightning and USB 3). Unfortunately the PX needs to be powered when playing audio via USB from an iOS device. From a Mac, though, just using a standard USB C cable works fine.

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #1,680 of 2,912
What jmfoto said. You’ll need a USB 3 to C cable, and the camera connection dongle (which has input for both Lightning and USB 3). Unfortunately the PX needs to be powered when playing audio via USB from an iOS device. From a Mac, though, just using a standard USB C cable works fine.

FWIW, on Android whether your device has USB-C or Mini USB, you can connect directly and listen over USB without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back