Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Jan 25, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #1,066 of 1,155
I was looking through the manual for the PI7 S2 on B & W website and saw this:

3.3 Ambient Pass-Through Pi7 S2 features Ambient Pass-Through, which allows some external noise from the surrounding environment, such as safety announcements or conversations, to be heard without removing the earbuds. Use the Bowers & Wilkins Music app to enable/ disable Ambient Pass-Through and adjust the Ambient Pass-Through level to suit your needs.

Sadly we still won't be able to switch on Ambient Pass-Through from the buds. That's kind of a deal breaker for me. I love my Pi7 v1s even with the quarks. Not seeing much right now that makes me want to pull the trigger on the S2 outside of the 30% discount.
That is a bummer. B&W are making some strange usability decisions these days - I can see no obvious reason why ambient mode cannot be enabled as one of the settings on the Pi7/S2 when engaging noise cancelling (which currently cycles through off, on and adaptive). Similarly, it makes little sense on the PX7 S2 and PX8 that one has to choose between either triggering noise cancelling/ambient modes or voice assistant with the one designated button on the left ear cup - why not program a short press or multiple press to allow both? It used to be that a long press of the multifunction button on the right earcup (on the PX7) engaged the default voice assistant of the connected device - a feature removed from these headphones.

My biggest gripe with B&W headphones it there appears to be little firmware or software support for products. Fingers crossed this is changing with the latest range, but no signs of it so far.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #1,069 of 1,155
I'm torn as to whether to get these. Pretty happy with pi7 I have, though the 30% discount and new colors are very tempting. I guess I'll wait for some feedback from users before deciding.
If the US is like the UK, B&W have a 30 day money back guarantee. Discount code is very limited.

I suspect the updates to the previous generation are few - seem to be better connectivity, slightly longer battery life and new finishes. No talk of upgraded SQ or any different drivers or tech on the mics. No idea if there will be any changes in ANC quality or call quality - nothing really obvious from the marketing blurb, so I guess that means no claimed improvements.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,070 of 1,155
Ordered. Sold my first gen after I saw these were coming. 30% off code sealed the deal. :L3000:

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #1,071 of 1,155
It's a testament to how poor general audio review outlets are that not a single one has noticed or mentioned the iOS volume issue vs Aptx hD, let alone the quality difference. And so none are commenting on whether it's sorted to some degree.

It kind of boggles the mind that when your job is to test audio that you can't discern such a glaring factor like codecs, which pretty much everyone in this thread has noted.

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #1,072 of 1,155
Well I folded and ordered the blue color S2. I could not resist the discount. One of my daughters or son-in-law will soon be sporting the original PI7, in it's not so original case protector. :darthsmile: Anyone know if the S2's charge case is the same size or if the Apple iPhone app. is the same app.?IMG_9973.jpeg
I will be happy if you can share your experience with s2 according to the following issues i get with first edition:
1. several connectivity issues (a. some times after pick up them form the case only one bud is working and sometimes no one although seems that be connected with the iphone, i have to put them back to the case and pick up them again, b. when i put them in ear without listening to music right bud disconnected, c. in the gym when i am down of some aluminum material only one bud is working.
2. I don't thing that the battery last for 4 hours, cause the battery of the right bud ends first when the left bud seems to be in 30-40% with battery.
3. Anc sometimes auto disconnected when i pick them from the case
thanq

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #1,074 of 1,155
I will be happy if you can share your experience with s2 according to the following issues i get with first edition:
1. several connectivity issues (a. some times after pick up them form the case only one bud is working and sometimes no one although seems that be connected with the iphone, i have to put them back to the case and pick up them again, b. when i put them in ear without listening to music right bud disconnected, c. in the gym when i am down of some aluminum material only one bud is working.
2. I don't thing that the battery last for 4 hours, cause the battery of the right bud ends first when the left bud seems to be in 30-40% with battery.
3. Anc sometimes auto disconnected when i pick them from the case
thanq
I certainly will share my experience with the S2, they have not shipped yet.

I will say I was having some drop outs while connected to my M1 MacMini just before I shipped the S1 out to my daughter. I never had sound drop outs when using it with my iPad Pro, or iPhone 13. I think the M1 MacMini has been known to have BT issues. It probably doesn't help that I have a OWC hard drive and USB dock stacked on top of it, but I have a very small desk. I plan to unstack them eventually.

I think my desktop set-up has too many active BT devices going at the same time. Two Apple HomePod mini speakers, BT Apple trackpad, Amazon Echo, Logitech keyboard and Logitech mouse. My iPhone is also on the desk. Whether at those BT devices were causing drop outs I do not know. It will be interesting to see if the S2 works better with my M1 MacMini than the S1 (note that was only a recent issue with the S1). That said my BT over the ear headphones don't seem to have many issues with the MacMini.

There are just so many variables, but if we all share information maybe we can get back to enjoying the music. :beerchug:

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #1,076 of 1,155
Mine have shipped and been delivered to my home address. I am about to travel home via train (with my recently acquired PX8s), so will share experiences once i get my sticky mits on them and have had a chance to form some initial views. So, all being equal, expect some comments from me around this time tomorrow.
We look forward to your findings! Just don't wear the iP7 S2 and the Px8s at the same time. :ksc75smile: Or maybe I've invented the next headphone trend! I keep checking my e-mail for my S2 shipment. No joy yet.

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #1,078 of 1,155
Mine have shipped and been delivered to my home address. I am about to travel home via train (with my recently acquired PX8s), so will share experiences once i get my sticky mits on them and have had a chance to form some initial views. So, all being equal, expect some comments from me around this time tomorrow.
Some very initial views, from some limited use. Very little difference from the Pi7, in the sense that these are more a revision (0.5) than a V2. Not aware of any change in sound profile, mics or ANC (though need to test against the original Pi7). So far, so expected. Connection does seem better, as I used them when out walking the dog (with Samsung S22U), and no drops or interference - which I have had in the past. That is encouraging. Will test with my Iphone 13 Pro Max to confirm whether the volume issue manifests itself.

It does connect via the B&W music app, which is an advantage over the older headphone app.

One disappointing note for those who have had problems getting apt-x adaptive to pick up as apt-x HD on certain devices. My original A&K Kann and Sony NW-A 105, I havethat issue, and nothing has been done to address this with the Pi7 S2 - eg Sony still connects to them as apt-x (vanilla) and the Kann keeps losing connection (so does not connect apt-x HD).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back